Author Topic: low screen quality theory...  (Read 2923 times)

gibberish (OP)

• Obscure Handhelds
low screen quality theory...
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »
i dont know how plausible this is, but to me it looks kind of like the pixels are misaligned. rows 1, 3, 5, 7 etc look to be shunted 1 pixel off to the left, creating a blurry looking image. you can see what i mean if you look to the edges of the screen. no idea if i'm right but i find it hard to believe screens of this poor quality exist in todays world, so maybe it's just a software problem?

Snip

Re: low screen quality theory...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:21 am »
For me the lcd hardware is as good as the A320 one... Or maybe better.

I think the blurry effect result of how the dingoo hardware display its informations on the lcd. As I said somewhere else on the forum, it is as if every picture is computed in a bigger resolution then the graphic chip scale it down to 320x240 before displaying it on  lcd screen. If they use a bad resample algorithm, it can give that kind of results... Maybe...

I hope this is the problem so quality could be greater by using a better resample code.

I will try to reproduce it on pc just to see...

clach04

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:29 am »
For me the lcd hardware is as good as the A320 one... Or maybe better.

I think the blurry effect result of how the dingoo hardware display its informations on the lcd. As I said somewhere else on the forum, it is as if every picture is computed in a bigger resolution then the graphic chip scale it down to 320x240 before displaying it on  lcd screen. If they use a bad resample algorithm, it can give that kind of results... Maybe...

I hope this is the problem so quality could be greater by using a better resample code.

I will try to reproduce it on pc just to see...

One way to test this theory out, try viewing a 320x240 png and see how that looks. This should not be using any scalers or filters which are almost certainly being used for emus.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:19 am »
The blurry effect comes from the fact that the dingoo screen is a 240x320 one, which means it should be in theory put vertically like on a cell phone. As a result, each eye does not receive the same luminosity and level of colors, and the picture looks blurry.

Edit: That's for dingoos.

The gemei does not have a "dot matrix" LCD like the A320; on its screen, the pixels are not aligned. Those screens are made for video, where it makes the picture better. For emulation or text display however, the result looks bad.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:30:26 am by Ayla »

yoshi41

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »
I like the screen, arcade games look more authentic (TV like). A problem might be the viewing angle.

The GA330 LCD has a honeycomb pattern (if you take a very close look), this makes the picture look blurry imho.

The Dingoo A320 has a square pattern, the pixels are perfectly aligned.
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

gibberish (OP)

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:16 pm »
well that explains it and i can see exactly what you mean.
to be fair, it doesnt look too bad in game but the menu looks terrible.

also, it's obviously another 240x320 screen because the vertical viewing angles are pretty bad compared to the horizontal ones.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic