Author Topic: Gemei A330 Screen  (Read 5909 times)

Gausen

Gemei A330 Screen
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:28:17 pm »
I finally received my order of two units. One was for me and the other one was for a gift. One of the boxes was OK an the other one was actually squashed.

So i take the one that was OK and prepared the A330 for her new owner (firmware update and games). I could see what was making people complain about the quality of the screen, its not very good (though is OK). One week later i had some spare time and i use it on preparing the squashed box A330 for me. Then i see that the screen was different, actually very good. Nothing near the regular quality the first console had.

Besides the obvious differences in screen quality there was something else, the good looking one doesn't go off when charging (either USB or power supply charging has the same effect).

So in my very limited experience, if your screen doesn't go off when charging you might be the owner of a Gemei A330 with a good screen. Otherwise you probably have a console with a regular screen.

PS: I have never see a dingoo A320 screen, so i cannot make any comparisons.

Minexew

Re: Gemei A330 Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:53 pm »
My unit doesn't go off when charging, but I wouldn't say that my screen is particularly good. OK for videos, but blurry for text and emulators.

nardich

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »
My unit screen also does not go off when charging, and I have the regular blurry screen, not as sharp as the dingoo A320 for that it is not the same technology.

That would be again some weird news, if two different models were out...

Kryptofacist

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:11:22 pm »
My screen turns off when power supply charging if I push a button and bring up the menu. It won't for USB mode.
I think my screen looks pretty good, except it makes blues look a little odd. It oversaturates it or something. The colours aren't quite as vibrant as my PC screen, but I can only tell if I hold one next to the other when they display the same picture.

My unit doesn't go off when charging, but I wouldn't say that my screen is particularly good. OK for videos, but blurry for text and emulators.

That's because of how the pixels are arranged. They are set up in a kind of "diamond" pattern which is designed for video playback. I don't mind it for most games, as it kind of makes it look like it's being played on an old TV and it helps to mask the scaling. But I can understand why people would prefer the "grid" arrangement. (If someone knows the technical terms for these screen types, please tell me).

How are the pixels arranged on this "good" screen?

[edit]
Here's something I found on Booboo's blog
The LCD is a "delta matrix" type. Don't know much about the technology (I'll appreciate links), but it basically means that the color dots are not aligned in an orthogonal matrix but spread in a zig-zag pattern. This is supposed to be better for displaying pictures and video, but I think it's not good for games.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:21:46 pm by Kryptofacist »
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

Gausen

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:18:53 pm »

I really have no clue on how to check this ?its just a matter of looking close to the screen?

Kryptofacist

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:37:59 pm »

I really have no clue on how to check this ?its just a matter of looking close to the screen?

Pretty much. The easiest way is to look at the text or any sort of 1 pixel-wide lines. If it's Delta Matrix, the vertical lines will look a little blurry and the horizontal lines will be sharp.
Also, the left and right edges of the screen will look "jagged".
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

Gausen

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:09:37 pm »
Pretty much. The easiest way is to look at the text or any sort of 1 pixel-wide lines. If it's Delta Matrix, the vertical lines will look a little blurry and the horizontal lines will be sharp.
Also, the left and right edges of the screen will look "jagged".

Its Delta. I have taken a picture of the screen (I have attached the test image also). Well its clear that its the same screen technology, yet the difference is noticeable when you look at both consoles. Could be a color thing?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:19:57 pm by Gausen »

Kryptofacist

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »
Thanks for the test.

I would be interested to see the difference between the two console screens sometime if you are able to get a photo of both.
- Abraham Lincoln

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:10:49 pm »
Here's a shot of the same image on my A320:

Gausen

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »
Here's a shot of the same image on my A320:

Very nice and crisp! Truly is a better display.

@Kryptofacist.  As soon as i can i will post some pictures of both A330?s.

heilong79

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:00 am »
Dont forget in the early days there where 2 different covers going around, each had a slightly diffrent logo on the front. One was very stylized and italic and the other looked like straight bog standard font.

Kryptofacist

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 06:56:09 am »
Dont forget in the early days there where 2 different covers going around, each had a slightly diffrent logo on the front. One was very stylized and italic and the other looked like straight bog standard font.

Does that mean there's only one font now?
Mine is the "bog standard" one.
Is there any difference in serial number between them? Mine is 4G 030WHO470330
- Abraham Lincoln

Post a new topic