• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gemei A330 MAME4ALL on its way!  (Read 39378 times)

trasric

Re: Gemei A330 MAME4ALL on its way!
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »
Slaanesh i have a question. As Melquiades also noticed, in .dat file there is some ''Cave'' games like DonPachi and DoDonPachi. But these game cant be found in any of the emulator game categories. You have any clue about that?

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »
That's because that dat file is generated by the Pandora version of Mame4all. I'll add cave in and see how it runs. Should be fine.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:47:47 am by slaanesh »

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2017, 01:22:28 am »
Okay I've added DonPachi to the "Neogeo" module as it has the largest amount of spare ram.

I've tested:
DonPachi, Hotdog Storm and Mazinger which all work very nicely.
DonPachi is a lot of fun - one of my favorite shooters from the early 90s. Up there with Raiden and Twin Cobra.

Air Gallet and Dangun Feveron should also work. May also be too big.

The others: DoDonPachi, Uo Poko and Guwange are just too big.

Are there any other issues?
Missing games?
Games not yet implemented from more advanced versions of MAME?
Bear in mind that about 10-12MB of EXPANDED ROM size is the maximum we can handle.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:56:46 am by slaanesh »

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2017, 02:25:30 am »
Just having a look at how the cave.c vidhrdw driver works. Typically, not very efficient in terms of memory usage.
It's possible to halve some elements of the sprite graphics storage so I'm looking into doing this and hopefully get some more cave.c games to work.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:53:28 am by slaanesh »

trasric

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2017, 03:39:35 am »
Thank you very much slaanesh. DonPachi and Raiden are some of my favorite games too.
I'm checking all games and i let you know if i find something to mention.
So far i found that i cant insert coins in ''Indiana Jones temple of doom''.
Also its possible to add ''Chase HQ'' from Taito? I like so much this game!

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2017, 04:42:19 am »
Ah good old Indy!
I did some fixes for this for the Dingoo A320 version - something to do with previous PC for the M68000.

I'll have a look.

Melquiades

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2017, 06:42:45 am »
Ah good old Indy!
I did some fixes for this for the Dingoo A320 version - something to do with previous PC for the M68000.

I'll have a look.

Thanks for all this work Slaanesh, looking forward to "Beta 4"...

Anyway, since you ask I can see there are some other games in the list that do not show up when running any of the cc/c3s files:
- MK2
- EspRade, Gunbird
- Joe & Mac :cave man ninja
- Shadow Dancer / Shinobi
- Vigilante

Other games I think should be possible to run although they may be on the limit are Guardians (Denjin Makai II) -what a  masterpiece by the way-, Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, Methamorphic Force, Ninja Baseball Bat Man, Gaia Crusaders,  Night Slashers, Mutant Fighter, Secret Agent. All of them are below the 12 mb limit and I believe they have been in MAME since times immemorial so maybe it can be done.

What I think it won't be possible at all is to add any IGS/PGM games, a shame, as some are really good (demon's front, Knights of valour,...).

But anyway, and again, thanks a lot. I was playing yesterday Gradius II, something I sorely missed since I sold my Saturn last year, and it blew my mind off how well it runs.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2017, 06:58:19 am »
Ah good old Indy!

I'll have a look.

Thanks for all this work Slaanesh, looking forward to "Beta 4"...

Anyway, since you ask I can see there are some other games in the list that do not show up when running any of the cc/c3s files:
- MK2
- EspRade, Gunbird
- Joe & Mac :cave man ninja
- Shadow Dancer / Shinobi
- Vigilante

Other games I think should be possible to run although they may be on the limit are Guardians (Denjin Makai II) -what a  masterpiece by the way-, Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, Methamorphic Force, Ninja Baseball Bat Man, Gaia Crusaders,  Night Slashers, Mutant Fighter, Secret Agent. All of them are below the 12 mb limit and I believe they have been in MAME since times immemorial so maybe it can be done.

What I think it won't be possible at all is to add any IGS/PGM games, a shame, as some are really good (demon's front, Knights of valour,...).

But anyway, and again, thanks a lot. I was playing yesterday Gradius II, something I sorely missed since I sold my Saturn last year, and it blew my mind off how well it runs.

Unfortunately the games you mention are all fairly big. The size limit is the expanded size after it's been uncompressed.

For example guardians (grdians.zip) is about 14MB but uncompressed the files inside are 36MB. Too big for our little Gemei A330. I know what you are thinking - but it's got 64MB! But it doesn't really and the memory it does have is not contiguous. Ie. about 20MB block is the largest single block.

Other games you mention: MK2, EspRade, Gunbird, etc are too big.
All these games would work on a GCW-Zero or Pandora though and run very nicely.

"Ninja Baseball Bat Man" should actually be included in DeasIrem module but it's dead slow running.
Tried some improvements to it but it's just too much.
"Secret Agent" exists - look at "Sly Spy" in DeasIrem.
"Joe and Mac" is Caveman Ninja in DeasIrem.
"Vigilante" should  also be in DeasIrem.
"Shadow Dancer" in VectSega.

Any others you are interested in? Best bet are games up until the early 90s.
I've tried getting Enduro Racer going but it's such a pain!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:03:44 am by slaanesh »

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2017, 03:46:26 am »
Cave games status on Gemei A330.
The basic problem still is lack of RAM despite halving some of the RAM requirements for the sprite graphics.

Working:
DonPachi, Hotdog Storm, Mazinger, Dangun Feveron

Almost working:
DoDonPachi, Air Gallet

Not going to work:
EspRade, Guwange, Uo Poko

dcervi

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2017, 12:35:13 am »
Cave games status on Gemei A330.
The basic problem still is lack of RAM despite halving some of the RAM requirements for the sprite graphics.

Working:
DonPachi, Hotdog Storm, Mazinger, Dangun Feveron

Almost working:
DoDonPachi, Air Gallet

Not going to work:
EspRade, Guwange, Uo Poko
@slaanesh Did you get any progress worth mentioning on Mame4All? Long time passed since latest news.

Enviat des del meu SM-G950F usant Tapatalk

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2017, 07:27:42 am »
Yes I've made a few other changes, added some more drivers and more fixes to various others.

I haven't done anything Gemei A330 specific for some time though.

I had a quick look at getting Temper going so that's also on the cards.

I want to get the Pandora and GCW-Zero versions out now, so just creating the associated PND and OPK files for that.
Those guys have been waiting a long time.

eltehero

« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:49 am »
Thanks Slaanesh, I have finally managed to find another Gemei A330 so will be using mame at some point

I want to get the Pandora and GCW-Zero versions out now, so just creating the associated PND and OPK files for that.

That's good to hear.

Can you give a quick update on the progress of Mame and possible release dates for other handhelds as well like GP2X, Wiz and Dingoo A320.

Do you have any plans for Mame development on the upcoming dragonbox pyra?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:46:19 am by van denhawk »

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2017, 11:02:59 am »
I want to get Pandora and GCW-Zero versions as quick as possible. As soon as they are done and the others shortly afterwards. Hopefully within the next 4 weeks maximum.

dcervi

« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2017, 11:45:29 pm »
Yes I've made a few other changes, added some more drivers and more fixes to various others.

I haven't done anything Gemei A330 specific for some time though.

I had a quick look at getting Temper going so that's also on the cards.

Great! I'm also a GCW Zero owner, but the Gemei A330 will always have a special place on my heart for it's size and good design.

Temper? Oh, yes!!!

Thank you very much @slaanesh !!!

Enviat des del meu SM-G950F usant Tapatalk

chevette

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2017, 01:54:22 pm »
Glad to see you're still on the scene slaanesh. I agree with dcervi that the Gemei A330 is a great handheld. Looking forward to Mame4All update, and Temper too. Thanks slaanesh

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2017, 10:49:19 am »
Glad to see you're still on the scene slaanesh. I agree with dcervi that the Gemei A330 is a great handheld. Looking forward to Mame4All update, and Temper too. Thanks slaanesh

Yeah it's a nice handheld I agree, though of the smaller form factor handhelds, my heart has always been with the Dingoo A320 :)

So I'm doing the packages for Pandora and GCW-Zero; the executables run from the package but obviously MAME needs a host of support files in the form of configs, snapshot files, hi-scores and of course ROMS.
So I'm creating a means of specifying just exactly where this stuff lives. So far so good! Shouldn't be much longer.

dingooforever

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2018, 11:00:09 am »
I want to get Pandora and GCW-Zero versions as quick as possible. As soon as they are done and the others shortly afterwards. Hopefully within the next 4 weeks maximum.

What happened to these? I hope they are not canceled.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2019, 03:57:04 am »
In case anyone is still following this, I will have an updated build for this soon.

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:24 am »
amazing! it's a shame this machine never took off, it's a lovely little device.

LauweLoempia

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:40 am »
Looking forward to it! I'm always pleasantly surprised when I with-draw this console for some gaming There is so much potential!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Post a new topic