• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gemei A330 MAME4ALL on its way!  (Read 35897 times)

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
Re: Gemei A330 MAME4ALL on its way!
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 03:56:36 am »
If you've tried Gemei A330 MAME4ALL then I'm sure you will know that exiting a game takes a while - about 20 seconds or so until you are back at the frontend.

It's annoying and I would like to resolve it.

Can anyone tell me if other A330 homebrew exhibits the same symptoms?

ie. the SNES or SMS emulators?

chevette

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:59 am »
slaanesh - I'm pretty sure I have all the available emulators running on my A330. Of course the stock ones, and the GameBoy, Sega Master System / GameGear, and the SNES ones that came later, MAME4All is the only one that takes long to exit. Thanks for your releases.

trasric

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 02:39:59 pm »
I have a question guys if anyone knows. Most Neo Geo games like Metal Slug give me the message ''bad rom''. I tried many roms from different mame versions with no luck. The problem is cause of Mame itself or something else?

chevette

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure they don't run (NeoGeo) on mame4all. Use the native one which works fine.

trasric

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2017, 08:13:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure they don't run (NeoGeo) on mame4all. Use the native one which works fine.

I know i can use the native neo geo emu. Just asking for completion reasons because im trying to make a rom set for Gemei's Mame4All emu with all possible working games.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:33 pm »
Neo Geo games should work on Mame4all. Have you tried using the Mame4all.dat fi?E to construct the ROMs including the neogeo.zip? Also make sure that your ROMs are renamed to .mz

EDIT:

The error message you are getting isn't quite right - sorry.

Okay, I can see the problem with Metal Slug. It's just too big. There is one ROM chunk which is 16MB in size. You would think that the A330 having 64MB of RAM that this would not be a problem. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The RAM isn't contiguous, it's scattered over three chunks.

Also I think I may have figured out why it's taking the Gemei so long to exit. I originally thought it was the sound thread - but it appears to be right at the very end literally on "exit".

The Gemei seems to spend a fair amount of time looking at the filesystem which it changes. Mame4all is always updating config files so it could be that writing out anything is causing these slow downs. I will confirm this today.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:32:34 pm by slaanesh »

trasric

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2017, 10:16:47 pm »
Neo Geo games should work on Mame4all. Have you tried using the Mame4all.dat fi?E to construct the ROMs including the neogeo.zip? Also make sure that your ROMs are renamed to .mz

Some neo geo games work while others not. Yes all roms are based on Mame4all.dat file. I'll be very thankfull if u can include the neogeo.zip files that the each game needs because may some olders games use different neogeo.zip than other newest games. As we know files inside neogeo.zip get changes over time like the files of the games. Anyway i tried some older neogeo.zip roms but as i said i have no luck with some neo geo games. Not all neo geo games but most of them.

Edit: Sry i didnt see your previous edit. Now i can understand the problem.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:30:24 pm by trasric »

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2017, 01:02:29 am »

Also I think I may have figured out why it's taking the Gemei so long to exit. I originally thought it was the sound thread - but it appears to be right at the very end literally on "exit".

The Gemei seems to spend a fair amount of time looking at the filesystem which it changes. Mame4all is always updating config files so it could be that writing out anything is causing these slow downs. I will confirm this today.

Yep I can confirm that this is the issue. When writing nothing to the filesystem, MAME4ALL exits very quickly.

I will add an option to the frontend menu - if selected MAME4ALL will not write out anything to the filesystem.

So what does MAME4ALL usually write out?

config, hi scores, screen snap shots, memcard saves, etc.

Mind you you probably want MAME4ALL to write out config files the first time you run any game; set up the options and controls, etc otherwise it will keep using defaults.

The frontend also writes out frontend config (including the last game played).
If these don't change then it doesn't write anything.
However I will make it that frontend option also applies to these config files.

dcervi

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2017, 05:53:28 pm »
Slaanesh, isn't it possible to return to Mame4all menu when exiting a game?

And have a look if it's possible to close the sound thread before anything else when you press the key combination for exiting a game. It's annoying to keep hearing the last played note until it finally exits. (I didn't had time to try the latest beta. Maybe it has already been solved)

Enviat des del meu D5803 usant Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:55:04 pm by dcervi »

trasric

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:38 pm »
Guys i made a complete rom set with all working games for the recent version of the awesome Mame4All emu for Gemei by Slaanesh. Of course for obvious reasons i cant post a link here. So if anyone has interest for the set just pm me.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2017, 10:12:04 pm »
Slaanesh, isn't it possible to return to Mame4all menu when exiting a game?

And have a look if it's possible to close the sound thread before anything else when you press the key combination for exiting a game. It's annoying to keep hearing the last played note until it finally exits. (I didn't had time to try the latest beta. Maybe it has already been solved)

Yes this is solved now :)

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2017, 07:09:24 am »
Back on the Gemei for a bit I've cleaned up a whole suite of minor/major things.

Finally have the audio sounding very nicely IMHO. Still has some inherent laggy behaviour though despite trying another API - but with the same results.

In the sound setup code there was a small rounding problem which would mean there was a 1 sample discrepancy between what was generated and what was played. Doesn't sound (pun intended) like much - but I found that you could actually hear it.

I found it when I  was working on updating the older williams games - most of the common ones were fine (Defender, Robotron) but Blaster and Joust 2 were really slow.

So I sorted these out by updating the video driver to a later version and both play quite well now - Blaster especially nicely. I think it's the first time I've played Blaster on a handheld and had quite a bit of fun with it. But I noticed a really annoying regular ticking sound in Joust 2 when ever it was quiet in game. This wasn't happening for other builds like the GP2X or Dingoo A320.

Anyway it's been fixed and have found that a few other games have benefited too.

dcervi

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2017, 10:45:47 pm »
Thanks for the news Slaanesh. You're doing a great job!

chevette

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:50 pm »
Thanks slaanesh.....eagerly waiting for the next release

Igor Raz

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:55 pm »
Every time I switched off the console I had troubles in running MAME4ALL - NO Roms found. All files had .mz extension )

I had to switch it over and over again, Update Jukebox, reconnect to PC to get Mame back to work.

Finally I found out that changing CC extention to c3s will do the trick.

Now I run all Mame from GBA and 3D games menu.

Hope it'll help someone.

trasric

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:59 pm »

Finally I found out that changing CC extention to c3s will do the trick.

Yea it depends on what Firmware u have. Some Firmware versions supports .cc extensions while some others .c3s extensions.

Also Igor check ur messages.

Melquiades

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 06:54:12 am »
Looking forward to trying this as soon as possible.

What are your plans after this? Please be Temper... although  a modification of the Genesis emulator to allow for double buffer to increase framerrate, just like they did with the Dingoo A330 would be almost as good.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2017, 07:17:43 am »
Temper would be awesome and possibly fairly easy  :)

Melquiades

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2017, 01:51:44 pm »
Wow. I have just tried some roms and I am  blown away. Good work people! Thank you very much!

Neo Geo roms with heavy scaling are not slowed down at all, and games like ghosts and goblins run at good framerrate. I will try tonight heavyweights like dodonpachi and such and revert. Right now I just can say that this is fairly impressive. Who could have guess the gemei would have a comeback like this! 

Now, after seeing what you can done, surprise us with Temper. Even the Dingoo A320/A330 run it very well so it should not be a problem. Thinking about having the PCE castlevania in my hands again make me tremble.

chevette

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2017, 04:24:43 pm »
Has the newest Mame4All been released? I think I'm using Beta 3......I would love to see an Atari 2600 release for the Gemei A330. Thanks slaanesh for your great releases.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic