• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gemei A330 coming soon to Chinavasion  (Read 134961 times)

RoseLi-Chinavasion

Gemei A330 coming soon to Chinavasion
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:36:53 am »
The new Gemei A330 is coming soon to Chinavasion, so keep your eyes peeled!

It will have an updated interface and a much sturdier and cooler-looking design. More details to follow...

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: Gemei A330 coming soon to Chinavasion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:36:04 am »
Very cool indeed, I've been waiting for this. Any news on expected price/features?

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:03:31 am »
cpu? clockspeed? ram? software?
what can it do that the dingoo can't already do?

and how come this is gemei branded? dingoo said they would be branding it... they also said it wouldnt be released before their updated version of the a320 was released.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:36:27 am by gibberish »

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:00:47 pm »
i think it's the other way around, chinachip makes the boards and sells em to companies (like dingoo, gemei, whatever) who rebrand them, make their own housings and possible software / firmware modifications.... Besides gemei existed way before dingoo ever came up

darfgarf

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:06:16 pm »
i seem to remember gamei said they wouldn't be releasing the a330, as designs incredibly similar to this reared their ugly heads about a year ago

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »
Internet game?  ??? The 4th symbol in the firmware shot looks like Bluetooth or Wifi, i?d appreciate that, hopefully they put 2-player function into the emulators. It?s the radio...  :'(
Also: Specs!!!111!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:09:57 pm by eule »

kswildside

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:18:14 pm »
Well grape vine mind you and can't and won't reveal my source on the information...

1. It won't play A320 Games

2. Buggy and has issues lock ups etc. Last date I got for it was late September to Mid October....

I'm not knocking it at all most stuff from Gemei is great and I hope this is a huge leap forward at a good price point if it runs good I will surely sell it and support it here in America.

All I was stating is a person I know who has actually held it and tested it said it was buggy and locked up but as Gibberish states below it is probably still Beta.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:31:08 pm by dingoo-digital-usa »

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »
neither of those points are that bad really ddu.

if it's not out for another month then the software will still be in beta stages, which explains the lock ups. probably be much better on release day. as for it not being compatible with the a320, that's definitely a good thing if it means it's using an ARM cpu this time, instead of the updated ingenics jz*.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:40:18 pm »
won't reveal my source on the information...

Um, a sales rep from Dingoo Tech, the people who released the other, not so well received A330, the competition, bitter rivals etc. :P If you can't reveal a source, it most likely isn't true.

1. It won't play A320 Games

2. Buggy and has issues lock ups etc. Last date I got for it was late September to Mid October....

Meh, it can't be any worse than the 'other' A330. What does that do, aside from a wireless controller? Re point 1, what A320 games are you referring to? The 3D ones? If so, who cares. If not, well, this is an A330 so it will play A330 games & software. At least this mob have the ability to write software and obviously have access to the source files for the firmware.

tintami

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »
At least this mob have the ability to write software and obviously have access to the source files for the firmware.

If that's the case then I hope it is 100% compatible with the A320 and any firmware improvements it brings with it will work on the A320 too.  pipe dream I know...

john

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:54:23 pm »
ddu has vested interests, there isn't much point listening to his opinions on the dingoo saga. he tries to skew everything in his own favour, which is a shame cos he seemed like a nice guy before this crap kicked off.

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 02:58:00 pm »
At least this mob have the ability to write software and obviously have access to the source files for the firmware.

If that's the case then I hope it is 100% compatible with the A320 and any firmware improvements it brings with it will work on the A320 too.  pipe dream I know...

john

if the a330 runs an ARM cpu then compatibility is completely impossible. We don't really want compatibility because that means another MIPS handheld.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:05:43 pm by gibberish »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »
ddu has vested interests, there isn't much point listening to his opinions on the dingoo saga. he tries to skew everything in his own favour, which is a shame cos he seemed like a nice guy before this crap kicked off.

I know what you mean.

I often wonder how many people see it, there's a bigger picture here it seems to go unnoticed. Karma to me if you agree.

darfgarf

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 03:25:57 pm »
if the a330 runs an ARM cpu then compatibility is completely impossible. We don't really want compatibility because that means another MIPS handheld.

there's nothing wrong with mips, just as there's nothing wrong with arm, just different that's all (though if you actually look at how they work they're shockingly similar)

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:35:01 pm »
I'm sure you're right, (i wouldn't profess to know!) but isn't it true that there is a lot more ARM software around that can be ported more easily if it's destination architecture is also ARM?

darfgarf

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »
I'm sure you're right, (i wouldn't profess to know!) but isn't it true that there is a lot more ARM software around that can be ported more easily if it's destination architecture is also ARM?

the only thing processor specific is really big blocks of assembly, like in most emulators, so this is sort of true, but then it all depends what version of arm it is, whether it supports the extended instructions etc, now if it was near enough the same architecture as the wiz or something, then yes lots of things, but only a few things have silly blocks of assembly anyway, the amount of ram/raw processing power is more of a concern (at least where the dingoo is involved)

ricsi

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »
What CPU, how much RAM?

What emulators does it support?
State of the OS? (functionality, compared to A320)

Support for wireless controller, TV Out??
What additional HW and SW that A320 has does the gemei A330 NOT have?

TARGET PRICE????

Either the price has to be considerably lower than A320, or it has to have many killer features to cancel out the missing linux support. (or at least the time it will take until a linux port is developed)

Without details this topic is only a waste of space and time.

tintami

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »

Well there's two ways of looking at it....

1) If you're looking to buy another handheld then yeh an ARM CPU would probably be a good thing.
2) If you're not then compatibility with the A320 may mean improvements to the A320 firmware which would be a good thing.

john
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:52:58 pm by tintami »

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »
Karma to me if you agree.
Pfft, really? Caring about your little numbers, hm?  ::)

Gemei A330:
As everyone else said, SHOW THE SPECS.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 06:17:57 pm »
Don't care about numbers at all actually, curious to see what other people think.

Post a new topic