• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gemei A330 - Black screen with distorted purple lines  (Read 3752 times)

rpgbeater (OP)

Gemei A330 - Black screen with distorted purple lines
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:03 am »
Hello,

Recently i purchased a Gemei A330 from a guy that found it in his basement and wasnt sure if it was going to turn on.
I thought it was worth a try as it looked to be in good shape, so i bought it for dirt cheap and came home to charge it.

When i turned it on however, there was a black screen with red letters, something about "unauthorized" and "chinachips. soemthing"

so i turned it off and tried searching about it online. However, when i tried to turn it back on again, the letters were gone and instead, green distorted lines show up for a second and then turn purple (with a black background).

Does anyone know if this is a problem that can be solved? Is it bricked and can i unbrick it? Or is this more of a internal hardware issue?

Should i start being sad about this purchase?

Thank you all in advance.
Handhelds: GBC, GBA SP, DS, DSi, O3DS, N3DS Xl, PSP 3000, PSP Go, Dingoo A320, Dingoo A330, Gemei A330.

Consoles: Wii, PS3, 360.

Igor Raz

Re: Gemei A330 - Black screen with distorted purple lines
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
Hi,

never heard of such problem. Unbricker + gew instructions are here

https://filetrip.net/others-downloads/other-systems/download-gemei-tech-a330-unbricker-1-0-f24630.html

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »
It could also be a failed firmware upgrade - perhaps try installing the latest firmware on it?

rpgbeater (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:59:19 am »
Hi,

never heard of such problem. Unbricker + gew instructions are here

https://filetrip.net/others-downloads/other-systems/download-gemei-tech-a330-unbricker-1-0-f24630.html

Hey, thanks for the response, i did see a few other tutorials concerning the unbricker, they said it only works on windows xp though, is that still the case? Im on a windows 7.... if that IS the case, do you think running Windows XP on a virtual machine could work?

It could also be a failed firmware upgrade - perhaps try installing the latest firmware on it?

Yeah, since i got it already with this issue, i am not so certain myself, i asked the previous owner, but he also told me he had no idea what had happened. Can i install the latest firmware through SD card? cuz like i said, its not booting, it just stays in a black screen with purple lines in the bottom half of the screen.
Handhelds: GBC, GBA SP, DS, DSi, O3DS, N3DS Xl, PSP 3000, PSP Go, Dingoo A320, Dingoo A330, Gemei A330.

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:27 am »
Check the thread about upgrading firmware and make sure you use the right firmware if you give it a try.

Yeah, you use an SD card to do, so your A330 booted at least once so I'm assuming it may be possible to flash it.

Perhaps the previous owner used the wrong firmware which is why you got the odd message? Just thinking out loud.

I don't know if you still require Windows XP but when I flashed mine I had a machine which still had Win XP on it though my main Windows machine was Win 7. I can't remember which one I used though.

If you get really stuck you could send it to me and I could possibly try to revive it but then if you paid very little for it, it's probably not worth the round-trip postage.

Where in the world (literally) are you? :) I'm in Australia.

rpgbeater (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 03:33:31 am »
ok, so i followed the instructions on https://filetrip.net/others-downloads/other-systems/download-gemei-tech-a330-unbricker-1-0-f24630.html
and i got the same screen that Sehiz got in this thread: https://boards.dingoonity.org/gemei-a330/gemei-a330-unbrick-problem/msg34253/#msg34253

that shows all the squiggly lines... on that thread they said its because Sehiz is using Windows 7 instead of Windows XP.... im guessing thats probably the same case.... cuz when i try to boot my Gemei A330 pressing the down button... nothing happens (not even the purple lines).

Im guessing, upgrading the firmware on this will have the same effects, cuz i will need to prepare the SD card first right?

rpgbeater (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:14:57 am »
Check the thread about upgrading firmware and make sure you use the right firmware if you give it a try.

Yeah, you use an SD card to do, so your A330 booted at least once so I'm assuming it may be possible to flash it.

Perhaps the previous owner used the wrong firmware which is why you got the odd message? Just thinking out loud.

I don't know if you still require Windows XP but when I flashed mine I had a machine which still had Win XP on it though my main Windows machine was Win 7. I can't remember which one I used though.

If you get really stuck you could send it to me and I could possibly try to revive it but then if you paid very little for it, it's probably not worth the round-trip postage.

Where in the world (literally) are you? :) I'm in Australia.

I`m in Brazil actually :)

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 05:07:15 am »
Looks like there are two things:

1). Use an WinXP machine. Looks like this is a must.
I have an old laptop I bought from a second hand shop especially to run old WinXP software. It cost me $20 and is so far been worth every cent.

2). Prepare your SD card with the right firmware. I think the easiest way to determine what firmware you need was by switching it on check the firmware's version string. But you can't do that.
So perhaps there are some clues on the case itself, I think there is a serial number and other manufacturing numbers on in. I have both A330's the "Fashion, non-RF version" and the regular "full version".

Igor Raz

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:20:17 pm »
try

1. On XP machine. You can create a loadable USB stick.

2. the firmware image provided with the unbricker must be renamed to A330E.HXF

rpgbeater (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »
Ok.... so i got Windows XP SP3 running on Virtual Machine. went through all the steps again, but the screen i get on the cmd after running that command line is still the one with the exclamation marks like Sehiz show on his post....

so, despite that, i tried putting the sd card back into my Gemei A330, and tried booting.... but when i press down and turn it on, it doesnt even boot at all..... when i turn it on normally, the purple lines still taunt me.

I dont know what im doing wrong.

Igor Raz

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:00:28 am »
virtual XP does not always have direct access to USB controller.

Try on 'real' Windows XP 32

upd

on Russian forum I saw following advice:

try write in bat file chinachipsdburntools.exe rom.bin drive_name i.e. replace your SD letter with rom.bin (as a result, instead of ?drive_name:? you should have your SD card letter, not!!!!! Gemei internal memory.).

If you are in Linux, use this command

?dd if=rom.bin of=/dev/sdi bs=512 seek=2? (sd# - where # is your SD letter)

You should get the following picture:

Sorry if it sounds too tricky, I did my best to translate it to you, though I understand little.

Maybe Slaanesh can explain it, he has more tech skills.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:42:35 am by Igor Raz »

Igor Raz

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 01:00:37 am »
Basically, 2 main steps to try:

1. Windows XP 32 only. Forget about virtual machine.
2. In the run.bat file manually change F: to the letter assigned to your SD card run.bat

Post a new topic