• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gemei A330 as a Media Player  (Read 9722 times)

Godfather (OP)

• Upstream OS
Gemei A330 as a Media Player
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:02 pm »
Hey guys. My Dingoo A320 is still working great (I've had it since 2010). I've mainly used it for videos, and music. With some games on the side.

However, I have been looking for a new media player. Shockingly, even with all the android crap being pushed out by tech companies, there is still nothing like the Dingoo, Gemei, and other devices like them. All I want is a device where I can plug it in, throw videos on it, and it plays. Dingoo plays mostly every video file I put on it, except for HD videos.

I noticed that the Gemei A330 is popular on DX, and is also pretty cheap. I know it can playback HD videos, but of course in a lower resolution. My question is, how is it as a media player? Does it beat the Dingoo in video playback, and can it play mostly every video file (like the Dingoo)?

I'd mainly like to play HD videos.

Or is there a better option out there?

Thanks.  :)

gamefreak_joey

Re: Gemei A330 as a Media Player
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »
I have it, but I wouldn't recommend it. On the techical spec side of things, it looks decent on DX. But once you get it, you need to update things and tbh I found it to be a huge run-around. The companies that produced them were involved in legal battles at the time so, in turn, the consumer suffered for it. There's a general lack of help everywhere, and it's why the price on DX is so low. I said to myself, "naaaah. I have enough technical know-how to make the most out of it", but once i received my unit, i was very disappointed. But i had no-one to blame but myself! I don't mean to put the device down. but the lack of support and the type of system it runs on renders it unusable most of the time. I would look into other options.

I'm personally waiting on the GCW Zero, despite all the current setbacks. I still have faith in what I've seen.
Regarding video playback, It hasn't been the primary focus so far. I think maybe in the near future, they'll show off more of it.

Godfather (OP)

• Upstream OS
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:48:50 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear from someone who actually owns it.

I've also been looking into the GCW Zero, and it does indeed look like a good alternative at some point.

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »
I also own a Gemei A330 and it is lacking compared to the A320, but not a total loss as it does seem to be optimized for playing the arcade level games.
For example, it plays NeoGeo, CPS1 and 2 gemes exceptionally well.
I'm not very tech savvy but it is noticeably smoother than the A320 on that aspect.
Also, playing most games off the card is more efficient due it it enabling you to use your personally created folders as the internal menu just jumbles them all together in alphabetical order.
Same thing with the music files...

Also, the music (at least MP3) player is close enough on par to the A320 that i use mine as a music player as well.

I also like that it doesn't have or need a "reset" button. If it locks up on you, you just use the ON/OFF switch, simple and convenient.

I haven't done any firmware or any other updates to it due to lots of horror stories i heard earlier on, so i've been content on what it can do as it is now, wich is STILL more than most mainstream, out of box videogame/multimedia devices these days...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:46:10 pm by Turkish »

hiredgun

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:12:21 pm »
I have to agree with Turk, the neo geo and CPS1 and 2 games run exceptionally well!! The super nintendo and master system emulators by CEX really round out the consoles worth!!

quasist

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »

GA330 works awesome with videogoggles.
Watched 100+ anime episodes

zhongtiao1

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 04:49:00 pm »
Its too bad you can't find the gemei a330 easily anymore :( the Revco K101 team is taking all of them for themselves and repurposing them as GBA clones

quasist

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 06:00:58 pm »
Even my ga330 is labeled "dingo a330"...

As I remember gemei by same time as a330 had a 3'' or little bigger tablet-like player (touch and not-touch) media players

Melquiades

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:18:30 am »
Wow, I did not know they are using GEMEIs for this... but these handhelds were supposed to use a propietary SOC, are they dismantling GEMEIs just for the case and the screen?

If that is the case they should be publicly whipped, the G 330 is a great console, sturdy and reliable as hell. It has its shortcomings with SNES and MD, but it is still one of the best ways to emulate CPS2 and Neo Geo. Shame on them. Got mine for $30 and would jump inmediately for another "spare" one.

Juan

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 03:18:28 pm »
The case looks very similar but not quite the same. BTW it seems like a neat device.

Post a new topic