Author Topic: Frameskip...  (Read 3656 times)

HammerHeart (OP)

Frameskip...
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »
When I use frameskip with GBA and SNES emus, i don't notice any visible difference in gameplay or sound quality  ???

Perhaps I'm just used to other Emu's that use frameskip to speed up gameplay...

Can anyone break this down for me so that I know what the hell I'm doing?  :-[

Danke!

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Re: Frameskip...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »
Frameskip in the native SNES emulator has never worked properly. I use PocketSnes for native, it's a much better emulator.

Kryptofacist

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:49:40 pm »
Frameskip in the native SNES emulator has never worked properly. I use PocketSnes for native, it's a much better emulator.

Either you didn't realise you were in the GA330 section, or I missed some MAJOR news.  ;)
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »
Either you didn't realise you were in the GA330 section, or I missed some MAJOR news.  ;)

My bad. :)

Kryptofacist

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »
OK, I just tested the frameskip for GBA and SNES.

I tested the GBA with Golden Sun and found that it was exactly the same no matter which frameskip I chose.
For SNES, I tested with MegaMan X and Mario Kart. Frameskip worked perfectly for both. In the case of Mario Kart, using frameskip made it significantly faster.

What games were you using it on?
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

HammerHeart (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:40:40 am »
I started a collection of translated SNES/SFC roms (Japanese -> English) and most seem to run just fine.. with the exclusion of roms that "green screen of death" and of course, transparency heavy roms.

Was trying to get some speed boosts out of turn based RPG's to speed up combat and exploration (like using tilde key in Zsnes) ;D

It seems that when i boost frameskip it just makes things jerky... as if game is running at regular speed but i am only seeing a few frames per second... i guess that is what frameskip means but I was hoping for a similar effect to the one i mention above

Is that normal?

Thanks for addressing this issue  ;)

Kryptofacist

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:07:52 am »
I started a collection of translated SNES/SFC roms (Japanese -> English) and most seem to run just fine.. with the exclusion of roms that "green screen of death" and of course, transparency heavy roms.

Was trying to get some speed boosts out of turn based RPG's to speed up combat and exploration (like using tilde key in Zsnes) ;D

It seems that when i boost frameskip it just makes things jerky... as if game is running at regular speed but i am only seeing a few frames per second... i guess that is what frameskip means but I was hoping for a similar effect to the one i mention above

Is that normal?

Thanks for addressing this issue  ;)

Frameskip isn't meant to make the game run faster than normal. It's function is to make games that lag run at a more playable speed by rendering fewer frames. The higher you set it, the jerkier it looks because the fps is lower.
There isn't a way to give your game a speed boost yet. But now that you mention it, I am putting it on my wishlist.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:10:03 am by Kryptofacist »
- Abraham Lincoln

Post a new topic
Post a new topic