Author Topic: dead pixel  (Read 3577 times)

wilhood (OP)

dead pixel
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:01:34 pm »
Hi
Just got my gemei a330 and it as a dead pixel in the top left hand corner of the screen.
Just want to know if it is a sign the screen is on its way out, or just a little problem i can live with?.
Thanks

1wiierdguy

Re: dead pixel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:20:58 am »
 Stuck or dead pixels can be common in cheap Lcd's. It doesn't mean the screen is on the way out. If you can get used to it it will do no harm. I for one can't get used to them, they just annoy me too much and I can't ignore them.

blastyrant

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:11:14 am »
both of the gemei units have 1 dead pixel. i'm hoping for a homebrew that may "unlock" them by continually flashing them. either way, it doesn't really bug me.

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:22:04 am »
All Gemei's have that problem? o.O

Also, i got a dead pixel at my computer monitor (AOC 22" LCD) but i really cant see it without paying attention...

Kryptofacist

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »
All Gemei's have that problem? o.O

Also, i got a dead pixel at my computer monitor (AOC 22" LCD) but i really cant see it without paying attention...
I don't think all of them have dead/stuck pixels. But mine has one. It isn't very noticeable unless the screen is all black, so it doesn't bother me that much usually.

It's easier to miss a single dead pixel on a 22" screen than a 2.5" screen, though.

The screen really does seem to be the weak link of the GA330.
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:41:12 pm »
i've grown to like the screen. sure it looks rough in the menus, but in emulators (gba especially due to the weird scaling it needs to fit 320x240) it is a vast improvement over screens with aligned pixels.

Kryptofacist

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:26 am »
i've grown to like the screen. sure it looks rough in the menus, but in emulators (gba especially due to the weird scaling it needs to fit 320x240) it is a vast improvement over screens with aligned pixels.

To be honest, I also like the pixel arrangement. But the apparent tendency for stuck pixels is pretty annoying. I tried the GBA stuck pixel fixer and any other techniques I could find, but mine is still there.

@Willhood
Is your pixel a dead pixel or a stuck pixel? A dead pixel will appear black, while a stuck pixel will appear white or a different colour. Dead pixels are much less likely to be fixable.
Here is the GBA program if you're interested.
http://www.pineight.com/gba/stuck_pixels.zip
I ran mine overnight with a shirt over it to make the screen warm up, but it didn't fix. Maybe you will have better luck.
Remeber to turn off the sound because it makes weird noises. I guess it's for similar reasons that going into sleep mode on a GBA game makes noise.
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

wilhood (OP)

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 12:03:02 am »
Hi
Yeah after checking , it is a stuck pixel and not a dead pixel .
Thanks for everybodys advice and help. ;
No joy with the stuck pixel fixer I'm afraid,but I am not too bothered about it now as it is easy to live with.
Thanks again.