• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: What version of gpSP is the opendingux/gcw version based upon?  (Read 3797 times)

133794m3r (OP)

I know that the gba emulator is based upon gpsp but I'm unable to find the exact version. I know on the PSP, I'd always use gpsp kai since it provides the best support for games whenever I'm playing them. If you could point me to the version that it's based upon/what version it is, I'd be extremely grateful.

dmitry_smagin

GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

133794m3r (OP)

Re: What version of gpSP is the opendingux/gcw version based upon?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:31 pm »
That really sucks... I was hoping it was based on a newer release by one of the other authors... because it has _ungodly_ issues with a lot of "complex" games. Is there any hope of goldensun, and other games that use mode7 _ever_ working with it? Or was that just the PSP having a processor that was kinda slow/weak?

Thanks for the information btw... I was hoping it'd be UI kai or something similar since they give better performance... oh well I guess it's something. Is the compatability updated? Or is it still stock 0.9?

Edit: one last thing, the software compiled for the zero is it using GCC to specifically target the cpu? Or is it generic mips?

I'm asking because if it's generic mips, I'm likely going to recompile once I get my zero since every bit of performance counts especially when working with emulators on a handheld.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:58:15 pm by 133794m3r »

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:48:26 pm »
Sources of newer versions aren't available, so all questions go to exophase.

gpsp's makefile has all mips32 specific compile flags, you won't gain much changing them.
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

133794m3r (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »
ah OK, I just realized that. but yeah I know the increases will be minimal but I generally do do -mtune/-march when it's not already set by the compiler. I know the pandora guys just do that automatically. Most of the time I get with the software i run ~3-5% performance increase on average.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »
For A320, we use -march=mips32 -mtune=mips32r2 since the jz4740 CPU is mips32r1.
For GCW0 we use -march=mips32r2.

Instructing GCC about the pipeline of the Xburst might lead to a performance increase though.

133794m3r (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:37:01 pm »
For A320, we use -march=mips32 -mtune=mips32r2 since the jz4740 CPU is mips32r1.
For GCW0 we use -march=mips32r2.

Instructing GCC about the pipeline of the Xburst might lead to a performance increase though.
I'm going to open up a ticket to see if you guys can do the "bilinear plus" filter from visual boy advanced it is cpp source code, and I don't know where they got it but looking over it it looks to be exactly identical to C. When I used the filter it looks better than the stock bilinear.

Next about the xburst coprocessor, I don't see anything in GCC about it at the time being. Anyway I can't wait to try it out, I'm going to try it on my pc and see if the thing is able to work with the larger dumps.

Edit: OK nevermind I can't compile it(my gcc version's aparently too ancient) oh well. I'll hopefully get the zero within a few days and will spin up a vm with the toolchain in it to see how things work.

Edit2: Also something that I'm probably going to open up an issue on github for is this "bilinear plus" filter from VBA. It makes the game look better(not sure exactly how) but there's less blurriness on the sprites(when I look at a screenshot). Although the project itself is CPP, the code for the filter looks to be _completely_ C, and whilst I don't know how complex it'd be to add another filter to the source code, since the code seems to already be in C, I am hoping it's not terribly complex. Since especially for GB/C games that extra filter will certainly make them look much smoother.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:09:50 am by 133794m3r »

Post a new topic