• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Two Player over Wifi?  (Read 3089 times)

Goggles2114 (OP)

Two Player over Wifi?
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:47 am »
St first I'd wondered if this could be done just on GBA because being able to advertise you can trade pokemon would probably be something of an attention getter. Then i got to thinking why not try seeing if you can just in general do mu.ti-player over wifi?

I'm pretty sure none of the current emulators can but it'd be nice if they could.

zear

Re: Two Player over Wifi?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:40 am »
It would work only on LAN, since in emulated games you can't use client-side prediction and any lags would quickly desynchronize the game.

Goggles2114 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:48 am »
I kinda meant mostly direct unit to unit rather than 'person connects to wifi and plays with person across world' even though the latter would be awesome.

zear

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:04 pm »
I have tested a snes9x branch with networking capabilities and while it worked over Wi-Fi between a GCW and PC in a local network, the latency was so high to render the game unplayable.

Goggles2114 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:10:24 pm »
Damn.  Anything on the Gameboy/GBA front? Yea actual gameplay isn't apparently workable but trading between games seems doable. I think.

zear

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:10:44 pm »
Link-cable emulation is an entirely different story than a netplay of a system that has a local 2 player mode on a single TV. In the latter case you need to keep two separate game instances synchronized so both games play exactly the same on two GCWs. A single de-sync and the game on each GCW starts to live it's own life. With Link-cable however, the games themselves are designed to understand that the other user is playing on a separate device and so you don't need any tricks to keep the games connected. The only thing left is to transfer the data sent by one unit to another just like they are sent via an actual link-cable. So it should be less problematic, assuming there are any emulators with link cable support that we could port.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:20:28 pm »
It would not be less problematic. The GB(C/A) link cable works with a synchronous serial protocol. That means that each device receives one byte of data at the same time they send one, and once that the byte is received, it is not known whether or not another byte will follow. As a result, buffering is impossible, and sending one byte worth of data will need two full TCP frame to be sent, one in each way. This is already extremely slow in LAN, forget it via wifi.

zear

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:25:03 pm »
It would not be less problematic. The GB(C/A) link cable works with a synchronous serial protocol. That means that each device receives one byte of data at the same time they send one, and once that the byte is received, it is not known whether or not another byte will follow. As a result, buffering is impossible, and sending one byte worth of data will need two full TCP frame to be sent, one in each way. This is already extremely slow in LAN, forget it via wifi.
Let's do it via usb networking, the oldfashioned link-cable way :)

Post a new topic