• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Texture filtering for ps1/n64 games, possible?  (Read 3849 times)

133794m3r (OP)

Texture filtering for ps1/n64 games, possible?
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:56:29 am »
I saw on the open pandora that they now have a 3d renderer for the emulator, which increases the LOD of the game and make it look better. i was recently playing through spyro 1-3, and I noticed that the enviromental textures are the _only_ big/huge thing that irks me. The texures on characters are perfect, but the enviorment are kinda blocky.

I don't know how feasible this is, but I'm pretty sure it should be possible, I just don't know how complex it'd be to do, since I've seen other emulators doing MSAA/other such things for textures that weren't part of the game originally(admittedly for ps2/gc/wii)

Edit: Yes I realize this is kinda a "first world problem" but I'd love it to be possible and I'd put some money behind getting that feature since it'd really make the games look perfect 24/7/365.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:31:44 am by 133794m3r »

hi-ban

Re: Texture filtering for ps1/n64 games, possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:14:52 am »
how is this related to the GCW Zero?
don't understand...

Skelton-retired

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:22 am »
There is no PSX emu or n64 for Zero, so don't understand....
Retired

Enclave

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:22 am »
There is no PSX emu or n64 for Zero, so don't understand....

As I recall there IS a PSX emulator being made, it's just not yet available to the public.

hi-ban

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:44:35 am »
The OP is asking about a suggestion for an emulator of the Pandora.
I don't intend to be rude, but this is not the Pandora section.

133794m3r (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:25:06 am »
The OP is asking about a suggestion for an emulator of the Pandora.
I don't intend to be rude, but this is not the Pandora section.
No, I was saying that I _saw_ the pandora doing something besides the stock commands with the ps1. That's what I was stating. I never once said "this is for the pandora." I was saying that I saw on the pandora _their_ ps1 emulator was able to _improve_ the scenes in the game. So I was wondering if that was possible on the zero too. I don't know how you got that from my post.

If I was wanting this for pandora why would I post here? I'd post there, I don't have a pandora and I'm not getting one until the price is reasonable, I have a gcw coming(some year).

flatmush

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »
All of this should be possible once we get the GPU working, given that the GCW0 has a more powerful CPU/GPU than the Pandora.

That said there's no timeframe for the completion of the GPU stuff, the reverse-engineering is fully documented and quite complete (see etnaviv) but a standalone implementation of OpenGL as we'd need hasn't been started yet as far as I can tell.

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 03:24:58 pm »
I saw on the open pandora that they now have a 3d renderer for the emulator, which increases the LOD of the game and make it look better. i was recently playing through spyro 1-3, and I noticed that the enviromental textures are the _only_ big/huge thing that irks me. The texures on characters are perfect, but the enviorment are kinda blocky.

I don't know how feasible this is, but I'm pretty sure it should be possible, I just don't know how complex it'd be to do, since I've seen other emulators doing MSAA/other such things for textures that weren't part of the game originally(admittedly for ps2/gc/wii)

Edit: Yes I realize this is kinda a "first world problem" but I'd love it to be possible and I'd put some money behind getting that feature since it'd really make the games look perfect 24/7/365.
That option looks like it's related to the emulator code, not to the OS or the hardware.  It's really pointless to discuss if a feature is possible on a non-existent emulator... it's like a thread from some months ago, when someone came up with an idea on how to use the Dingoo A320's buttons on an imaginary N64 emulator that will never be real.

I guess it's better to wait for PS1 and N64 emulators to be functional and have good compatibility/performance first.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic