• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Saves and Upgrading  (Read 3064 times)

Yrx (OP)

Saves and Upgrading
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:59 am »
Since I'm still not 100% how the OPK files work in the background, I was curious if save games will transfer over when you upgrade to the latest version of an emulator. Or is it dependent on the specific program?

RodrigoCard

• Mac Joystick Apps
Re: Saves and Upgrading
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:27:15 am »
The saves will be probably at some folder called ".appname" inside the "home" folder. That is what is usual for linux stuff.

hi-ban

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:03 am »
...so yes. Even if you deleted the OPK, the saves would still be there.

zear

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »
Exactly.
OPK is a read-only filesystem, so nothing can get saved to or modified inside.
All the program output, like save states, go directly to $HOME/.appname/, which is currently
Code: [Select]
/media/data/local/home/.appname/
When you remove an OPK file, nothing happens to the $HOME/.appname/, meaning that if you install the OPK again or upgrade to a newer version of it, all your save states will still be there.

This is important to know by the people who port their programs to GCW, as they need to take into account that the user might already have save files from an older, incompatible build, and this needs to be dealt with.

Yertle

• !
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:14:10 am »
I'm not sure where I should post this question so I chose this thread. I am using PocketSNES and when I load up a ROM it lets me save and shows that it was saved. When I exit PocketSNES and load up the same ROM, the save states aren't there at all. It's like it didn't save anything. Is that normal for PocketSNES? I looked around for an answer to this and didn't see one so I apologize if I missed it....

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:35:42 am »
The PocketSNES OPK is a very old build of mine that wasn't meant to be release quality (you can see that just by looking at the icon, lol). I have more recent sources on my other PC in France, I will release an updated version in ~1 month when I'm back home.

Yertle

• !
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:35 am »
The PocketSNES OPK is a very old build of mine that wasn't meant to be release quality (you can see that just by looking at the icon, lol). I have more recent sources on my other PC in France, I will release an updated version in ~1 month when I'm back home.

It works really well except for the save states. I'll watch for an updated version. Thank you for the information!