• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: psx, n64, dosbox, will they be there, and how?  (Read 12193 times)

Prospero (OP)

psx, n64, dosbox, will they be there, and how?
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:16:04 am »
Hi GCW-Zero Team & Community!

how is it, which psx emulator will the gcw zero have? and how is it with the n64 as well as with the dosbox?

which psx emulator you are working on, psx4all or pcsx rearmed?

I had the psx4all on the caanoo, you couldnet do much with it until notaz (edit:) released its psxrearmed version. then some psx games where quite playable on zero framskip with 15-30 frames (nearby all 2.5D games where playable so at 0 frameskip). the optimization of notaz made a huge difference. i think i have once reed that notaz has passed this optimizations to the pcsx4all programmers, but im not sure.

this would be very interesting, as i would say except the really new ones to the scene we do have emulated our old snes games for years now.

psx, n64, dosbox, these are really interesting.

i think you said you will show these emulators later, but still i would love to have some infos about them, at least about the psx emu.

thank you very much! : )
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:30:21 pm by Prospero »

Dexidus

psx, n64, dosbox, will they be there, and how?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:00:41 pm »
On your caanoo, are you using the reArmed version for psx? If not, you should be, most 3d games play pretty well (some better than others, obviously).

I, too am highly interested in psx and n64 on the gcw zero, but I must admit, I'm more interested in nes/snes/gb/gbc/gba to be honest.

Prospero (OP)

Re: psx, n64, dosbox, will they be there, and how?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:22:13 pm »
hi,

yes, sure im using psxrearmed on the caanoo! with psx4all you cant play at all seriously on the caanoo.

but, playing (full) 3d psx games with the psxrearmed on the caanoo..? maybe with a high frameskip, but i dont enjoy that at all.. all up to 2.5D ok (prerendered or drawn backgrounds with 3d elements), but that is often on the hard edge as well.

i would like to know with how much frames per second ff7 till 9 and breath of fire 3 are playable without frameskip, in world and in (3D) battle.
 ff7 runs fine on the caanoo (30fps inworld), just the battles are sloppy (~8-10fps if i remember well). ff9 ~the same, but the battles are even slower - not fun at all. bof3 runs really fine, just an ice-spell breaks the game in a dungeon (toxic one with mutant; screens becomes black except the chars). ff9 is probably a hard nut, i will not think badly if this one should run slow ; )

if the battles of ff7 would run at 20-25fps that would be a great notice, a worthy improvment! im quite sure the gcw zero can handle it, probably even with the psx4all : ) - but i would like to know, see, get some talk, info, confirmation about it : )

throw us some bones, let us hope and speculate a bit :) the first trailer had a psx game at the end, a full 3d one that ran far(!) better then on the caanoo, ff7 should not make any problem, throw us a first vid : D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:55:23 pm by Prospero »

zear

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »
As for the dosbox, I have mailed slaanesh and he is planning an updated release of his A320 dosbox port. I have tried his old A320 port on the GCW and it runs pretty sweet, ie. Prehistoric 2 is fullspeed. There is just one major problem - he never released the sources, so we not only can't recompile and improve his port, but also this is a major violation of Dosbox's GPL license, which goes against our rules. If the sources are not released, we will not support his Dosbox port and I will personally nuke any threads/links to it that pop up on the forums. So please, mail Slaanesh and annoy him about the sources until he gets sick of it and releases them as he should have back in 2010 ;)

Pcsx Rearmed, as the name hints, is only for the ARM architecture (GCW is MIPS). This is not compatible with and won't run on GCW.
At the moment we have the same psx4all port as A320, just with sound enabled and other minor improvements. Don't ask me about it's performance, as since I don't care much about emulation, I didn't bother to test it thoroughly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:25:18 pm by zear »

theonyxphoenix

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:21 am »
I'm definitely interested in N64 and PSX.  My PSP takes care of the PSX but higher demand SNES games are too slow or unplayable.  Daedalusx64 runs OOT but without sound, which really takes away from the game.  Hopefully PSX and N64 with sound makes its way to the GCW.

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »
..There is just one major problem - he never released the sources, so we not only can't recompile and improve his port, but also this is a major violation of Dosbox's GPL license, which goes against our rules. If the sources are not released, we will not support his Dosbox port and I will personally nuke any threads/links to it that pop up on the forums.

So if I get the urge to play some X-COM: UFO Defense on my GCW, I'll probably have to go with the Playstation version, eh?
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

zear

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:23 pm »
Or you will be able to try openxcom. It's about the time I try to port it to GCW.

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:55:36 pm »
Ah, I knew there was a 3rd option I was forgetting. A moddable version running natively would be ideal, but how complete is that project? It looks like the latest stable version is 0.4, which implies it's less than half complete.
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

DisgruntleElf

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:18 am »
As for the dosbox, I have mailed slaanesh and he is planning an updated release of his A320 dosbox port. I have tried his old A320 port on the GCW and it runs pretty sweet, ie. Prehistoric 2 is fullspeed. There is just one major problem - he never released the sources, so we not only can't recompile and improve his port, but also this is a major violation of Dosbox's GPL license, which goes against our rules. If the sources are not released, we will not support his Dosbox port and I will personally nuke any threads/links to it that pop up on the forums. So please, mail Slaanesh and annoy him about the sources until he gets sick of it and releases them as he should have back in 2010 ;)

It could be that no one has asked slaanesh to release the source code until now.  Please give him time with his updated release before bombarding him with emails. slaanesh is a talented developer and experienced with the mips processor and harassing him will surely turn him off to developing for the GCW0.   

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 02:47:09 am »
If they're not their well enough right away I'm sure that someone will do something.

For myself I'd REALLY like to see dosbox good enough w/sound for at least darklands and daggerfall, both of which SHOULD be doable w/a 1GHz 32b MIPS CPU...

...of course later on I'd like to try daggerxl, but I can't remember if he's doing it in C# or not... i.e. C# mean ah probably no daggerxl(forget the new name) as even mono support will be weak with MIPS... maybe on ARM v7, but not MIPS...

zear

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:36:54 am »

It could be that no one has asked slaanesh to release the source code until now.  Please give him time with his updated release before bombarding him with emails. slaanesh is a talented developer and experienced with the mips processor and harassing him will surely turn him off to developing for the GCW0.

He was asked about this since 2010.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:41:01 am »

From what I know, the last mame4droid seleuco made for Android have support for MIPS devices (in android). Don't know if I am saying something stupid (probably), but maybe these sources for mips are available, don't know, just an idea.

http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/

Retired

bigdavebear

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 01:42:36 am »
This device looks like it will be bang on for all 16 bit and well 32 bit prior to PSX/Saturn

The Screen the Hardware is all but perfect for giving as good Emulation as needed.

I think we wont see satisfactory PSX and N64 Emulation untill we see a new Xperia Play, and also the new JXD 1.5Ghz Dual Core Consoles as these have more hardware and controls that would suit PSX and N64.

The GCW to me looks like the successor to the Wiz/Caanoo that never happened.

The device looks like what you get if you combined the controls of the Wiz and Caanoo and add some extra ummmphh under the bonnet so to speak.

ruffnutts

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 11:42:22 am »
Or you will be able to try openxcom. It's about the time I try to port it to GCW.

That would be great to see a port of xcom ;D

I so would love to play Drak forces on dosbox aswell

retrodd

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:22 pm »
all talking about gcw zero, but specs. aren't really improvement, i'll wait for a new caanoo 2, maybe 1,5 ghz on arm will be enough for n64, psx and dc fullspeed. gp canoo and wiz is already the best device

hi-ban

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:23:29 pm »
all talking about gcw zero, but specs. aren't really improvement, i'll wait for a new caanoo 2, maybe 1,5 ghz on arm will be enough for n64, psx and dc fullspeed. gp canoo and wiz is already the best device

GPH stopped making consoles in september 2011, so there will not be any caanoo 2.

dorino

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:41:49 pm »
The Caanoo would be great if it didn't have that god awful bezel that covers the screen...  :P

Yrx

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 02:57:20 am »
You know GPH went under, right?

edit: Beaten to the punch. :P

ace9094

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19:05 pm »

That would be great to see a port of xcom ;D

I so would love to play Drak forces on dosbox aswell

Drak forces or Dark Forces?

I once played a Starwars FPS (not Dark Forces) on my Brothers PC... It was awesome... I was hooked... I just dont know what it was called... It was an FPS and im talking late 90's (I think)

On another note, I also loved "Deer Hunter" a very simple 2D game, you could use elk scent, antlers and a horn :)

Would love to see that...
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Post a new topic