• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PSX emulation ???  (Read 43116 times)

zear

Re: PSX emulation ???
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2015, 01:33:10 am »
psx4all has been tested time and time again, there are even releases on the old google drive. It's worth noone's time really.
It does a few games decently and that's it.
We're looking to see if improvement is possible first
Who's "we", if I may?
Any improvements in the emulation code will require someone with solid MIPS assembly knowledge and several months of hard work.
This isn't an emulator you can "just" optimize. JohhnyOnFlame already did as much as was possible to get speed-ups outside the dynarec core, but the rest will need to happen in there.

I advice not to hype this up before you have your first results.

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2015, 03:07:21 am »
Who's "we", if I may?
Any improvements in the emulation code will require someone with solid MIPS assembly knowledge and several months of hard work.
This isn't an emulator you can "just" optimize. JohhnyOnFlame already did as much as was possible to get speed-ups outside the dynarec core, but the rest will need to happen in there.

I'm avoiding mentioning him by name at this time, because he has other projects going on as well for the console, and I don't want him to be flooded with PSX related questions.

Like I said, before anything, we're just looking at it to see if we can improve audio. We haven't done anything yet. From there, we'll see what can be done and if it's possible.

If it isn't possible, then we'll have to wait for someone to come along and create an emulator from scratch for us. Who knows, maybe we'll find someone who used to work on the Playstation's hardware at Sony.  ;) (Doesn't hurt to dream.)
Dingoonity is the place to be!

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2015, 03:14:02 am »
Very good idea.

David Knight

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2015, 09:21:49 am »
psx4all has been tested time and time again, there are even releases on the old google drive. It's worth noone's time really.
It does a few games decently and that's it.
We're looking to see if improvement is possible first
Who's "we", if I may?

"we" was me. This is being hyped way too much. I simply agreed to look at the code, nothing more. I also agree that other than optimising there is little more that can be done without a dynarec.

Sorry people, this is a false alarm. xXFrostXx please can you refrain from posting the results of private correspondence without first agreeing to do so with all parties.

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »
Yeah, sorry David. My apologies.
Perhaps because I was able to run so many games full speed with various settings, I thought we were closer than we really were.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »
Hey everyone... just letting you know, if this helps, that Final Fantasy 8 does NOT load after passing the menu. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night & Final Fantasy 7 loaded without issues with the PS1 BIOS though.

Good luck.

;D

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2015, 01:28:01 pm »
Well, in my opinion psx4all is very nice for a few games
Played recently the whole FinalFantasy 7 and only observed a few issues with audio and some framerate drops on 2 parts that had ingame CG with the characters
And have about 30 isos tested already with satisfying results, like Parasite Eve which I started with no issues for now....

Them, wouldn't be a better idea to concentrate efforts to port EPSXE instead? It was ported to android recently and the compatibility is almost 100%

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2015, 01:39:36 pm »
Them, wouldn't be a better idea to concentrate efforts to port EPSXE instead? It was ported to android recently and the compatibility is almost 100%
No. Not possible/reasonable. Period.
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

Skelton-retired

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2015, 01:48:56 pm »
ePSXe is close source. The one to port I suppose would be PCSX ReARMed, but I suppose it should be adapted to MIPS with a new dynarec to get a decent speed emulation.
Retired

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2015, 07:11:42 pm »
ePSXe is close source. The one to port I suppose would be PCSX ReARMed, but I suppose it should be adapted to MIPS with a new dynarec to get a decent speed emulation.

That would certainly be nice. Though, the most I could do there is help with graphics.
If we could gather a group of guys with experience in MIPS, then maybe we could eventually see this happen.

It would take months, however.

Fluxchar

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2015, 08:43:35 pm »
Hold on second, FF VII can be emulated on the GCW with the CURRENT PSX emu? WHAT?

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:17 pm »
yup, psx4all.opk

It exists within this forum... however, its experimental... in other words, its unoptimized. If you have the ps1 bios file to go along with the .opk, most games will run decently including FF7.

Fluxchar

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2015, 09:14:55 pm »
which bios would you need to run FF VII? I have all 3 I think.... also they go in data/local/home/.psx4all correct? the game can go anywhere?

Fluxchar

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2015, 09:53:10 pm »
I have 1001. 1000 and 7502... I put them in the same folder as FF VII. first battle and it crashes.... the main menu is a little buggy too if that matters... I select 7502 cause I think that's the right one..

Fluxchar

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:20 pm »
works great but it runs a tad fast. OH WELL!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:00:53 pm by Fluxchar »

Aeter

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2015, 11:57:03 pm »
yup, psx4all.opk

It exists within this forum... however, its experimental... in other words, its unoptimized. If you have the ps1 bios file to go along with the .opk, most games will run decently including FF7.
What is the correct bios? And does it have to be in a specific format?
~cucullus non facit monachum~

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:47 am »
scph 1001.bin I believe

Aeter

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2015, 09:23:15 pm »
scph 1001.bin I believe
Thank you will try this very soon.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2015, 02:15:25 am »
hey everyone... I found this website recently somewhere on this forum, I believe the retro section... great if anyone desires one of the models that caters to their taste on a PC.

http://www.belchine.net/index.php?id_manufacturer=11&controller=manufacturer&id_lang=1

Beerman1138

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »
hey everyone... I found this website recently somewhere on this forum, I believe the retro section... great if anyone desires one of the models that caters to their taste on a PC.

http://www.belchine.net/index.php?id_manufacturer=11&controller=manufacturer&id_lang=1

I have the NES30, and it is awesome.  The buttons feel EXACTLY like an original NES controller (a very good thing, as they feel very good and responsive).