• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PSX emulation ???  (Read 43116 times)

fiver

Re: PSX emulation ???
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2015, 03:04:46 pm »

Well the sentence I mentioned is on the second paragraph of the campaign section. It's there.

As I stated earlier, though, saying that it can "emulate the game consoles we grew up with" is not a promise. It's advertising copy. For example, you could've grown up with a Gamecube, and I doubt very much it's powerful enough to emulate that. I see nothing in that paragraph about an N64 or PSX emulator, either.

Also if you read the first few months of comments it was alluded to several times, CBA trawling through all that kickstarter dirge though.

So there was no promise. Just some allusions somewhere, that you can't even be bothered to look up.

You know, this reminds me of when the N64 emulators came out for the PC, in a bad way. For a long time, people complained about the lack of an N64 emulator. When some devs finally started writing one, though, the poor guys got dogpiled by immature kids demanding updates. ("When's the next version coming out?" "When are you fixing this?" "When are you adding support for game X?" "Why won't you add this feature??") So, creating the emulator did not cause the complaints to end; in fact, it multiplied them!

Complainers gonna complain.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
Two years ago a video appeared of a prototype of what today is GCW Zero, but not running openDingux, but a crappy chinese OS I guess. And even in that video PSX emulation (choppy, that's true), was shown. So I understand that people may expect a PSX emulator, because in the very first video when this device was shown (and was still a generic device running chinese OS), it had PSX emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cN2wZM28Gw

So I can understand that people would like a PSX emulator. But saying that does not imply that people are "demanding" it. It's just a wish. For me personally it's fine as it is, since I only use GCW Zero to play Megadrive.
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2015, 08:03:25 pm »
As I stated earlier, though, saying that it can "emulate the game consoles we grew up with" is not a promise. It's advertising copy. For example, you could've grown up with a Gamecube, and I doubt very much it's powerful enough to emulate that. I see nothing in that paragraph about an N64 or PSX emulator, either.

Yup, they advertised it. Nobody expects Gamecube emulation in a handheld, it will be a while before that is even workable on Android or Windows tabs/phones. People do however expect PS1 at least as they can emulate that on their phones, why would a dedicated emulation/retro handheld not have something that a cheap phone has? It's now 2015 as I said, it's pretty much expected of a console like this.

You know, this reminds me of when the N64 emulators came out for the PC, in a bad way. For a long time, people complained about the lack of an N64 emulator. When some devs finally started writing one, though, the poor guys got dogpiled by immature kids demanding updates. ("When's the next version coming out?" "When are you fixing this?" "When are you adding support for game X?" "Why won't you add this feature??") So, creating the emulator did not cause the complaints to end; in fact, it multiplied them!

Complainers gonna complain.

As already said this is long overdue though and besides people aren't pestering devs, they are just asking questions about a possible emulator or hoping for progress on the dead end PSX4All. Some may be new to the forum and don't want to dig through 1000s of posts (the search function on this site is crap) so just ask a simple question and get shouted down for it. Indeed my entry in this thread was to basically say there is nothing wrong with expecting a PS1 emulator and asking questions about it but that gets shot down too.

Like it's some forbidden topic we can't talk about. A topic about emulation on the Zero, on a subforum about emulation on the Zero......
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

opt2not

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2015, 08:33:20 pm »
Did you actually read the comments? FFS, the GCW evangelists on here are getting more clueless with each passing day!

Listen, nobody was complaining. Nobody was "disrespecting the devs". Nobody was "spitting on the community" or whatever. It was people discussing a subject in a matter of fact way on an internet forum, a forum which isn't even dedicated to the GCW and has multiple active sub sections where people don't get so butthurt when you talk about their consoles' shortcomings.

Personally I couldn't give a f**k if the Zero got PS1, N64 or whatever but there are plenty of people who do. People who bought the thing off Kickstarter or that Ithic kickscammer guy expecting it to (direct quote from both) "emulate the game consoles we grew up with" and then found out it didn't do as described. Maybe you should "show some respect" to those people.

Maybe let people discuss things properly in a calm manner (it is a forum after all) rather than crying when people say things which don't fit in with your views. Nobody needs GCW cheerleading, not at this stage.
+1 to this post. 

Like I said in my post, I like my GCW for what it is in it's current state. I also don't care much for PSX or N64 emulation, because the only games you're going to enjoy with that control set-up are the games that don't require dual-analog (PSX), or  ports from arcade games or other consoles (which are already emulated on the GCW).
But people want it, and yes, it was "implied" by the initial KS campaign, especially with the first batch of released teaser videos (for example by qbertaddict1 showing choppy PSX emulation).

No one was "disrespecting" anyone. My point was that people need to research what this device can actually do, and decide if it's the right one for them. Managing expectations is the key here, even if you're a hopeful fanatic. The GCW is great for the non-3D consoles, and if it so happens that we get some devs enthusiastic about emulating PSX and N64, then awesome!  The more the merrier!  That doesn't mean we should stop showing interest in getting these types of features.

Personally, my only disappointment with the console is the lack of HDMI support currently (I can live with squeaky buttons), since it's been over 2 years since the initial KS campaign promise. Which is one of the key features I made the decision to back it. Especially since the stretch goals were in support of getting this feature, so it's definitely something that should be delivered on, which hasn't come yet. <my fingers are still crossed>

Dangoo

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:55 pm »
Have to say that Playstation emulation should be expected to some extent. Check out Gameseek who sell the Zero in the UK. Even now on their website it says it can 'Run games from NES, SNES, GBA, Sega, PlayStation, PC and a whole lot more too numerous to mention.'

So if I had bought one on that basis and then come to this forum (which according to Gameseek is 'a large community of GCW enthusiasts who will help you through just about anything') I would be disappointed that there was no Playstation emulation and disappointed if I got told off for asking about it!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:22:01 pm by Dangoo »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:46 pm »
There is PSX emulation. With psx4all. It's not very good, but it works for some games.

g3506634

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2015, 05:41:23 pm »
Here's a link for Psx4all. https://github.com/flpstr/Psx4all . Despite the fact it runs poorly I'm not sure why it isn't in the Repository.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:44:26 pm by fidelis »

Aeter

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:53 pm »
Here's a link for Psx4all. https://github.com/flpstr/Psx4all . Despite the fact it runs poorly I'm not sure why it isn't in the Repository.
There are certain requirements that need to be met to be qualified for the repo. As is mentioned here:
http://wiki.surkow.com/Software_Porting_Guidelines
This doesn't meet the requirement and neither does the mupen64 you pointed towards, which is an attempt to n64 emulation and is nowhere near playable as far as I've read on the forums here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:41:43 pm by Aeter »
~cucullus non facit monachum~

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2015, 12:09:05 am »
Okay, I didn't bother reading through the many pages in this topic, but I just wanted to say one thing.
PSX emulation is being looked at.  ;) (Yes, really.)

I haven't been active on here the past month or so due to college, and just like everyone else, I desire a finished PSX emulator. So, now that I'm back, someone else on here and I are going to take a look at the old psx4all source. I've been doing some testing and only found two games that wouldn't run.
The main issue here is the audio crackling and badly mapped hotkeys. (You can't aim in Medal of Honor thanks to show/hide fps being mapped to the dpad.)

We're going to look at it and see what can be done, and we will create a development topic when ready. (Within the next week, likely.)
The GCW-Zero is more than powerful enough to emulate the Playstation, and psx4all is a very good emulator, it just needs some improvement.

We look forward to working on it.

L2 and R2 are still used by holding select+R, select+L, etc.
The lack of the second analog stick just means no Ape Escape.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:27:25 am by xXFrostXx »
Dingoonity is the place to be!

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:14 am »
Alright! That's phenomenal news! I hope you both are able to get to the bottom of it, honestly... that's about the only BIG emulator that's missing from the Zero's resume.

I would definitely recommend, if I could, to change that dull menu that's black & white... terrible menu there so far.

Good luck!

Oh, I know this is super early, but do you both have a ballpark ETA as to when beta-build .opk's will be available? I only ask so soon just to have an idea... as everyone else does I can imagine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:37:24 am by vetran »

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2015, 12:46:29 am »
Alright! That's phenomenal news! I hope you both are able to get to the bottom of it, honestly... that's about the only BIG emulator that's missing from the Zero's resume.

I would definitely recommend, if I could, to change that dull menu that's black & white... terrible menu there so far.

Good luck!

Oh, I know this is super early, but do you both have a ballpark ETA as to when beta-build .opk's will be available? I only ask so soon just to have an idea... as everyone else does I can imagine.

Release date of a beta? No idea. As soon as he gets home he's going to look at the emulator to see if we can improve audio, and I'm going to work on some graphics. (I'm definitely looking to change the menu and use gmenu for game selection instead of the built-in selector.)

We have to see if it's possible to improve audio first. He also has some other projects going on at the moment, so we'll be sure to take a look ASAP here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:50:01 am by xXFrostXx »

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2015, 12:51:36 am »
Frost... that's awesome! Thanks for the input, 'preciate it.

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2015, 01:04:34 am »
Frost... that's awesome! Thanks for the input, 'preciate it.

No problem. Every game that I've tested has run just fine for me, there's just slight audio crackling. Here's a list of some games that I've been testing with different settings:
Alien Resurrection
Glover
Spyro the Dragon 1, 2, and 3
Chocobo Racing
Bugs Bunny - Lost in Time
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor - Underground
Klonoa - Door to Phantomile
007 - The World is Not Enough (Freezes on load screen.)
Donald Duck - Goin' Quackers (Speeds through intro for some reason, then freezes on new game.)
Dexter's Laboratory - Mandark's Lab
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase
Mortal Kombat 4

That's about it so far. (This is with the emulator in its current state tested on different settings. Only issue with these is the audio, which can likely be fixed. We'll look into it whenever he's ready to.)

And yes, I get full speed on all of these games. (Besides the two that don't work.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:06:42 am by xXFrostXx »

opt2not

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2015, 03:40:26 am »
That's excellent news! Glad to hear you guys are taking this on. If you need any testing done, I offer my time.

krs one

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2015, 06:15:31 am »
If you need a beta tester I'm game. I have a few games that I'm dying to play on the gcw.

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 07:57:40 am »
What? Really??? This isthe BEST new for our Zeros, thank you so much ;).

I have a lot of PSX games in my SD card, If you need people for testing count on me.
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Elaphe

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 08:33:35 am »
Have you tried Gunners Heaven and Harmfull Park? Those are the only PSX games I'm interested in and their technology is pretty simple: low res bitmaps. It would be amazing to be able to run them at full speed with my GCW Zero.

johnnyonflame

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2015, 09:11:02 am »
psx4all has been tested time and time again, there are even releases on the old google drive. It's worth noone's time really.
It does a few games decently and that's it.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2015, 12:15:19 pm »
I am ecstatic over the news, personally. I can't wait for a few beta releases of this emu... however, I can imagine it'll be a few months until something gets produced for public download.

Still, I would love to be able to finish FF8 & FF9... never got around to those.

:o

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2015, 04:19:58 pm »
psx4all has been tested time and time again, there are even releases on the old google drive. It's worth noone's time really.
It does a few games decently and that's it.

We're looking to see if improvement is possible first, however I did get a lot of games running (with slight audio crackle, mainly the music).

It's worth a shot. I'm definitely hoping we can take it somewhere from it's current state.

Post a new topic