• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PSP emulator  (Read 5293 times)

Seph817 (OP)

PSP emulator
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
Has there been any more talk of this? I read that it might be possible if there was a MIPS recompiler. Doesn't the PCSX4all emulator have one of these?

Senor Quack

Re: PSP emulator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:27:35 am »
I don't know much about the PSP. Adapting the PCSX4ALL dynarec to suit the PSP would likely be pretty easy. The trouble is the PSP's vector-op VFPU and PSP GPU's drastically enhanced graphics capabilities.  We don't have a vectorized FPU (it's not even fully pipelined!) and our GPU is only 'OK'. Factor in that the PS1's CPU clock speed is 33mhz, compared to 222mhz for the PSP.    Then, there's the 'Media Engine', oh man.

I think if it were ever to be ported, only some 2D games *might* be playable. Kind of.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:10:19 am by Senor Quack »

Seph817 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:33:46 pm »
That sounds like a lot of factors! Do you know of anyone that's still in the Zero scene that might be capable of doing something with this?

Aeter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:30:18 pm »
That sounds like a lot of factors! Do you know of anyone that's still in the Zero scene that might be capable of doing something with this?
I think PSP emulation is not realistic.
Most devs have already pulled pretty great tricks out of their magical hats with PCSX4ALL and the N64 tech preview.
And that seems to be pushing the capabilities of the GCW0 at this time.

Of course there is still a firmware update in the pipeline that might offer new possibilities.
GPU wise not much will improve, as there is no KMS driver, which is needed to use newer versions of Etnaviv, which would improve the GPU, correct me if I'm wrong.

So yeah when the firmware gets released and KMS driver is made, if it will happen, than maybe there is some sort of possibility of PSP emulation, but don't get your hopes up, we're talking years here.
~cucullus non facit monachum~