• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PLAYSTATION AND N64 Emulators on the GCW ZERO?  (Read 24440 times)

dongo (OP)

PLAYSTATION AND N64 Emulators on the GCW ZERO?
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:32:06 am »
Hello Everyone,

I know other threads from years ago have said that it's not happening.   :( :'(

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any changes or releases that work for playstation 1 and N64 emulation?

The screen resolution and hardware are more than capable of running those games. 

Also if you have it can you point me to where I can get a working playstation or N64 emulator? 

That is really all this hand held is missing.  I would love to play mega man 64 on it as I did with my JXD which was less powerful. 

I have seen very recent videos on youtube running N64 and playstation games but no explanation of how they did it. 

Thanks.   8)

zhongtiao1

Re: PLAYSTATION AND N64 Emulators on the GCW ZERO?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 04:56:42 am »
Not to be rude or anything, but there's a large thread three down from this one about n64 emulation. PS1 emulation IS happening, gameblabla is making a port of mednafen, which includes PS1. It is the second thread under GCW-zero development

dongo (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 07:16:50 am »
not be rude but it does not answer the question.  It simply dances around it.  sorry.

Ziz

• http://ziz.gp2x.de
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 12:05:29 pm »
N64: No. Plenty of reasons in plenty of threads.
PS1: Probably yes. Keep an eye on mednafen. However you can't force it. Furthermore it is not possible to give a timetable.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. Wash

dongo (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:18:54 pm »
not asking for a time table.  Ive seen recent playable emulators in vids.  There is clearly a working PS and N64 emulator out there.  That is what I am asking for.  I don't care if it's not 100%

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:37:14 pm »
The video showing N64 emulation was given as a counter example. You can recompile upstream Mupen64Plus and run games using the interpreter. It is not playable in its current state and the expectation is that it won't become much faster either.

Fluxchar

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:37:18 pm »
Are we still talking about n64 emulators? its never gonna happen. My psx emu works fine on my GCW :)

dongo (OP)

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:53:25 pm »
Are we still talking about n64 emulators? its never gonna happen. My psx emu works fine on my GCW :)

Is PSX Emu a PS emulator?  If so how can I get it?  I have been looking around but can not find any OPK files for a PS emulator.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »

Is PSX Emu a PS emulator?  If so how can I get it?  I have been looking around but can not find any OPK files for a PS emulator.
https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B9EgGumkJaabSE9TaEdFbVVBSlU#list

dongo (OP)

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 02:58:11 pm »

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B9EgGumkJaabSE9TaEdFbVVBSlU#list

All I see there is PSX4ALL.  That wont launch the games.  I have tried.  I have the bios files but it does not seem to find them.  Do you know where I can find working bios's and where to install them?  I put them in the psx4all folder and its not working.  it tries to launch and crashes immediately. 

Quickman

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 07:13:14 pm »
 As I've spoken to other people about this in other threads regarding the same question about Nintendo 64, praise the heavens and the creator of whomever actually gets it to work/if they get something to work. "IF" being the keyword. Right now the closest thing they've got to work is running Nintendo 64 at 30% speed. @zear himself specified that any work further from here would take at least a year of extremely knowledgeable programmers spending 40 hours full-time a week to do so,  with a huge possibility at the end of that year......programmers saying, sorry we still couldn't get it past 30% speed.
 Dude, I was so dedicated to getting Nintendo 64 to work, that I even started a thread asking if I could somehow upgrade the hardware or CPU in order to get it to do what I want. Ha ha! What a dumbass, right?

So, keep your fingers crossed and maybe one day it'll happen. However, don't buy a zero for those reasons. I'm trying to come to terms with this myself.
 As long as we can at least get the TV out/HDMI feature working ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:16:39 pm by Quickman77 »

thefifthgiant

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 09:31:36 pm »

All I want for Christmas...

Quickman

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:55:01 am »

I mean, it has to happen!.. Right?!
I'll keep checking under my Christmas tree as well ;)

dongo (OP)

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 12:08:20 pm »

Is an emulator worth buying?  This thing is garbage.  The devs need to work on rolling things out.  If its run solely by the community it is going to fail hard!  Its been out for years this should have happened already.  The hardware is more than capable.

lemmywinks

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »
If it doesn't do what you want then sell it and buy something else. There's not much point in lamenting missing features when the people who are doing the actual coding are unpaid and working in their spare time.

Sometimes community projects like this can really work, the key factor is getting people interested in it and unfortunately for the Zero that hasn't really happened, hence the small community and slow progress. It is what it is, if you need the missing features then just buy something else while the Zero still has resale value.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

dongo (OP)

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »
If it doesn't do what you want then sell it and buy something else. There's not much point in lamenting missing features when the people who are doing the actual coding are unpaid and working in their spare time.

Sometimes community projects like this can really work, the key factor is getting people interested in it and unfortunately for the Zero that hasn't really happened, hence the small community and slow progress. It is what it is, if you need the missing features then just buy something else while the Zero still has resale value.

It hasnt happened due to bad marketing.  They showcase the ability to play PS1 and N64 games but clearly can not.  And they allow those videos to also propagate on youtube as well.

I do have a much better device with more capabilities.  I prefer my JXD when it comes to play ability.    the GCW is great but its lagging way behind the times on development. 

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 02:29:20 pm »
The only games and emulators promoted to work are listed at the downloads section of the GCW Zero website. We have stringent checks to make sure applications pass our requirements to be listed. There is no way to control what resellers use to promote the hardware. The community is not required to offer support for work in progress releases found on the forums. As stated previously, the N64 video was used to counter expectations of having a working emulator anytime soon. The PSX4ALL emulator has never been officially released, and was only intended to be shared between developers as a proof of concept.

dongo (OP)

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 02:39:59 pm »
The only games and emulators promoted to work are listed at the downloads section of the GCW Zero website. We have stringent checks to make sure applications pass our requirements to be listed. There is no way to control what resellers use to promote the hardware. The community is not required to offer support for work in progress releases found on the forums. As stated previously, the N64 video was used to counter expectations of having a working emulator anytime soon.

Well that is a horrible counter for that, also probably should have guidelines for retailers.  I mean everyone else does it's pretty important and will stop lawsuits over false advertising against the company.  Also most of the videos I have seen have flawlessly working N64 emulators with no lag what so ever.  So at least for some games it is entirely possible to run them fully.  Probably something you guys should be pursuing. 

lemmywinks

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »
It hasnt happened due to bad marketing.  They showcase the ability to play PS1 and N64 games but clearly can not.  And they allow those videos to also propagate on youtube as well.

I do have a much better device with more capabilities.  I prefer my JXD when it comes to play ability.    the GCW is great but its lagging way behind the times on development.

It's not really down to marketing, most of the people who you would want developing for it know full well what the Zero is and have already been contacted, they just aren't interested. Probably the biggest reasons it hasn't attracted the developers people were hoping for is the small user base and the fact it uses MIPS instruction set, so it's a lot of work to cater for a small group.

N64 has never been "showcased" btw, there is a video floating around showing the Zero failing badly at running the more simple N64 games, not sure why that would be considered an advert for it being able to acheive usable N64 emulation when in fact it shows the opposite.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

lemmywinks

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 02:47:38 pm »
Also most of the videos I have seen have flawlessly working N64 emulators with no lag what so ever. 

Links?
Handhelds:
PC:

Post a new topic