• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gmenu ROM selector  (Read 6307 times)

shirohagen (OP)

Gmenu ROM selector
« on: July 07, 2013, 07:57:24 pm »
Hi guys

I've been trying out emulators on my Zero, but haven't managed to get them all working. I think the problem might lie with those emulators which let you select the ROM directly through Gmenu, for example Picodrive, as none of those work. Pressing the confirm button on the ROM directory always dumps me back to the Gmenu home screen. Any emulators with their own built in selectors work fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have something set up wrongly?

Any help would be appreciated...

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: Gmenu ROM selector
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 08:08:53 pm »
Did you install the latest OpenDingux upgrade that was released today?

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:54:13 pm »
when you browse to your rom directory press start to select it for good

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »
I installed the update pcercuei, thanks for the pointer.

Thanks also for the tip qbertaddict!

I reckon I might have misdiagnosed the issue. Coincidentally the same emulators which won't work and use the Gmenu selector, are also the same ones which I didn't realise require a BIOS image. Hopefully with that in place, I'll be good to go.

So false alarm, but thanks for the advice though, both of you.

I'm liking the Gmenu rom selector, a really nice way of having a unified GUI on the Zero across the emulators, but with the modularity of being able to update/setup the apps individually. I never had this quite working on my old Wiz, but the Zero is already feeling tidier.

As far as Gmenu goes, I wish all apps allowed you to move them between sections and assign a custom icon. Is this supported on an app by app basis? Was going to get skinning...

zear

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:25:58 pm »
As far as Gmenu goes, I wish all apps allowed you to move them between sections and assign a custom icon. Is this supported on an app by app basis? Was going to get skinning...
This isn't supported at all, because all the gmenu2x settings for an app are stored inside the individual opk file (which is a read-only filesystem).

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 05:44:15 pm »
That's odd, some of the apps on my Zero have an edit option on them which offers a change of section and icon.

I definitely want to control how my apps are arranged, and create custom icons for them, so is the idea that that won't be possible? Bit strange for an open device, disappointingly more like a closed iOS approach...

Wortsenawl

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:21 pm »
when you browse to your rom directory press start to select it for good

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but it doesn't work for me. Do you mean when browsing in the emulator menu?

I am very slowly figuring things out... slowly.

FYI Qbert, your videos have helped (and thanks too to Ruffnuts)
Not just a hairy face

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:58 pm »
I definitely want to control how my apps are arranged, and create custom icons for them, so is the idea that that won't be possible? Bit strange for an open device, disappointingly more like a closed iOS approach...
Give it some time.

Currently you can't change the icon of OPK apps in the contextual menu; however if your skin has an icon with the same filename it will be used instead.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:58:15 pm by pcercuei »

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:40:50 pm »
Happy to wait, it just sounded like the lack of options was the intended outcome that's all. Hopefully setting custom options like that will become the standard for final release OPKs.

In the meantime, I'm looking into skinning Gmenu.

hippo22

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:37:22 pm »
I do not know why but since I updated the firmware I can not see the MD roms anymore. With the built in explorer and a ftp client I can see the files...

ruffnutts

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »
I do not know why but since I updated the firmware I can not see the MD roms anymore. With the built in explorer and a ftp client I can see the files...

The same as happened for my .wad files.. a quick fix would be to delete the extensions of the file and they should show up so they say.... but yes its a pain for sure lol

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 09:31:39 pm »

The same as happened for my .wad files.. a quick fix would be to delete the extensions of the file and they should show up so they say.... but yes its a pain for sure lol

What extension use your Megadrive ROMs?

About Doom's WAD files, I uploaded a fixed prboom+.opk in the google drive repo.

ruffnutts

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:12:47 pm »
Thanks for the fix pcercuei ;)

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 04:03:41 pm »
I'm having the same problem with MD roms with Picodrive using the built in selector.

Not a sign of any, tried .smd and .bin extensions.

They're definitely there when browsing using the built in file manager, and they are present when the microSD card is mounted via a USB reader on Mac OSX.

They launch and run perfectly from the microSD in emulators on the Mac.

Weird.

It's my understanding that MD roms don't need a BIOS, just the MegaCD? Is that right?

yoshi41

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »
Not a sign of any, tried .smd and .bin extensions.

Try .md instead.
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 04:34:48 pm »
Currently it will open *.gen *.md, I will add *.bin *.smd in the future firmware update.

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 08:32:31 am »
Hi pcercuei, thanks for the pointer - renaming my files has fixed it. Picodrive is a beautiful thing. :-)

That firmware update will come in handy, I'll look out for that.

Cheers!

Post a new topic