• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gameboy Color/Advance emulation  (Read 14047 times)

gamefreak_joey

Re: Gameboy Color/Advance emulation
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 07:23:12 am »
Have you tried defining the roms directory?

-Highlight gpSP icon and press Select
-Edit gpSP
-Selector Directory
-Specify your roms directory (SD Card is found under the "media" folder in some instances)
-Be sure to press Start to finalize your selected rom directory

Edit: Scratch that. I didn't read it fully. It'll let you select the rom and then exits the emulator? If so it may be bios as Seph817 stated. Either way it couldn't hurt to redefine the directory. I think the recent firmware updates corrected file name errors right? Could it be weird characters in the rom name?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:30:03 am by gamefreak_joey »

Moehammered

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »
Hey I've read through and seem to have the same issue, however when following the steps that solved it for you it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I saw in the post above me that weird characters might be causing it so I removed numbers and everything except regular letters. Still no dice. Have photos taken, done the search directory and the bios file. Deleted and re-copied the gpSP folder. Don't know what next to try except compile the sources but I won't be able to attempt that for a few days.

Photos
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20258616/IMAG0314.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20258616/IMAG0315.jpg
[Experience]
3 years C++ w/ SDL_GL, 2 years Java w/ LWJGL, 2 years UDK (Unreal Engine 3), 1 Year Unity (Unity3D)

[Consoles]
2 GB DMG-01, 1 GBC, 3 GB Pocket, GBA SP, JXD s601, PSP Slim, PS Vita, Open Pandora 1GHz Edition, annnd drumroll......... GCW ZERO SE!!!! :D

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 12:43:23 pm »
Maybe it is the actual bios file? Is yours 16,384 bytes? Have you tried replacing it with another bios file?

Moehammered

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:54 pm »
I've recopied the bios because I remembered having bad copying occur with ftp a few times on other systems. I'll find another source for it and see if that solves the issue.
[Experience]
3 years C++ w/ SDL_GL, 2 years Java w/ LWJGL, 2 years UDK (Unreal Engine 3), 1 Year Unity (Unity3D)

[Consoles]
2 GB DMG-01, 1 GBC, 3 GB Pocket, GBA SP, JXD s601, PSP Slim, PS Vita, Open Pandora 1GHz Edition, annnd drumroll......... GCW ZERO SE!!!! :D

Seph817

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 01:06:40 pm »
Are you using the opk from this page?:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9EgGumkJaabSE9TaEdFbVVBSlU#list

That's what I have.

Moehammered

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:23 pm »

That's what I have.

THANKS! Did the trick! I was using the OpenDingux compiled version (.dge) because I couldnt find the google drive folder with the opk files that has been mentioned in a few posts I've read but never seen a link to. Thanks again its all working now :)
[Experience]

[Consoles]

zear

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »
THANKS! Did the trick! I was using the OpenDingux compiled version (.dge)
Why would you even do it?
It's a GCW Zero, not a Dingoo A320. They aren't binary compatible!

Moehammered

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »
THANKS! Did the trick! I was using the OpenDingux compiled version (.dge)
Why would you even do it?
It's a GCW Zero, not a Dingoo A320. They aren't binary compatible!

Well I thought that too, but a few posts I've read have some people suggesting .dge binaries work on the Zero, if I remember correctly it was a thread on the gMark benchmarker. Might be wrong.
So i thought to test it myself, the OhBoy.dge worked fantastically so I thought they must be similar enough for some to work. Been using it for a few days now. Wonder how it actually is working?

Plus I couldn't find a link to the elusive google drive that has been brought up a few times. I'm sure I just missed it by skim reading through forum posts too quickly.
[Experience]

[Consoles]

Seph817

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 01:43:46 pm »
Glad I could help.

zear

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:43:53 pm »
Both platforms are MIPS Linux and they share a similar userland (OpenDingux), so in theory they could remain binary compatible. The GCW0's flavour of OpenDingux however evolved a lot in order to fully utilize the hardware. There is now hardware floating point calculation using the FPU chip, the libraries were updated to backwards incompatible versions, programs now use $HOME for save/data path, internal memory's filesystem was changed to EXT (chmods) and finally there is the OPK format support. All these changes make most of the Dingoo A320 binaries incompatible with GCW0, however there is a small chance that a program not using any of the mentioned features will work on GCW. This chance is very small however and it decreases with every new firmware update.

Moehammered

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:17 pm »
Oh an FPU nice! :D that's actually good knowledge to have for development. So I won't throw this thread off topic any more then it is. Yes Ohboy seemed to use its own directory navigator, and looks like it uses complete software side to emulate things hence it's compatibility. Well I have the google drive link now bookmarked and replaced all dge binaries with equivalent opk binaries. Thanks for all the help, loving this community so far, can't wait to contribute towards it.
[Experience]

[Consoles]

sevwin

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 04:38:34 pm »

That's what I have.

I am using the one on this page. Is that bios file you mentioned, is it a hidden file? Do I use something special to move it to a certain directory?

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 04:52:32 pm »
You need to find the bios file by yourself, it's illegal to include it in the .opk file and it's against the rules of the forum to share the file or a link to download it. Ideally, you should dump a bios image from your own GBA to be able to use it, but maybe you can find more info in google.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:54:37 pm by DiegoSLTS »

hi-ban

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 07:49:35 pm »
just google for "gba bios".
It took me about 10 seconds to find the file, so it is not that difficult.

Reds

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 06:44:44 pm »
Anyone know how to change the screen resolution on GPsp so that it runs natively? Sorry, I'm new at this.

Hylian

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 07:27:52 pm »
Anyone know how to change the screen resolution on GPsp so that it runs natively? Sorry, I'm new at this.

Press "Y" to bring up the settings menu and select "Graphics and Sound options" and then you can change the display scaling from "fullscreen" to "normal".

Reds

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »

Press "Y" to bring up the settings menu and select "Graphics and Sound options" and then you can change the display scaling from "fullscreen" to "normal".

Yeah, I should probably try pressing all of the buttons first next time. Thanks.

Post a new topic