Author Topic: zerox86 released!  (Read 94833 times)

Gab1975

Re: zerox86 released!
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 07:41:07 pm »
Where can I find the exact scan-codes (PC keyboard hardware key numbers) to customize the GCW0 keys?
Thanks in advance! :)

Gab1975

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2014, 08:22:55 pm »
Where can I find the exact scan-codes (PC keyboard hardware key numbers) to customize the GCW0 keys?
Thanks in advance! :)

Probably I found the right scan-codes! ;)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa299374(v=vs.60).aspx

Pate (OP)

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 05:33:49 am »
@TimeDevouncer: Sorry for being unclear.. I meant that I plan to enhance zerox86 so it work properly also without the high-res timers, because the current kernel does not yet support high-res timers.
@toto: Well, you will still need to copy the DOS games to where you want them etc, so the OPK can not be automated much further than how it currently works. Consider 4DOS.COM just another DOS game, so it is only the INI file that you probably need to adjust. Take a look at the contents of my default INI file, it is not all that difficult to understand.
@Gab1975: I will consider making the exit configurable. Thanks for testing those games! And yeah, that scan code table should be at least mostly correct. You may need to add E0 before the actual scan code for some games that differentiate between the keypad and normal cursor keys, but otherwise that table should work as-is.
@Malleus: Thanks for the info! Could be because of the lack of high-res timers, but could also be caused by a bug in zerox86. I'll take a look this summer.

Thanks for your interest and feedback!

Pate

Gab1975

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 07:38:52 am »
@Gab1975: I will consider making the exit configurable.

The power slider seems to be rather breakable, so it's better to not use it often (IMHO)...

Thanks for testing those games!

Thanks to you for your work! :) I tested some other games: Alcatraz runs very slow; Deathbringer runs perfectly; Fire and Forget II runs perfectly; Indy 500 runs perfectly; Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja runs very slow; Krusty's Super Fun house runs very slow; Lotus the Ultimate Challenge has some graphic glitches, but, in general, it runs pretty well; Power Drive runs perfectly; Skyroads runs perfectly; Star Wars, the vector graphic game, runs too fast)

And yeah, that scan code table should be at least mostly correct. You may need to add E0 before the actual scan code for some games that differentiate between the keypad and normal cursor keys, but otherwise that table should work as-is.

Yes, I tried to customize the keys for some games and they work fine! ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:15:13 pm by Gab1975 »

toto

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 07:12:15 pm »
Do I have to create the .zerox86 file? How can I download the .ini? When I click on it a text apppears.

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 07:18:29 pm »
Do I have to create the .zerox86 file? How can I download the .ini? When I click on it a text apppears.

Second button of the mouse over the ini, and download ;). If you click with the first button you open the file.

I have to find more time to try all my games calmly, but...

- The Indredible Machine. Sound Off works perfect. Sound On crash.
- Little Big Adventure. Works fine, but in exteriors has slowdowns.
- Shadow of the comer. Perfect ^^.
- Ishar 2. Music problem and graphics bugs.
- Alone in the Dark. It seems that all goes fine.
- Alone in the Dark 3. It seems that all goes fine.
- Battle Chess. Perfect! But...It's possible to set the mouse to DPAD? I hate the stick :P
- Jazz JackRabbit. A little slowdowns and little problems with sound, but playable.
- DiscWorld. It seems that all goes fine.
- Terminal Velocity. Slooooooooow ;D

Ah! In some games or Setups, the size doesn't fit Zero Screen and it's very very hard to use. For example: The setup of LBA.

Great work with this emu, I love it ;). Ah! it's possible to remove the screen of controls with a key combination? Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:32:58 pm by TimeDevouncer »
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Malleus

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2014, 07:33:54 pm »
Is there any way of using an emulated PC joystick for the knob instead of mouse?
I think many simulation games would be alot easier to play if that could be implemented somehow!

Gotta go rumage through the attic for more old games!

Beerman1138

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:33 pm »
Toto -- right click on the zerox86.ini link that gives you the text, and go to "Save As...."

The INI file is a text file, and web browsers will display text files rather than download them by default. 

toto

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:41 pm »
Thanks guys, I managed to make it work. I created the .ini with gedit. I ve been trying some games, it's awsome!

Gab1975

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2014, 03:16:20 pm »
- Battle Chess. Perfect! But...It's possible to set the mouse to DPAD? I hate the stick :P

I don't think it's possible to set the d-pad as "virtual mouse"... but I may be wrong!
In any case, I decreased  the mouse speed (I edited the zerox86.ini file) and it works pretty well ! ;)

hereunder the code added to the zerox86.ini file:

;
[chess]
MouseXScale=0.5   ; Mouse scaling factor, X direction
MouseYScale=0.5   ; Mouse scaling factor, Y direction

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »

I don't think it's possible to set the d-pad as "virtual mouse"... but I may be wrong!
In any case, I decreased  the mouse speed (I edited the zerox86.ini file) and it works pretty well ! ;)

hereunder the code added to the zerox86.ini file:

;
[chess]
MouseXScale=0.5   ; Mouse scaling factor, X direction
MouseYScale=0.5   ; Mouse scaling factor, Y direction

Yeah, I try this configuration too...it's playable, but I keep hating the stick ;D ;D

I found two bugs:

1. Many times, In my first start of zerox86, the emulator freezes when I enter in a folder. When I reset everything works fine. EDIT. It's not a freeze, only slow to enter :P

2. I'm playing Alone in the Dark (great classic game and works almost perfect). I'm very happy with the performance, but I found a boring sound bug. When this sounds plays:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBF1R_X5mOs" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBF1R_X5mOs</a>

The sound crash, and sometimes the error persists even when you exit of the game and return to DOS ::).

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:18:03 pm by TimeDevouncer »

Pate (OP)

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2014, 05:26:49 am »
Thanks for the feedback again!

I plan to continue working on zerox86 in a week or two, in the mean time I'll collect your comments and suggestions into my TODO list. :-)

Pate

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:34 am »
Thanks to you Pate ;)

Gab1975

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2014, 08:33:30 am »
I have a question/curiosity:
Do the "high res timers" need to be embedded in the Open Dingux kernel or can they be also implemented through the ZeroX86 software?

Gab1975

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
I'm thinking that a hypothetical second mode to exit from the emulator it could be to add a dedicated "key" in the virtual keyboard... hereunder a png to illustrate the idea:

zear

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »
I like that idea! Although what if the game is running at 320x240? Unless it's not a problem if the virtual keyboard overlay is displayed on SELECT key press even on full screen size games.

Gab1975

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2014, 05:57:58 pm »
In my example, to obtain the space for the "exit from emu" key, I deleted the keys "PrtS, Scrl and Pause"... I think that these keys are mostly unuseful for the emulation, however they could represent a "relative problem"...

surfi80

zerox86 released!
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »
thanks, a million and a half thanks jo jo jo ;) ;) ;)
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

AtariHERO

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 05:28:13 pm »
has anyone got Tempest 2000 working ?

Gab1975

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »
has anyone got Tempest 2000 working ?

For me it doesn't work... when I try to launch "tempest.exe" the emulator crashes and it comes back to the Gmenu2X !

Post a new topic
Post a new topic