• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: UAE4ALL Release 1  (Read 29995 times)

zear (OP)

UAE4ALL Release 1
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:44:29 am »

UAE4ALL is an Amiga 500 emulator based on UAE 0.8.22 core.

Version: Release 1
Download: http://www.gcw-zero.com/file.php?file=uae4all.opk
Source code: https://github.com/zear/uae4all

List of authors and contributors:
* UAE authors (see ./docs/CREDITS)
* Chui - original UAE4ALL author
* Nebuleon & Zear - GCW Zero port and improvements
* Hi-Ban - new UAE4ALL logo and minor graphical changes (Hi-Ban's contributions licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International)

Important note:
This version of the program is a *port* of the original emulator.
The authors of this port are NOT maintaining the emulation core.
For any issues related to the emulation performance, please contact the *original* UAE/UAE4ALL authors.

Before first use:
Provide a valid Amiga 500 Kickstart bootstrap firmware and copy it to the following location:
Code: [Select]
(FTP)/home/.uae4all/kick.romUAE4ALL will refuse to launch without this file present.

Launching programs:
UAE4ALL will work with disk images in "adf" and "adz" format.
1) Copy appropriate files to a location of your choice in the GCW Zero filesystem
2) Launch UAE4ALL emulator
3) Select "Load disk image" option
4) Choose "Load DF0 image" (Floppy Drive #1) or "Load DF1 image" (Floppy Drive #2) to load a disk image to the appropriate drive.
NOTE: Bootable disks need to be loaded to DF0.
5) Point the file selector to a directory location with the disk images and select the image you want to load.
NOTE: This directory location will be stored as a default directory for future UAE4ALL runs.
6) For bootable images, select "Start Amiga" or "Reset Amiga" to boot a new image. For non-bootable images, select "Return to Amiga" and follow instructions of the currently emulated program.
Adjusting the frame rate:
Setting the frameskip value to "auto" will limit the emulated program speed to 50 frames per second. Use this option for programs meant to be run on PAL Amiga machines. Most Amiga programs were designed for this frame rate.
Setting the frameskip value to "0" will limit the emulated program speed to 60 frames per second. Use this option for programs meant to be run on NTSC Amiga machines.

Controls (during emulation):
D-PAD/analog joystick - control amiga joystick (if mouse emulation turned off) / amiga mouse (if mouse emulation turned on)
A - joystick button #1
B - joystick button #2
Y - mouse button #1
X - mouse button #2
L - enable/disable mouse emulation
R - enable/disable on-screen-keyboard
START - super throttle
SELECT - emulator menu

Changelog:
2014.12.02 - Release 1
* add double buffering (Nebuleon)
* speed up saving compressed chunks in saved states (Nebuleon)
* multiple clean-ups to the original menu code (Nebuleon)
* shorten the code handling buttons for the main menu (Nebuleon)
* correct the type of variables initialised to string literals (Nebuleon)
* convert some uses of strlen() into tests for the null character (Nebuleon)
* build without -fsingle-precision-constant (Nebuleon)
* silence GCC warnings (Nebuleon)
* clean up C flags and use link-time optimizations (Nebuleon)
* introduce NO_DEFAULT_THROTTLE (Nebuleon)
* add selection flashing effect (Nebuleon)
* add $HOME support (Zear)
* render extra glyphs of the font (Zear)
* display full location of the missing kick.rom image (Zear)
* swap X and Y button captions in the menu (Zear)
* prevent from enabling mouse emulation and on-screen-keyboard screen at the same time (Zear)
* rewrite joystick deadzone/range logic (Zear)
* reduce the number of SDL_Delay() calls in the menu (Zear)
* add file/directory sorting (Zear)
* add file extension filter (Zear)
* add a new menu screen for handling disk image loading (Zear)
* hide selected menu items when emulation is not running (Zear)
* introduce a config file to store emulator options (Zear)
* increase the max allowed file name length and number of files per directory (Zear)
* scroll long file names (Zear)
* remove the unused SELECT button combo system from Dingoo A320 (Zear)
* add an option to enable/disable analog joystick usage (Zear)
* allow for mouse control with analog joystick if mouse emulation mode is enabled (Zear)
* replacement graphics for the splash screen, scrolling background, on-screen-keyboard logo and program icon (Hi-Ban)

Complete changelog available at:
https://github.com/zear/uae4all/commits/

Scoobysnaxx

Re: UAE4ALL Release 1
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 12:51:13 am »
Thank you so much! You just made a lot of people very happy!  :)

Gab1975

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:30 am »
Thanks a lot for this porting! :)
The emulation speed and quality seem very good... some games run a bit slow (like Turrican II), but the "throttle tweak" can easily solve the little issue...

I have a request/suggestion:
A ?multi" kickstart selection menu at the startup will be useful (obviously, if the software finds only one kick.rom, the ?kickstart selection menu? can be skipped).
Basically, for a complete OCS/ECS compatibility, three kickstarts are required, 1.2, 1.3 and 2.0?  for a proper identification they should be put in the work-dir (.uae4all) with different names: e.g. kick12.rom, kick13.rom and kick20.rom

EDIT: some game (rare) needs to "disconnect" the second floppy disk drive for a proper loading (e.g. the Adventures of Quik and Silva)... an option to enable/disable the second disk drive (DF1:) would be another good addition! :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:26:36 pm by Gab1975 »

sparkymark79

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:29 am »
Nice one thankyou very much. will be giving this a shot!

I know on Pandora they managed to get Harddisk support working with Tinylauncher. Is that something that could be accomplished in the future. Please don't take this as criticism, this is more than enough, I'm just wondering.

howie_k

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:57:16 am »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You have made my day!
It is my birthday today, so what a present!
All I wish for now is AGA/CD32 support (UAE4ALL 2.0), but this will keep me going!
I feel a session of the Great Giana Sisters coming on, as well of course the Turrican series :)

surfi80

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:32:48 am »
wow !! I did not expect this
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

AtariHERO

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:55:35 am »
at last , thank you so much

now just good A8 and Psx emus to go...

zear (OP)

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 12:45:10 pm »
To reply to some of the requests, let me quote my first post:
Important note:
This version of the program is a *port* of the original emulator.
The authors of this port are NOT maintaining the emulation core.
For any issues related to the emulation performance, please contact the *original* UAE/UAE4ALL authors.
Neither me nor Nebuleon are familiar with, or interested in fixing the UAE emulation core. This is simply recompilation of an existing emulator with fixes to the GUI.

some games run a bit slow (like Turrican II), but the "throttle tweak" can easily solve the little issue...
Are you sure this game wasn't just designed to run at 60fps? If that's the case, set the frameskip from "auto" to "0".

I have a request/suggestion:
A ?multi" kickstart selection menu at the startup will be useful (obviously, if the software finds only one kick.rom, the ?kickstart selection menu? can be skipped).
Basically, for a complete OCS/ECS compatibility, three kickstarts are required, 1.2, 1.3 and 2.0?  for a proper identification they should be put in the work-dir (.uae4all) with different names: e.g. kick12.rom, kick13.rom and kick20.rom
That's certainly doable, but as long as the choice of switching the kickstart is left out as a task for the user (so no magical autodetection based on the program you're trying to emulate).

Can you explain in "layman terms" what the support of custom kickstarts would bring? Higher compatibility with Amiga 500 software? Note that we have no prior experience with Amiga computers.

EDIT: some game (rare) needs to "disconnect" the second floppy disk drive for a proper loading (e.g. the Adventures of Quik and Silva)... an option to enable/disable the second disk drive (DF1:) would be another good addition! :)
That probably falls under emulation core issue, which we are not interested to mess with.

DPA09

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:14:47 pm »
Thank you!

Gab1975

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:51:04 pm »
Are you sure this game wasn't just designed to run at 60fps? If that's the case, set the frameskip from "auto" to "0".

Turrican II: I tried with frameskip to "0", but the video/audio don't run smoothly... the best choice is to leave "auto" frameskip and set the throttle to "40".

That's certainly doable, but as long as the choice of switching the kickstart is left out as a task for the user (so no magical autodetection based on the program you're trying to emulate).

Of course... the user could choice manually a different kickstart (if available) at the startup (before to enter in the main menu).

Can you explain in "layman terms" what the support of custom kickstarts would bring? Higher compatibility with Amiga 500 software? Note that we have no prior experience with Amiga computers.

Indeed, higher compatibility with Amiga software... I can give an example:
- After the War (1989)(Dinamic) and Blood Money (1989)(Psygnosis) work only with kickstarts 1.2 and 1.3;
- Bubble Dizzy (1992)(Codemasters) works only with kickstart 2.0.

*in few words, to assure a total software compatibility, three kickstarts are required: 1.2 - 1.3 - 2.0

PS: is there a way to set the Amiga hardware emulation from PAL to NTSC and vice versa?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:57:18 pm by Gab1975 »

zear (OP)

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:57 pm »
PS: is there a way to set the Amiga hardware emulation from PAL to NTSC and vice versa?
Nope. The original UAE4ALL was emulating only at 50fps, but we increased that to 60fps (on frameskip "0") while adding v-sync, which made it work also with NTSC titles at correct speeds.

Nebuleon

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »
at last , thank you so much

now just good A8 and Psx emus to go...
"at last, thank you so much; now, if you could just get to work on those two emulators I want, and are totally out of the scope of this thread, I'll finally be satisfied"

This thread is about UAE4ALL, an Amiga emulator. Please create other threads in /GCW Zero/Emulation to voice your desire for other emulators.

Gab1975

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 11:24:54 pm »
Nope. The original UAE4ALL was emulating only at 50fps, but we increased that to 60fps (on frameskip "0") while adding v-sync, which made it work also with NTSC titles at correct speeds.

This is just a reflection:
the difference between NTSC and PAL systems isn't only in the vertical refresh rate (59.96 Hz and 50 Hz), but also in the video resolutions (NTSC: 320x200px 640x200px - PAL: 320x256px 640x256px)... then set the frameskip to "0", it should not be convenient with the games/applications that use PAL resolutions (a "work overload").
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:37:17 pm by Gab1975 »

ker

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 08:36:07 am »
I just can say thank you very much!!!!! You are the best

DrChaos

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 09:50:40 am »

Yes, please count me in. I was waiting so long for an good Amiga port - I will start testing these days. perfect Christmas Gift, Thank you so much !

Edviner

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 10:19:06 am »

And including me, thank you!  ;D

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:58 am »
Great! Another good emulator for our Zeroes! ^^
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

DrChaos

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »
Before first use:
Provide a valid Amiga 500 Kickstart bootstrap firmware and copy it to the following location:
Code: [Select]
(FTP)/home/.uae4all/kick.romUAE4ALL will refuse to launch without this file present.

Sorry, this may be a dumb question, but I had a previous version of uae4all installed (rc3). I had trouble in overwriting the old version, but now I can see the new logo. Unfortunately nothing happens when I start UAE, so I assume something is wrong with my kick.rom directory (which is /media/home/.uae4all, isn't that correct?) or with some leftovers from rc3. I am pretty sure that my kickrom itself is OK, as it worked in the previous versions. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!

zear (OP)

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »
There is no previous version of UAE4ALL that we ever released - this is the first public version of this emulator.

Sounds like you obtained UAE4ALL from other sources (ie. tried to run Dingoo A320 build). This is something GCW Zero was not designed for and thus I cannot help you in this case.

I assume something is wrong with my kick.rom directory (which is /media/home/.uae4all, isn't that correct?)
This is the correct path. Make sure your kickstart file is called "kick.rom" (with lowercase). If that still doesn't work, then you must have a non-working dump of a kickstart.

Unfortunately nothing happens when I start UAE
Describe "nothing" in more details. OPK failes to launch and returns to gmenu2x? OPK freezes? OPK launches and you see the emulator frontend with a missing kick.rom message?

AtariHERO

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
First try it does not work.
after 1 reboot all is ok  ;)