• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: RogueBox Adventures  (Read 4061 times)

themightyglider (OP)

• RogueBox Adventures
RogueBox Adventures
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:53:58 pm »
It has been a while since I posted about my progress to port RBA on the GCW Zero. (Maybe some of you thought I already gave up.)
Now I can finally announce version 2.0.0 with an official port for the GCW Zero.
Please check out https://rogueboxadventures.tuxfamily.org for more information or visit https://themightyglider.itch.io/roguebox-adventures to download the opk.

Please, don't forget to tell me what you are thinking about this release.

Ryvan

Re: RogueBox Adventures
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
Pretty cool to have a release, but there are some frustrating things I've noticed  aside from regular difficulties due to not playing rogue-likes much...

Anyway, if you go into Options and try to change the game 'mode?' (semi-realtime and ?) on the Zero, the whole game just crashes. Presumably it's not a changeable setting (or at least not on the Zero), but I shouldn't be able to do anything, including selecting options and crash the game. Also, when you die and get to the 'You are dead' screen the buttons (A - Respawn, Start - Start Over) don't actually have any apparent effect at all. The music just keeps playing until it eventually resets to you, back where you were (the temple/holy ground in this case), without any of the items,etc you had before.

Additionally, the input scheme seems a little counter-intuitive in places. For example, when entering the character name you have the option to: select the next character, accept, reset. There is no way to go back and change a character, not even to delete the most recently entered one. That is exceedingly frustrating if you make even a single typo. Most games on console have a mechanism to handle these cases. Also, X - Inventory, Y - Magic Weapon?, A - Action, B - Build and the start button for cancel is a little weird in my opinion. It's not terrible, but the inventory option seems a little odd in terms of the other types of things you get from the Y, A, and B buttons. Why not Select? Did you consider using the L/R buttons for selecting the inventory categories or are they used for something else in there? The D-Pad is alright, but it seems like moving shifting panels off of the input you're using for up/down selection might be logically better, if less conserving of buttons.

gameblabla

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:50:35 pm »
Ok, so i gave it a try and i can't say i'm pleased...
Now of course, i won't comment on the graphics, because i had already done so in the dev thread.
(and it seems you still have not added the jrpg-style graphics)

The controls are confusing but at least it tells you what buttons does, that is,
until you are in-game.
In-Game, nothing is explained.
In fact, i don't think there is even a plot to this game.
When try to kill a monster, i quickly get killed.
How am i supposed to get new weapons ? or even equip them ?

Also, when i die, the game over screen screen becomes stuck for a while before i can continue.

So far, my impressions aren't great.

Also, maybe you should try compiling your game to bytecode but it is pretty slow during world generating.

themightyglider (OP)

• RogueBox Adventures
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:02:24 am »
Thanks for the input! Stuff like this helps me a lot.

Just let me summarize:

- a crash when choosing the game mode shouldn't happen. This must be a bug.
Edit: Okay, after a short investigation I got the error message from the GCW Zero:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./main.py", line 9186, in <module>
    main()
  File "./main.py", line 9130, in main
    master_loop = screen.render_main_menu()
  File "./main.py", line 376, in render_main_menu
    screen.render_options()
  File "./main.py", line 1959, in render_options
    save_options(game_options,options_path,os.sep)
  File "/mnt/RogueBox Adventures/LIB/util.py", line 57, in save_options
    f = open(name2, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/mnt/RogueBox Adventures/SAVE/options.data'
Looks like it is really some GCW-specific bug. I will fix it with the next release.

- confusing input is something that is easy to change

- make it possible to change the input sheme as player schould be possible as well but take a bit longer

- change the art style is a lot of work and I am no artist. I thought I could use something pre-done from oga but nothing I've found there really fits. So, as long nobody helps me doing a jrpg themed artset I have to keep the old style.

- I am aware of the long save/load/generation times on a slow device like the zero isn't possible without rewriting the game in a other language like c. I guess the problem you figured out with respawning has the same reason I will check this out.

- Of you complain about confusing game play that means to me the most important new feature for 2.1.0 will be a tutorial for new players.

Did I forgett something?

Thanks for testing my work once again.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:18:23 am by themightyglider »

themightyglider (OP)

• RogueBox Adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »
Right now I uploaded a new .opk that fixes at least the crash when changing a game option and improves the string_input screen (uses to enter a characters name).
I will try to fix the respawn bug as well soon.
Edit: I think I've found a way to speed up saving/loading at least a bit. I will add this to the next release. But please don't expact wonders. I guess it will still take something like 30 seconds to load or save a game... but thats at least less then one minute, so I guess it would be ok.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:50:49 pm by themightyglider »

themightyglider (OP)

• RogueBox Adventures
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:32:37 pm »
Today I've released v2.1.0 of Roguebox Adventures.
I noticed a little lag when I run the opk on the emulator. If this should occur on the real hardware as well I maybe have to remove some of the new UI features for the GCW Zero version. (Feedback would be helpfull.)
This version has a customized input for the CCW.
For version 2.2.0 I plan some big changes on how the gameworld is generated/saved/loaded which will increase the performance on slow devices like Rasperry Pi, GCW Zero, ect. rapidly, but this will take a bit more time. 

Post a new topic