• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: ReGBA, GBA emulator version 1.45.5 (hardware scaling)  (Read 164521 times)

SuperMarcoVer

Re: ReGBA, GBA emulator [alpha 1]
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:13 am »
I've been playing "Advance Wars 2 - Black Hole Rising" for hours now!
Works really well! Didn't spot anything that's not correct.

the_gama

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 01:43:07 pm »
Nebuleon, great work so far ;).  Will you work on porting CATSFC too?

Nebuleon

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 08:29:41 am »
Nebuleon, great work so far ;).  Will you work on porting CATSFC too?
CATSFC is itself a port of Snes9x - there are already some of those on the GCW Zero, but they may or may not be in the repository Surkow set up.

There are PocketSNES and snes9x4d. Look elsewhere on the forum for them.

Nebuleon

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 08:37:35 am »
ReGBA alpha 2, the "I suck at making frontends" edition, is now available.

Download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106475413/gcw-zero/regba-alpha-2.opk

In this version, there is still no menu, because I suck at making them from scratch, but:
  • Some games had a problem where the Game Boy beeper instruments and the digital music instruments would appear to become more and more desynchronised over time. This is now worked around.
  • You can now use the Analog Right direction to fast-forward, anywhere from 1.01x to 6x (or less if emulating your game needs lots of processor time).
  • You can now use the Analog Up direction to go full-screen and the Analog Down direction to see 1:1 GBA pixels. There is no border yet.

The last commit that went into this build is commit a111469: "DSTwo, GCW Zero: Raise volume to << 4 again. The problem in Metroid Fusion was not clipping; it was what commit f098a58 fixed."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:41:48 am by Nebuleon »

opt2not

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:04 am »
Dude, this is a huge update. Game throttling! Thank you so much!

Atlantis_Risen

Re: ReGBA, GBA emulator [alpha 2]
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:49 pm »
Thanks for adding the 1:1 pixel option, the screen looks great that way!

RupeeClock

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:07 am »
I finally got my GCW Zero a couple days ago now, and I'm loving ReGBA even in its early state.
It runs very well, I have noticed the occasional issue like misdrawn text in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, where text drawn at 2x scale might be missing a horizontal line.
Sound has improved with alpha 2, and I'm enjoying the 1:1 display option. I hope that you can include an aspect ratio upscaler though, something that doesn't skew the aspect ratio. The fast forward option is a great demonstration of how effective the GCW Zero is at emulating the GBA.

I hope you can include a way to remap the controls sometime, since the A button on my system is somewhat stiff, when pressing down B as well.
Can I also suggest an alternative keybind for exiting the application? Something that's quite unlikely to be done accidentally, like analogue nub left + X + Y.

Reds

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »
Well, I tried playing Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, which has an FMV at the start and at certain points in the game.

It made it about four seconds into the first FMV before everything turned rainbows and the game froze, the audio going nuts as well. Hopefully that'll be addressed in the final release, as it's an excellent game and the FMVs are likely to be the only issue with its emulation.

Nebuleon

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:23 pm »
Well, I tried playing Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, which has an FMV at the start and at certain points in the game.

It made it about four seconds into the first FMV before everything turned rainbows and the game froze, the audio going nuts as well. Hopefully that'll be addressed in the final release, as it's an excellent game and the FMVs are likely to be the only issue with its emulation.
If you want the final release to be in a decade, sure. So many games have so many issues that come from so wildly different emulation inaccuracies, all coming from gpSP-Exophase 0.9, and I have only weekends to myself. Perhaps you know of someone else who could help investigate and fix the game issues?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:26:04 pm by Nebuleon »

Reds

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 01:11:16 am »

If you want the final release to be in a decade, sure. So many games have so many issues that come from so wildly different emulation inaccuracies, all coming from gpSP-Exophase 0.9, and I have only weekends to myself. Perhaps you know of someone else who could help investigate and fix the game issues?

I'll seek out an alternative solution then, I had mistakenly assumed it was a general emulation problem that would be fixed without too much specific attention. Sorry about that.

Nebuleon

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2013, 03:20:10 am »

I'll seek out an alternative solution then, I had mistakenly assumed it was a general emulation problem that would be fixed without too much specific attention. Sorry about that.
Well, it may have been, so I don't blame you for asking, however in all the time I've spent -- 4 months when my weeks were made entirely of free time -- I managed to "fix" (as opposed to speed up) exactly 2 games that crashed, and the crashes were both caused by something that I changed while I made speedups. I would not count on changing anything to improve game compatibility as far as freezing on white or black screens, or emulation seeming to stop, or crashes, including the Classic NES games.

gpSP works well for the games for which it works well, and the rest crashes and burns because this is a performance emulator, which disregards accuracy almost every step of the way yet somehow manages to get a lot of games right. In a way, it's magic :)

opt2not

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:20 am »
I for one appreciate you spending your free time to work on this for us.
I've been really enjoying the latest release, with the throttle and screen resizing on-the-fly...so good!
Thank you Nebuleon!  ;D

alyinsanfran

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 04:27:05 am »
And I for two too!

I'm not big on Nintendo but have always liked the GBA and your work has opened my eyes to some titles I'd ignored.

Much appreciated.

Nebuleon

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 04:51:44 am »
Alpha 3 is almost ready. In it, I attempt to implement an automatic frameskipper, among other things. Since the codebase compiles with the Dingoo A320 OpenDingux toolchain (see /Dingoo A320 (Dingoo Linux)/ReGBA for OpenDingux), and it's almost impossible for the GCW Zero to absolutely need to skip a frame, I wish for Gaku Kano to test it first.

Nebuleon

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »
ReGBA alpha 3, the "optimisations are my strength" edition, is now available.

Download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106475413/gcw-zero/regba-alpha-3.opk

In this version, there is still no menu, but:
  • Fast-forward is now up to 6x real-time, having been optimised by skipping rendering of hidden frames and completely skipping unrendered audio samples.
  • The audio thread is now running with <1% CPU usage instead of 7-11%. I made it use 44100 Hz audio instead of 88200 Hz. This improves battery life and may help some games.
  • Unscaled images now have a border around them. The default is hi-ban's silver "ReGBA Advanced SP" border. You can override this using /boot/local/home/.gpsp/border.png.
  • The emulator now displays an FPS counter. You have no option to remove this yet. A menu will soon follow, but I don't know how soon. I did re-enable the text functions, though. The GNU Unifont is bundled into the emulator now. It is an 8x16 pixel font that will be more readable at the GCW Zero's resolution than the gpSP 6x10 pixel font.
  • A rudimentary frameskip implementation is present. You may find that it activates and gives 40-50 FPS for 2 seconds every once in a while in some parts of Golden Sun 2, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

The last commit that went into this build is commit a6576c5: "GCW Zero, Dingoo A320: Collect audio underrun statistics in the Stats structure.."

SuperMarcoVer

Re: ReGBA, GBA emulator [alpha 3]
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 06:27:17 am »
Thank you very much for all the work that goes into this project! I'm gonna try this out when i get back home.

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:20 am »
I'm having a weird problem in alpha 3 where the audio lowers by itself. I thought the audio dropped completely but I was able to turn it back up. It does it every couple of minutes.

Nebuleon

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 11:37:07 pm »
I'm having a weird problem in alpha 3 where the audio lowers by itself. I thought the audio dropped completely but I was able to turn it back up. It does it every couple of minutes.
Cannot reproduce. Make sure that you're not pressing Power + Dpad Down while playing, and that you don't have a scheduled job running on your Zero to reduce the volume every few minutes. It's also possible that, in some circumstances, a bug in the power switch daemon would consider Power raised every so often.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:17 pm »
and that you don't have a scheduled job running on your Zero to reduce the volume every few minutes.
LOL  ;D Why would he have that?
It's also possible that, in some circumstances, a bug in the power switch daemon would consider Power raised every so often.
No.

Nebuleon

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 01:38:44 am »
It's also possible that, in some circumstances, a bug in the power switch daemon would consider Power raised every so often.
No.
Never say never!

Post a new topic