Author Topic: ReGBA, GBA emulator version 1.45.5 (hardware scaling)  (Read 198489 times)

Nebuleon

Re: ReGBA, GBA emulator [alpha 1]
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 12:26:02 pm »
a) Will the final build be crisper?
b) Also, one small thing I noticed in golden sun.
I guess the layer is out of place. It's a flying carpet! :p
a) I don't understand what you mean here with a "crisp build"...
b) Mk. Be my guest, I don't understand video.c at all. It would take me months just to understand it, then more to modify it. It took me the better of 2 months to understand the CPU emulation core.

layers problems with these demo ( which is a good way for testing  emulator  ;D )

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30299
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24571
www.pouet.net DNS resolution failure

OptOutOfSociety

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »
I'm really liking this so far.

Kingdom hearts doesn't work however.

Seph817

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 02:17:20 pm »
Almost every time I start Golden Sun, I lose my saved game. The game is playing great, though.

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »
@Nebuleon: by crisp I meant the image quality. Of course native looks the most crisp and stretching the image won't be exactly the same I know.

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »
is there a filter of some kind applied to the image?  Personally, I prefer the original look of GBA graphics.

hi-ban

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »
No filter. The output image is scaled from 240x160 to 320x240. In other words, a fullscreen scaler.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:52:06 pm by hi-ban »

SuperMarcoVer

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 06:49:45 pm »
I made a video of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 with ReGBA. Runs really nice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5WQnm4EJ0k

Deagle275

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »
No filter. The output image is scaled from 240x160 to 320x240. In other words, a fullscreen scaler.

My eyes hurt with the scaled version :(

Awakened

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »

An option to scale up while keeping aspect ratio plus the ability to remap buttons are my most anticipated features. On the Zero, jump (A) should be mapped to B and attack (B) should be mapped to X, like how games on the SNES are mapped, so I can hold a charge and jump in Megaman Zero games properly. I do enjoy having fast forward available to skip through certain transitions and stuff too. Maybe those options will be in by the time I receive my system.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:40:00 pm by Awakened »

Nebuleon

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:42 pm »
I'm really liking this so far.

Kingdom hearts doesn't work however.
Ok.

Almost every time I start Golden Sun, I lose my saved game. The game is playing great, though.
Whoa... what?! Sorry, but I've tested this myself and it loads my save on every start. In-game saving should work already. However, please exit with the temporary hotkey, X+Y, and not Power+Select or shutting down the console in another way.

@Nebuleon: by crisp I meant the image quality. Of course native looks the most crisp and stretching the image won't be exactly the same I know.
I have the scaler enabled at all times because:
a) I have no menu (and you didn't read the first post, it states that an option to stop fullscreening is not there because of that)
b) I wish to test the software in the worst conditions possible in order to know what (else) to fix and optimise, and this includes tying up more CPU on the Zero because of scaling. And you see that it begat feedback as well: #28 by Awakened requests that the scaler preserve the aspect ratio as an option. :)

I made a video of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 with ReGBA. Runs really nice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5WQnm4EJ0k
Aww yea! Awesome! :D

Nebuleon

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:41 pm »
layers problems with these demo ( which is a good way for testing  emulator  ;D )

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30299
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24571
www.pouet.net resolves now, but still, layer stuff is in video.c - be my guest

Seph817

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:23 am »
Whoa... what?! Sorry, but I've tested this myself and it loads my save on every start. In-game saving should work already. However, please exit with the temporary hotkey, X+Y, and not Power+Select or shutting down the console in another way.

I have the newest Zero firmware and I use X+Y to exit every time. What could be wrong? Would it have anything to do with an old save in the .gpsp folder? Should I have deleted that folder before installing this?

Reds

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 12:27:17 pm »
One thing to keep in mind for the full release might be an image overlay to take care of the black box for the native resolution.

It's on the 3DS and Ohboy, it's amazing how tolerable the smaller screen size is when you simply have something covering up the empty space.

Nebuleon

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 12:41:27 pm »

I have the newest Zero firmware and I use X+Y to exit every time. What could be wrong? Would it have anything to do with an old save in the .gpsp folder? Should I have deleted that folder before installing this?
What size is your save? Is it from gpSP or one of its derivatives? (gpSP is very sensitive to save sizes, and Golden Sun's save must be 65536 bytes -- 64 KiB.)

Seph817

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »

What size is your save? Is it from gpSP or one of its derivatives? (gpSP is very sensitive to save sizes, and Golden Sun's save must be 65536 bytes -- 64 KiB.)

It was from gpsp. I think I've fixed it though. I deleted the .gpsp folder and opened ReGBA again creating a new folder. I then copied a Golden Sun save from my PC which is exactly 65536 bytes. It's working perfectly now! Save opens every time. It's also using the default Normatt bios now. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Thanks for your help.  :)

naxeras

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 01:05:27 pm »
Nebuleon good work, thank yoy for your explanation about why NES Classics not working in any emulator.

?It is possible patch stop loop?

What games skip frames in this emulator?

Regards

Nebuleon

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 12:27:21 am »
Nebuleon good work, [a)] thank yoy for your explanation about why NES Classics not working in any emulator.

[b)] ?It is possible patch stop loop?

[c)] What games skip frames in this emulator?

Regards
a) You're welcome. I guess a lot of emulators will have trouble with it, except maybe the very latest releases from the VBA Merge (VBA-M) project.

b) There are a few "prefetch patches" out there -- see this Google query, some links might be dead -- but I tested some myself and found them to be woefully inadequate. It is also possible that ReGBA is not fully able to execute code from VRAM (video RAM, GBA memory line 0x06) yet, but there is no way to test those except the Classic NES games! Hence the recommendation to use a NES emulator - there are likely multiple issues with the game, and fixing one would just endlessly lead to another.

c) So far in my own testing:
  • Payback. It runs at ~10 FPS and issues silence for the majority of its emulation time. This game may never work well.
  • Mario Golf. It runs at 60 FPS most of the time, but in some 3D scenes it will drop to 58-59 and you will hear a TINY audio underrun (silence). Implementing a frameskip of 0-or-1 should fix this game completely on the Zero, but on the Dingoo A320 with OpenDingux, a frameskipper of 0-to-3 may be needed.

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:16 am »
This is a great emulator, thanks Nebuleon! :)  I can't wait for future releases so I can kill the scaling effect.

Also, in my testing, Star Wars Flight of the Falcon doesn't run. 

Thanks again!

tacozmeister

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 03:55:45 am »
Just like to report my mileage with this, haven't messed with any configs or anything. Just barely tested anything.

OVERALL: So far, very impressed, and have found zero missed frames without turning on a counter or anything. I only played each game for about a minute, just to test them. I'll let you know if I have problems later on :] But as long as Pokemon runs, I'll be happy. Probably gonna get a lot of hate for that P:

Game-wise:
✓ Pokemon Emerald, Started. Saved. Loaded successfully. Didn't play longer than 3 minutes, so idk if I'll have problems later, but looks promising.
✓ Pokemon Lead Green, Started. Saved. Loaded successfully.
✖ Super Mario Advance 4/Super Mario Bros 3, freezes upon meeting the map screen
✓ Scooby Doo, the original, opened fine.
✓ Scooby Doo - Mystery Mayhem opened fine
✖ Scooby Doo - Unmasked, runs fine, but really weird graphical glitches. Sections of the screen are switched and there's a constant flashing starting at the beginning cutscene. Saw no end to it. Could be the rom, but not sure.
✓ Scooby Doo - Cyber Chase, opened fine and played fine.
✓ Scooby Doo 2 - Monsters Unleashed, opened and played fine (at least the tutorial part)

btnheazy03

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 07:40:41 am »
good work!

Post a new topic
Post a new topic