Author Topic: ReGBA, GBA emulator version 1.45.5 (hardware scaling)  (Read 206123 times)

Nebuleon

ReGBA, GBA emulator version 1.45.5 (hardware scaling)
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:37:15 am »
I would like to present ReGBA, a GBA emulator based ultimately on gpSP 0.9 by Exophase.

Download 1.45.5: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106475413/gcw-zero/regba-1.45.5.opk
Manual: http://wiki.gcw-zero.com/ReGBA (can also be read on the device using gmenu2x's show manual feature)
Source and issue tracker: https://github.com/Nebuleon/ReGBA

Lineage

gpSP 0.9, Exophase and others
  • gpSP Kai 3.2, Takka
    • NDSGBA 1.21 for DSTwo, Supercard Team
      • TempGBA 1.45 for DSTwo, Nebuleon, Normmatt, BassAceGold
        • ReGBA 1.45.5 for GCW Zero, Nebuleon, pcercuei, JohnnyonFlame

Features of the emulator

You can look at these features in the ReGBA Manual on your device. Press Select with ReGBA selected in gmenu2x, then choose "Show manual of ReGBA".

• Loading ROMs, both uncompressed and compressed in zip format.
  • Synchronised video. Optionally scaled to full screen, and optionally preserving the aspect ratio of the image, using two scalers.
  • Fast-forwarding.
  • Synchronised audio.
  • In-game saving and saved states (see below for more information about saved states).
  • Input from GCW Zero buttons and analog nub, fully remappable to the GBA. The emulator has a menu you can enter with a customisable hotkey (default is Y). You can use the menu to reset the game, exit to gmenu2x and set some settings. They are saved to a file, so you can use your favourite scaling, FPS counter, boot screen, remapping and hotkey settings all the time.
  • Per-game settings, so that you can use the same settings for most games but override them as needed. Press Select at the ReGBA Main Menu for the per-game settings.
  • Bundled game_config.txt for greater compatibility, as well as overrides in /boot/local/home/.gpsp/game_config.txt.
  • Bundled open-source GBA BIOS replacement by Normmatt, as well as the ability to drop the Nintendo GBA BIOS in /boot/local/home/.gpsp/gba_bios.bin.
  • A border when the GBA image is shown on the screen without scaling. You can override this border by putting one at /boot/local/home/.gpsp/border.png.
  • Automatic and manual frameskip.

Saved state file details

There are 100 saved state slots. The states are saved in /boot/local/home/.gpsp as files named like the ROM but the extension ".sNN", where NN is between 00 and 99. Each saved state is 506,963 bytes (495.1 KiB).

Users of TempGBA/DSTwo can use their saved states from TempGBA betas 6-15 and versions 1.43-1.45 in ReGBA/GCW0. It is the very same format.

Users of gpSP/PSP cannot use their saved states in ReGBA/GCW0. gpSP/PSP's saved states referenced locations in the PSP's RAM, and as such would have corrupted the GCW0's RAM or crashed ReGBA when loaded, if the format had stayed the same. Users of gpSP/PSP can save in-GBA on their PSP and transfer the SRAM file (.sav) via storage cards instead.

How is this different from gpSP 0.9 by Exophase?

It's different in that I made a lot of optimisations to the code translator, some of which Exophase had independently done but never released.

gpSP Kai 3.2 by Takka also fixed some games, notably the Final Fantasy games and some other Japanese games like Dragon Ball, and attempts to fix the timing of the CPU emulation (but fails).

A full list of optimisations performed in the DSTwo version, TempGBA, can be found on the first post of my thread at GBATemp.

ReGBA builds on these optimisations and attempts to factor out the core into a cross-platform source directory and per-platform port files.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:24:53 am by Nebuleon »

johnnyonflame

Re: ReGBA, GBA emulator [alpha 1]
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:43:43 am »
Holy batman, its here!

gustavolatil

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:42:49 am »
testin'
* banjo kazooie grunty's revenge auto resets after intro
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:59:40 am by gustavolatil »

Dolvak

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:21 am »
Runs awsome!

As you stated a menu would be amazing

two problems:

1. in banjo kazooie when starting a new game it restarts and the gba splash screen starts again.

2. I keep accidentally hitting the X + Y combo possibly think about changing it to start + select

Other then those things this thing runs amazing! way better then Gpsp. Thanks for the help

Nebuleon

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:49:30 am »
To both of you, which BIOS are you using? Normmatt's or Nintendo's? If you use Normmatt's, does Nintendo's allow the game to continue? (see the intro post to know where to put it)

davidonabus

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:04:45 am »
Excellent.  Flawlessly played everything I just threw its way (10 games or so)!

Gaku_Kano

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 07:58:19 am »
Runs great even on the A320, good work folks : ;D

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:30 am »
Any luck with the Famicom Mini/Classic NES Series games? Mine won't start.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:55:28 am »
Great thanks, So far Mario Golf has loaded fine with no sound issues

gpSP seemed to stutter crackle then crash when loading Mario Golf
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:57:01 am by 318197 »

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:02 pm »
Thank you all so much for this amazing emulator. Tried about several games so far with no problems.

You can never play too much Advance Wars  ;D

Edit: I tried Banjo kazooie with both GBA BIOS + Normmatt's and get kicked back to the gba splash screen after starting a new game

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:10:05 pm by Scoobysnaxx »

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »
Just in time, I'm getting a Zero tomorrow!  This is the #1 emulator I'm looking forward to... :)

Nebuleon

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 06:37:42 pm »
Did you just compile that yourself using the GCW Zero sources?

Any luck with the Famicom Mini/Classic NES Series games? Mine won't start.
Known issue, and known cause (at least to me). All of the games end up at a black screen because they use prefetching (a feature of the ARM processor) to detect emulators, which a recompiling emulator has no hope to get right. The games then go into a STOP loop.

Edit: Here's an image of the no$gba debugger showing the part in question:

The debugger is stopped on a STR (STORE) instruction which will modify the instruction 8 bytes later. The new instruction is E3A01000 (MOV R1, #$00). A real GBA would have already read ("prefetched") the instruction E3A010FF (MOV R1, #$FF) and would execute it; however, emulators that recompile code have a hard time with this construct, because they need to delay the flushing of their code buffer. Thus they execute E3A01000 and get stuck in a loop.

I have no hope of ever supporting the Famicom Mini/Classic NES Series games. Please use a port of a NES emulator for the GCW Zero and the ROMs for the originals.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:04:30 pm by Nebuleon »

SuperMarcoVer

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:35:11 pm »
Omg! Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 really works well!

Gaku_Kano

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:20 pm »
Did you just compile that yourself using the GCW Zero sources?
Yeah, I just compiled the sources with the A320 OD toolchain.

alyinsanfran

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 10:02:50 pm »
Omg! Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 really works well!

Seconded, the fact it runs TH so well (or at all!) indicates to me just how much potential this platform holds. Well done on this fantastic emulator!

RupeeClock

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:19 am »
Oh if only my GCW Zero had arrived yet, I can't wait to test this out. Even in just an alpha stage these seems promising.

Deagle275

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 12:18:46 am »
Oh if only my GCW Zero had arrived yet, I can't wait to test this out. Even in just an alpha stage these seems promising.
Heck yeah .

bigtuna

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 06:51:43 am »
Woot!  Can't wait to give this one a try.  Thanks for all your hard work!!

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 08:37:07 am »
Will the final build be crisper?
Also, one small thing I noticed in golden sun.
I guess the layer is out of place. It's a flying carpet! :p

doglush

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 10:53:54 am »
layers problems with these demo ( which is a good way for testing  emulator  ;D )

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30299
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24571
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:55:35 am by doglush »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic