Author Topic: pcsx4all 2.4 UPDATE 2017-01-05  (Read 62894 times)

Senor Quack

Re: pcsx4all 2.3
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2016, 10:16:39 am »
are *.cbn files smaller or faster then psx2psp *.pbp files?

Short answer: PBP is probably smaller on average, but not by a whole lot. CBN *might* be faster for some games, but not by a whole lot if at all.

Long answer:  As for size, .cbn files probably are larger than .pbp files, because .pbp files compress 16 sectors together instead of just one, resulting in more efficient compression.  Underneath, they both use the same compression algorithm (DEFLATE, same as what a ZIP file uses).  Neither format will be able to compress certain portions of a CD like FMV movies, as they are already stored compressed, nor will they do much to compress the XA audio tracks that many games use for speech/music, as they are already pretty compressed by the XA ADPCM format.  Neither format seems to compress CD audio tracks, either, possibly for performance reasons (too taxing on CPU).

As for speed, I'm not sure to be honest and I haven't done any comparisons. Any time a CD sector is read and it hasn't already been decompressed, a .pbp will require that all 16 sectors it is compressed together with be read and decompressed along with it, whereas a CD sector in a .cbn file will be read and decompressed solitarily.  So, depending on how a game accesses the CD, one could very well be less efficient than the other. A game that streams XA compressed music would be most likely to see a difference between the two formats.  I'd be interested to hear if one format is noticeably slower than the other for certain games.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:38:39 am by Senor Quack »

Qubits

« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2016, 12:34:15 pm »
The opk to download in the first post is still the UPDATE 2016-06-03 and not the last one as it should.

dmitry_smagin (OP)

« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2016, 04:00:53 pm »
The opk to download in the first post is still the UPDATE 2016-06-03 and not the last one as it should.
No, it's dated 2016-06-08, check if you have updated it correctly.
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

Qubits

« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2016, 04:38:07 pm »
No, it's dated 2016-06-08, check if you have updated it correctly.

I did, i removed pcsx4all.opk and removed the .pcsx4all from the /home folder and it still show the " Built on Jun 3 2016 at 08:46:33 ".

Qubits

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2016, 08:21:28 pm »
Thx to zear, i had to turn off the gcw so the new version can show up.

But...

There is a bug.

When i try to load a state on the game menu (before i press start) it load the state but double the screen as shown on the picture bellow. If i press start and wait that the first stage begin to load a state then it loads it correctly.

ruffnutts

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2016, 09:30:38 pm »
How could I direct boot straight into PCSX4ALL?

Rushy

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2016, 01:59:40 am »
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this amazing release!

Quickman

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2016, 03:28:58 am »

@Rushy agreed! Check out the Nintendo 64 emulation as well! Really exciting to have both on the zero now! Thanks to the awesome developers constant hard work :) !

Qubits

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2016, 10:24:10 am »

@Rushy agreed! Check out the Nintendo 64 emulation as well! Really exciting to have both on the zero now! Thanks to the awesome developers constant hard work :) !

Are you talking about Mupen64plus ? Its a really poor emulator, all games are suffering from frameskipping / glitches and many are not playable. Nothing comparable to pcsx4all.

Aeter

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2016, 02:00:30 pm »
Removed: Not the place to discuss this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:04:39 pm by Aeter »
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Qubits

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:13 pm »

Are you talking about Mupen64plus ? Its a really poor emulator, all games are suffering from frameskipping / glitches and many are not playable. Nothing comparable to pcsx4all.
Be happy it is even released, because it is what it is, a technical preview, so basically a proof of concept, from an awesome dev, who invested a lot of his spare time to make this possible.
Don't hate on things that you're not able to improve yourself and otherwise try fixing it, if it's that bad as you say.
Ask yourself this, "What have I contributed to this community?"
I know I haven't done much, so I'm happy with everything the devs have created for us, in their own spare time btw. So either contribute or be happy with what you have, and we have been given a lot by the devs already. Just take a look at the boatload of ports emulators and even standalone releases.
In short, show some more respect to the devs, as they are allowing you to play all these games, otherwise you'd be holding a really expensive brick in your hands.

You again, trying to teach me life ? you are funny guy. I have the right to express my opinion either its positive or negative on any subjects and if you dont like it, it's the same dude.

Aeter

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2016, 03:32:45 pm »
Removed: Not the place to discuss this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:04:23 pm by Aeter »
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Qubits

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2016, 03:41:45 pm »

Be happy it is even released, because it is what it is, a technical preview, so basically a proof of concept, from an awesome dev, who invested a lot of his spare time to make this possible.
Don't hate on things that you're not able to improve yourself and otherwise try fixing it, if it's that bad as you say.
Ask yourself this, "What have I contributed to this community?"
I know I haven't done much, so I'm happy with everything the devs have created for us, in their own spare time btw. So either contribute or be happy with what you have, and we have been given a lot by the devs already. Just take a look at the boatload of ports emulators and even standalone releases.
In short, show some more respect to the devs, as they are allowing you to play all these games, otherwise you'd be holding a really expensive brick in your hands.

You again, trying to teach me life ? you are funny guy. I have the right to express my opinion either its positive or negative on any subjects and if you dont like it, it's the same dude.
Is a little more respect too much to ask? Apparently it is.
You just care about winning the argument, of which there's none here.

If a mechanic repairs your car for free and throws in a free set of tires, do you still complain about a scratch on the hood cap? I'm inclined to say yes in your case.

A little more respect ? i remember that you were the first to insult me, saying i'm lazy, that i should go find the solution on google and other shit when i just got my gcw and was asking for some help so i dont think you understand what respect is. Now this is getting out of subject, and i dont have time to waste to educate you so please just ignore me. I have shared very positive comments and negative ones, i'm not living in a walt Disney movie, i express my feelings honnestly and objectively, i dont want to hurt anyone but when someone says " its great we have a N64 emulator ! " people should know its running just 5% of the games with a decent fps and they still have glitches, running slow (around 10 fps for most of the games), so there is no true N64 emulator yet for the gcw. I hope the developper will improve it in the future but for now its really poor and you cannot consider that the gcw can run N64 games which is the case for the ps1 games because pcsx4all is great.

Spaceman

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2016, 05:10:02 pm »
Can we knock it off please? This is how we lose people in the scene.
I think I speak for the rest of us here appreciate all contributions.
A little more maturity is needed

gameblabla

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2016, 06:32:44 pm »
I agree : there should not be drama over emulators, especially with the recent events...

Qubits

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »
Exactly, but this guy Aeter is looking for troubles and trying to teach everybody what should they say or do while he should just get a life.

Spaceman

« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2016, 08:01:13 pm »
Exactly, but this guy Aeter is looking for troubles and trying to teach everybody what should they say or do while he should just get a life.

I think he is taking umbrage to your use of the words "poor emulator" and reading the passage as a whole, not the words I would have chosen to describe someone's dedication to the scene.
Words are a powerful tool my friend.

Qubits

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2016, 08:04:28 pm »

I think he is taking umbrage to your use of the words "poor emulator" and reading the passage as a whole, not the words I would have chosen to describe someone's dedication to the scene.

No, he's been looking for troubles not just on me but more people, just look at his profile and past messages, he's trying to play the moderator and telling people what they should say or not, this dude has some mental problems.

Quickman

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:50 pm »

Hey guys, I have no idea how my words of thankfulness sparked this tangent.
   I'm just trying to give credit where it's due. All of the devs are amazing people and I'm very thankful that PlayStation and N 64 are now available for use on the GCW0.? Whether or not one is more superior was not my point.  When I  originally got my GCW zero, BOTH PlayStation and N64 were not even a thing. I'm only expressing my excitement that they are both now in fact existing for use on the GCW0. And I am elated with all of the incredibly hard work  as well as time that the developers have put into these projects making them come to life. Also, only with gratitude and thanks will we see any further development in any of these projects/emulators, so again I reiterate? Whether one is superior over the other,  thank you so much for your hard work? And I hope to see further development in these projects in the future. Thank you for the thriving community and getting stuff done that we all thought was possibly never going to happen. You guys are the best!

Final thought: @Qubits  while absolutely excited to have you aboard the community this past week or so, you must understand that most people here have been waiting for these emulators for over two years.  So to express our gratitude isnt "complementary"... It's true thankfulness with appreciation... Which is absolutely necessary to continue the community thriving. Being objective is great, and we need things to be tested/called out,  but what I said previously is also extremely necessary in order to see any of these projects come to light. Please just keep that in mind.   

Now please, back to the PSX :D !!!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:15:28 am by Quickman »

Spaceman

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »

No, he's been looking for troubles not just on me but more people, just look at his profile and past messages, he's trying to play the moderator and telling people what they should say or not, this dude has some mental problems.

Great
You're entitled to your views but can we keep them to yourself?

Post a new topic