• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: pcsx4all 2.4 UPDATE 2017-01-05  (Read 108401 times)

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: pcsx4all 2.4 UPDATE 2017-01-05
« Reply #320 on: October 05, 2019, 02:35:26 am »
I meant a successor device in that it's a GCW that people can actually get their hands on and thus has the chance of continuing or revitalising development on existing emulators if developers are interested. Being able to use every GCW emulator and port out of the box has always been a primary selling point for it. The GCW was and is fantastic but the limited availability has always been a problem.
Of course availability is important. But I think you will be sorely disappointed about the supposed increase rate of development the RG-350 will bring. The primary development force will be the groundwork laid by the GCW Zero software development scene. An example of a disappointment would be N64 emulation. People learning about N64 emulation being possible are already expecting massive performance gains for a project that took many iterations to come to fruition. Some projects have taken years to get to the point where they are now. This new device will bring new users. It will not result in an amazing increase in development. And no, GCW Zero software development has never stopped despite the hardware shortages.

eltehero

« Reply #321 on: October 05, 2019, 03:36:02 pm »

The RG-350 is not a potential GCW Zero successor. It's a competitor with the exact same hardware specifications. In my view it will absolutely not replace the software development scene of the GCW Zero.

It does not require programs to be ported as most of of the GCW Zero software apparently is compatible. As long as the GCW Zero keeps receiving updates firmware compatible competing devices will be able to benefit as well.

The GCW Zero is not available for sale anymore and has not been available for years, how can it be a competitor?

The RG350 competitors are GDK350 and the imminent Pocketgo 2

I think many users will not want the GCW Zero development replaced, just developed further and improved upon if possible.

I will be happy enough with playing the existing awesome software developed by the great dingoo A320/GCW Zero devs perfectly on a cloned device with better controls and build quality. Any further improvement is a bonus.

Surkow, the new GDK350 has a more powerful custom MIPS processor than the GCW Zero as we are led to believe. Would you call device that a potential GCW Zero successor?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:14:49 pm by eltehero »

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #322 on: October 06, 2019, 12:25:13 am »
Production of the GCW Zero is expensive due to the fact that it is produced in very small batches (this is the economy of scale we are talking about - larger production runs mean cheaper hardware). Offering devices for half the price in China in large numbers with pirated software, emulators, BIOS files and copyrighted game file assets is basically a guarantee that many users will not back a new production run of a more niche device like the GCW Zero. In that regard it is most certainly direct competition.

[...]

Surkow, the new GDK350 has a more powerful custom MIPS processor than the GCW Zero as we are led to believe. Would you call device that a potential GCW Zero successor?

The GKD350 appears to be promising a device with a great formfactor and a higher clocked CPU running at 1.5Ghz. Sadly enough it apparently lacks a dedicated GPU and only has access to 128MB RAM. It will be a great PSX emulation device, though! SDL1 based games that don't rely on a GPU will work great as well. I'm very optimistic about the device if it receives a lower pricepoint than the RG-350.

iball

« Reply #323 on: October 06, 2019, 03:03:08 am »
And no, GCW Zero software development has never stopped despite the hardware shortages.
But there hasn't been a firmware update for the GCW-Zero for the last 5 years?
Don't get me wrong I love my GCW0 but replacing a worn-out battery is a pain.
And I keep reading about these new fantastical updates to the firmware/kernel for it but not seeing where they've ever been released.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2019, 09:51:32 am »
And no, GCW Zero software development has never stopped despite the hardware shortages.
And I keep reading about these new fantastical updates to the firmware/kernel for it but not seeing where they've ever been released.
The current dev firmware adds nice things but critical things are removed too (like IPU support), so we can't really release it and expect everybody to be happy about it until these are implemented again.

Eliwood_san

« Reply #325 on: October 13, 2019, 01:49:42 am »
The current dev firmware adds nice things but critical things are removed too (like IPU support), so we can't really release it and expect everybody to be happy about it until these are implemented again.

The latest firmware of the GCW Zero was in the 2014,since then i didnt see any new development to the firmware or newer opks to the zero...Can you please post  about those developments you are talking about?Thank you for reading me and waiting for your reply.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #326 on: October 13, 2019, 10:40:45 pm »
The latest firmware of the GCW Zero was in the 2014,since then i didnt see any new development to the firmware or newer opks to the zero...Can you please post  about those developments you are talking about?Thank you for reading me and waiting for your reply.

https://github.com/OpenDingux/linux/commits/jz-5.3-gcw0
https://github.com/OpenDingux/buildroot/tree/opendingux
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:42:41 pm by pcercuei »

Eliwood_san

« Reply #327 on: June 17, 2020, 08:59:32 pm »
Noob question for the GCW Zero whats the best pcsx4all emulator? i see 3 version of this emulator with different authors: soarqin,gameblabla and tonyjih.

Im asking that noob question because the op thread the configuration of their pcsx4all its not saving very well in my GCW Zero retail,for example i want to use sony bios(schp1001.bin).Every restart im doing of the emulator use the HLE bios...i dont want that bios.

Post a new topic