• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: pcsx4all 2.4 UPDATE 2017-01-05  (Read 108173 times)

Senor Quack

Re: pcsx4all 2.4 UPDATE 2017-01-05
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2017, 02:34:16 am »
I disagree as far size is concerned :
even when compressed, the opk is around 284ko compared to 1.1Mb so it's almost 4 four times smaller.
But i agree that speed isn't going to be much affected, since it mostly relies on a dynarec anyways.

Thank you for answering my shit posting tho

Debug symbols shouldn't affect the runtime speed of a program, at least very very little. Only way it could slow things down is the increased size of the binary, but the binary should be mmap'd in and only the sections of the executable actually read and executed should be paged in from disk so I doubt that'd affect load time of binary either.  Or if the linker doesn't put all the symbols together so that they don't increase # of page faults when executing code. Perhaps Dmitry would find it a good idea to release the binary stripped, but yeah compiler flags will do very little I think you'll find, at least on MIPS platform :) They will likely only bloat the code even further than MIPS code already is, so less of it fits in L1 cache.

As for GCC6, I have tried a build using it not long ago, both with and without LTO, and found no measurable difference in performance, from brief tests. GCC6 also would eliminate ability to use MXU SIMD instructions, as the MXU patch set would need to be ported.

Only thing that will speed it up I think is if either the recompiler gets a 2nd or 3rd pass added to optimize the generated code (eliminating load stalls and dead code, peephole optimization).  That and optimization of software poly rendering, which will be a ton of work for probably a small 5-10% overall speedup if I had to guess. The first is beyond my area of expertise (would be Dmitry if anybody), the latter I already have routines for written on paper, but that's a long way from actual implementation. Another thing that'd help is if a future firmware update increases page size from 4KB to something larger, decreasing # of TLB misses.

I am in the middle of writing an MXU-optimized screen blitter and IPU HW scaling implementation. Using the HW scaler will actually slow things down for the vast majority of cases, as more needs to be rendered when downscaling, rather than just skipping pixels/lines that SW downscaler currently ignores. The MXU screen blitter will provide a small speed increase when using the existing SW scaler, but it will probably be unnoticeable, like 2%.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:37:15 am by Senor Quack »

AtariHERO

« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2017, 01:18:11 pm »
please fix motor toon , (corruption on later stages ) and raiden (no right status bar)

Senor Quack

« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2017, 01:31:06 pm »
please fix motor toon , (corruption on later stages ) and raiden (no right status bar)

Please provide a savestate file or memcard save file for Motor Toon and instructions how to reproduce and spot the problem, so we know what to fix and when we've fixed it. Also provide the exact name of the ISO file you are using (SCUSxxxxx, SLESxxxxx, etc).

For Raiden, I assume you are referring to 'Raiden Project', the port of arcade Raiden I/II.. I'll try to have that fixed when doing the new scaling work. For now, you can go into the game's settings and change the screen to 'Horizontal' mode, which actually is the best way to enjoy the game anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:08:22 pm by Senor Quack »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2017, 02:02:18 pm »
Another thing that'd help is if a future firmware update increases page size from 4KB to something larger, decreasing # of TLB misses.
A little follow-up on that, that's planned, but won't happen soon. Switching to 16 KiB pages gave a ~10% boost to PocketSNES, but breaks the GPU driver, so we can't use it yet.

tonyjih

« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2017, 10:40:19 am »
Can you add a option for using analog left & right for L2 & R2 like PSP ?
thank you.

SilentRunner

« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:18 am »
I would like to say thanks for all of the involved in creation of this, works really well. Thank you

Can anyone be of help I can't get Crash Team Racing to fully start it gets stuck at the all rights reserved screen with white text. I did have a read through and could see someone else was also having the same problem. Im not very experienced with emulation is there something I could be doing wrong or anyway I can try and fix this.

Many Thanks

Senor Quack

« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »
Can anyone be of help I can't get Crash Team Racing to fully start it gets stuck at the all rights reserved screen with white text.

It's known to work well. Are you using the NTSC USA version? If not, try that. It avoids a lot of copy protection issues PAL games had.
Also, did you install the scph1001.bin BIOS file in the folder /media/home/.pcsx4all/bios/  and enable it in the Core Settings menu? Don't use the built-in HLE emulated BIOS, as it has many compatibility issues.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:36:47 pm by Senor Quack »

SilentRunner

« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2017, 09:43:01 pm »
Hi Senor

Thanks for your prompt response Im using the NTSC version BUT I had HLE turned on I had set the bios file but did not realize you had to turn off the HLE setting also. Thanks so much for helping out a rookie its working now (: you have saved my bacon my gf loves crash team racing so Im giving my GCW Zero to her as a gift now she will be able to play it.

Is the analog stick able to be used? I can't see this mentioned anywhere.

I also don't get any sound on Metal Slug X (USA) after making the above changes.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:50:42 pm by SilentRunner »

Senor Quack

« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:34 pm »
Is the analog stick able to be used? I can't see this mentioned anywhere.

I also don't get any sound on Metal Slug X (USA) after making the above changes.

Analog stick support hasn't been implemented yet, but is planned

Metal Slug X works fine, but you won't get sound if you use the HLE emulated BIOS. Are you *sure* you have the regular BIOS enabled? It should say "HLE emulated BIOS   Off" in the core settings.  Maybe you exited the program without using the main menu so it didn't save the setting? Maybe you put scph1001.bin in the wrong folder?

Also, beware: if you have old savestates you made when you were using HLE emulated BIOS, they cannot be loaded when using regular BIOS, they are incompatible. It should provide a warning stating why it won't load, but I forgot to put it in. Just a heads up so you don't get confused. Always use the scph1001.bin BIOS!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:09:57 pm by Senor Quack »

SilentRunner

« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »
 I redid the settings again and now it is working strange but thanks (:

On "Ape Escape (USA)" the dpad only moves the camera angle I can't seem to move the character am I just doing something stupid?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:51:38 pm by SilentRunner »

Senor Quack

« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2017, 09:06:39 pm »
On "Ape Escape (USA)" the dpad only moves the camera angle I can't seem to move the character am I just doing something stupid?

I believe Ape Escape is one of the very few PS1 games that requires analog inputs, so no it's not supported yet. Not sure if it will really be fun to play even when support is added, as we only have one analog stick. I've never played it before, just going on memory here.

Swarmadd

« Reply #251 on: February 07, 2017, 06:59:28 pm »
Hello,

Just to say that I found a way to play the "Edge Master" mode in Soul Blade / Soul Edge !

In that game mode, it always freezed on the vs loading screen, because I was always trying to launch it directly from the book (when "press start" is blinking at bottom-right of the screen), don't do this !
Instead, go backward by pressing triangle (for example) to exit from the book then select "Battle" :  8)

com64

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2017, 04:37:23 am »

I believe Ape Escape is one of the very few PS1 games that requires analog inputs, so no it's not supported yet. Not sure if it will really be fun to play even when support is added, as we only have one analog stick. I've never played it before, just going on memory here.

The game is completely unplayable even with joystick support until USB gamepad support is added, as you need to use both joysticks at once, as well as the joystick tact switches.

The PSP port gets around this by greatly condensing and simplifying the controls, but I doubt that's possible here.

Jonosborne

« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:35 pm »
Hey guys!  This emulator works really great but most of the games suffer from a weird video quirk that looks like scan lines all across the screen.  Is there a setting that fixes this?  I am using the SCPH1001 BIOS.  Thanks!

Senor Quack

« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2017, 04:28:11 pm »
Hey guys!  This emulator works really great but most of the games suffer from a weird video quirk that looks like scan lines all across the screen.  Is there a setting that fixes this?  I am using the SCPH1001 BIOS.  Thanks!

It sounds like the 'Interlace' option in GPU Settings is turned on. You can use the 'Restore Defaults' menu option in GPU settings to get back to normal.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #255 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:27 pm »
hey everyone. Maybe this question has been asked before but I don't feel like researching the entire thread for it lol. Basically, for certain games like APE ESCAPE that require the use of the right analog stick... is there any kind of button combination that will allow the left stick to register as the right stick OR vice versa??

Just out of curiosity... also, are there any plans to implement the use of the analog for ps1 games on the Zero in the future?? Thanks!

;D

gameblabla

« Reply #256 on: March 06, 2017, 06:56:46 pm »
hey everyone. Maybe this question has been asked before but I don't feel like researching the entire thread for it lol. Basically, for certain games like APE ESCAPE that require the use of the right analog stick... is there any kind of button combination that will allow the left stick to register as the right stick OR vice versa??
Just out of curiosity... also, are there any plans to implement the use of the analog for ps1 games on the Zero in the future?? Thanks!
 ;D
Ape Escape needs both sticks to be playable so it's basically not playable on the GCW Zero.
(this was already discussed before, 1 page ago...)
In short, unless external USB joystick support is implemented, you will not be able to enjoy this game...
And NO kind of button combination will change this, face it !

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #257 on: March 06, 2017, 10:07:12 pm »
Ok @gameblabla ... i get it. Thanks.

Analog stick support hasn't been implemented yet, but is planned

thanks senor quack & everyone for their continued support on ps1... as an avid gamer & supporter of the community. Question:

Any idea or ETA as to when the left analog function will be supported? I am curious as their hasnt been an update to the emulator for a few months...

;)

Senor Quack

« Reply #258 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:14 pm »
Any idea or ETA as to when the left analog function will be supported? I am curious as their hasnt been an update to the emulator for a few months...

Yeah it's planned, it'll be soon. Right now, for me personally, I am in the middle of adding IPU scaling support, along with MXU SIMD acceleration to audio and rendering. The latter is a big project so it is taking a while.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2017, 02:40:33 am »
Yeah it's planned, it'll be soon. Right now, for me personally, I am in the middle of adding IPU scaling support, along with MXU SIMD acceleration to audio and rendering. The latter is a big project so it is taking a while.

Cool, thx for the update sir!