Author Topic: OhBoy  (Read 100171 times)

Qubits

Re: OhBoy
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:12 am »
I have noticed that the resolutions of the Gameboy / gbc & Gameboy advance games on the gcw is slighty minimized (smaller) compared to the original. Since the screen is actually bigger than the gb(c) / gba and the resolution higher, isnt there a way to have the true original resolution on the gcw in 164x140 pixels (as original size seen on a computer for exemple, not minimized for the gcw) for the gb(c) and 240x160 for the gba ? And if not would it be possible to have a scale that is closer to the original gb screen ? because the smaller one (1.55) in the OhBoy options is far from it.

Here's a picture that explains the problem better :
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:08:40 am by Qubits »

Nebuleon

« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2016, 01:32:34 am »
I now see that you posted this message to this thread as well as the ReGBA thread. Please refer to the ReGBA thread, reply #360noscope.
The Cloud is nice, but not if it decides to rain on your parade.

Qubits

« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
Yes, we should continue the conversation here since we are talking about the gb(c) in this particular exemple (but this " small " upscale mode is also for regba).

I've taken a look at the third picture you've posted ( kid-dracula-gcw-interpolation.png ) on my gcw. Would it be possible to have it in addition to the other scales available ? I think it looks better than the ones offered in the upscaler video settings : not too big, not too small, closer than what you can see on an original game boy.

Nebuleon

« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2016, 10:34:58 pm »
There are two camps here:

There's the "I prefer the original pixels" camp, which demands a crisp image at all costs. This camp can only be served by showing the original 160x144 image centered on the screen, because non-blurred upscaled 320x288 pixels doesn't fit in 320x240.

And then there's the "If it's going to be blurry, might as well use all the screen space offered by this console" camp, which is served very well by the full-screen scaler.

The first camp is going to be like "Why resize it at all, and get blur?". The second camp is going to be like "Why resize it only this little bit and waste the rest of the screen?". As a result, it'll be an option value that just requires another button press to skip, for everyone.

There are also many models of GB, GBC and GBA; should options be added for each model, just in case someone's preferred model is not the same?

edit: There are also magnifier add-ons that people used on their GB, GBC and GBA. Each of those has a different magnification factor, too, which could be yet another option! But you can simply pretend that the full-screen modes in GCW emulators allow you to get the true experience of using a magnifier add-on, without the fuss of an actual magnifier add-on ;D

In short: This is pointless.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:42:26 pm by Nebuleon »

Qubits

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2016, 01:26:59 am »
Would it be possible to have something between full screen and original size ? A picture that would be bigger than the no scale mode but not full screen and if possible in non blured mode ?

Nebuleon

« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2016, 02:59:28 am »
That's not how pixels work.

Qubits

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2016, 03:15:54 am »
For the non pixel mode, because its either you double it to have non blurred picture, you can only mutiply them by two ? What about having a blurred scale mode who will be between the non scale and full screen ? if it has to be blurred, the smaller it will be, the less you will notice it, so a blurred mode, slighty larger than the non scale mode would be a good choice, i think.

Qubits

« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2016, 03:33:35 am »
Like this.

Reds

« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2017, 12:15:47 pm »
I've been trying to create custom palettes for the GB, but I've run into a very strange problem, namely that the hex codes I'm putting into the .pal files are not the same colour in Ohboy as they are on my computer. I'll input a blue colour, and get a red one, and such. It makes inputting colours pretty much guesswork.

Why is that, and what should I be using to pick colours instead if that's the case?

com64

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2017, 12:47:01 pm »
I've been trying to create custom palettes for the GB, but I've run into a very strange problem, namely that the hex codes I'm putting into the .pal files are not the same colour in Ohboy as they are on my computer. I'll input a blue colour, and get a red one, and such. It makes inputting colours pretty much guesswork.

Why is that, and what should I be using to pick colours instead if that's the case?

Just swap the first two digits in your hexadecimal numbers with the last two.

I checked the pallette files in the original post, and it's in the BGR format, not RGB.

Reds

« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2017, 07:12:18 pm »

Just swap the first two digits in your hexadecimal numbers with the last two.

I checked the pallette files in the original post, and it's in the BGR format, not RGB.

Thanks.

hi-ban (OP)

« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2018, 12:47:53 am »
New version released.

Latest build: 20180224

Changes since last version:
- Added option to simulate the GB LDC ghosting
- Fixed minor menu bug

Download link in the first post.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:19:54 pm by hi-ban »

howie_k

« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2018, 05:53:06 pm »
Thanks hi-ban!

Edviner

« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2018, 08:02:02 pm »
Thank you hi-ban!!  :)

hi-ban (OP)

« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:43 pm »
The ghosting option is useful because some GB games used flickering sprites to make the GB LCD show more than 4 colors or/and semi-transparent graphics. If you have no ghosting you'll see a flickering mess, but with ghosting you see everything as it was meant to be seen.

Some examples of this are:

- Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge (you can see it at the first room of Cloud Castle)
- Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS (this one uses it a lot, you can see it everywhere in the 1st level)

daddylonglegs

« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2021, 04:29:37 pm »
Is there any way to get Super Gameboy colors and borders working with this?

Aeter

« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2021, 11:06:14 pm »
Is there any way to get Super Gameboy colors and borders working with this?
You probably want to use Gambatte instead: https://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-releases/gambatte-13651/
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Post a new topic