• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Mednafen-GCW0 - Multi-emulator (PC-FX, NGP, GB, NES, Lynx...)  (Read 6731 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Mednafen-GCW0 - Multi-emulator (PC-FX, NGP, GB, NES, Lynx...)
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:03:32 pm »
I'm officially releasing my Mednafen port, since i received no complaints and it no longer
suffers from usability issues.

Mednafen-GCW0 is a fork based on Mednafen and modified to suit the GCW0.
It is a suite of emulators that can emulate the NEC PC-FX,  PC-Engine, Neo Geo Pocket, Gameboy, NES, Lynx.

By default, controls are configured to suit the GCW0 but you can reconfigure them, should you want to do so.
Mednafen-GCW0 also supports IPU scaling by pressing Start+A.

Speed-wise, only PC-FX is running slowly but all the other systems work fulspeed.

Installation
Decompress the zip archive and put the OPK files in /media/data/apps.

For some system, a bios is required.
Here they are :

PC-FX : you need to put a bios called pcfx.rom (MD5 : 08e36edbea28a017f79f8d4f7ff9b6d7) in /usr/local/home/.mednafen
Lynx : it requires a bios called  lynxboot.img in /usr/local/home/.mednafen
PC-Engine : For CD games, you need a syscard file (syscard3.pce) in /usr/local/home/.mednafen

If you have to run isos, use the cue file instead.

Controls
Exit : Select + X
Switch screen modes : Start + A
Configure Controls : Select + B

Download link
Sauce repo

Mar8

Re: Mednafen-GCW0 - Multi-emulator (PC-FX, NGP, GB, NES, Lynx...)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:33:29 pm »
👍👍👍👍👍👍😳😃😱❗️ Thanks as always!

opt2not

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:29:55 am »
For Neo Geo Pocket emulation, I couldn't get a couple things working for me.

- Save states: How do I save and load save states?

- screen modes: when I first load it up, it looks like the scaled resolution is blurry. I tried switching modes with Start+A, but that seems to switch to the original resolution.

- Save files: where are they supposed to be stored?  I've got a save file from Race that I'd like to continue playing with (.ngf file) but I'm not sure where I should copy it to for Mednafen to read it?

The scaled aspect ratio is nice, it maximizes the vertical screen space, unlike Race that fills the entire screen making the pixels stretched.  But I just can't get it to not look blurry. Is there an option to fix this up?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:47:13 am by opt2not »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:18:13 am »
For now, it's automatic. If you exit the emulator (Select + X), it'll make a save state of the current game.
When you go back to the same game, it will load the save state.
There's no way to do it manually yet because i'm not sure if i should map it to buttons or something...
Is this good to you :
Select + L : Load state
Select + R : Save State

It doesn't help that Mednafen doesn't have a true menu and a slim codebase...

- Save files: where are they supposed to be stored?  I've got a save file from Race that I'd like to continue playing with (.ngf file) but I'm not sure where I should copy it to for Mednafen to read it?
They are stored /usr/local/home/.mednafen/mcs but that doesn't matter because Mednafen is not compatible with Race's save states.
There is also no way to convert them. Sorry

- screen modes: when I first load it up, it looks like the scaled resolution is blurry. I tried switching modes with Start+A, but that seems to switch to the original resolution.
The scaled aspect ratio is nice, it maximizes the vertical screen space, unlike Race that fills the entire screen making the pixels stretched.  But I just can't get it to not look blurry. Is there an option to fix this up?
That''s going to be little tricky, especially since our options are limited on the GCW-Zero...

The Neo Geo Pocket's resolution is 160x152. The GCW-Zero's resolution is 320x240.
Thus, it needs to be scaled to the gcw-zero's screen.
In the pict, i sticked with keeping the aspect ratio, because no one wants to have a FAT, UGLY SONIC !

If i choose to not apply a blurry filter (linear or bicubic),
the pixels will become non-uniform due to the differences in resolutions and not being multiples of 2.
This results in distortion. (like Race actually...)
To avoid this, a filter (linear or bilinear) is applied to the picture. Unfortunately, it makes everything blurry.

The only optimal way is to use a bigger resolution to minimize the losses in non-uniformity but with a screen of 320x240,
that is not an option... unless HDMI-out gets implemented of course lololololololo

I can do some things but magic isn't one of them.
Unless of course you like 2 screen then i'll see i can implement it for the Neo Geo Pocket... or not. D:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:25:26 am by gameblabla »

davidgilmour

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:24:35 pm »
Awesome  :)

zhongtiao1

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:44:32 pm »
Can the PC-FX emulation get any faster? Or is it already at its limit?

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

opt2not

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:37:09 pm »
Thanks for the thorough reply, gameblabla. Responses below:

For now, it's automatic. If you exit the emulator (Select + X), it'll make a save state of the current game.
When you go back to the same game, it will load the save state.
There's no way to do it manually yet because i'm not sure if i should map it to buttons or something...
Is this good to you :
Select + L : Load state
Select + R : Save State

It doesn't help that Mednafen doesn't have a true menu and a slim codebase...
Yeah I think that would work out fine. Good to know that it saves states on exit right now, I didn't know that. I have been using Power+Select to quit out of the emulator, so I guess I didn't give it a chance to write the save state.

But a button combination would probably be better.

They are stored /usr/local/home/.mednafen/mcs but that doesn't matter because Mednafen is not compatible with Race's save states.
There is also no way to convert them. Sorry
Oh darn. All my progress in Card Fighter Clash!  Oh well, I guess I'll just play that game in Race since I've acquired a lot of cards already, and start new games in Mednafen.

That''s going to be little tricky, especially since our options are limited on the GCW-Zero...

The Neo Geo Pocket's resolution is 160x152. The GCW-Zero's resolution is 320x240.
Thus, it needs to be scaled to the gcw-zero's screen.
In the pict, i sticked with keeping the aspect ratio, because no one wants to have a FAT, UGLY SONIC !

If i choose to not apply a blurry filter (linear or bicubic),
the pixels will become non-uniform due to the differences in resolutions and not being multiples of 2.
This results in distortion. (like Race actually...)
To avoid this, a filter (linear or bilinear) is applied to the picture. Unfortunately, it makes everything blurry.

The only optimal way is to use a bigger resolution to minimize the losses in non-uniformity but with a screen of 320x240,
that is not an option... unless HDMI-out gets implemented of course lololololololo

I can do some things but magic isn't one of them.
Unless of course you like 2 screen then i'll see i can implement it for the Neo Geo Pocket... or not. D:

Yeah this is what Race does when you put it in Fullscreen:

It looks like it's scaling to the vertical resolution, then stretching the horizontal to fill the screen completely. It's a bit hard to look at in that mode.

The other choice in Race is the original aspect ratio with an image border of a NGPC around the screen. Which is kinda cool, I guess, but that resolution in original aspect is so small!

Honestly, I think your Scaled non-interpolated would look better than Race's fullscreen stretching.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:38:42 pm by opt2not »

Reds

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:48:56 am »
Sorry if this has been answered in your development thread, what's the performance on PC-Engine/CD games in Mednafen compared to Temper? I'm curious to know which is the more effective emulator.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 01:16:33 am »
Can the PC-FX emulation get any faster? Or is it already at its limit?

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2
I wish too i could have faster PC-FX emulation but i'm already at my limits.
Mednafen is our only option and i already did my best to remove things and make it faster. No dice
I had not tried using an older version but even then, it won't be that much faster.

Sorry if this has been answered in your development thread, what's the performance on PC-Engine/CD games in Mednafen compared to Temper? I'm curious to know which is the more effective emulator.
It's good but not perfect. Someone reported some stuttering in some games.
My version of temper is fullspeed tho, with no tearing.
In general, Temper is better for PC-Engine emulation.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-development/(beta)-temper-nec-pc-engine-emulator/

Honestly, I think your Scaled non-interpolated would look better than Race's fullscreen stretching.
Okay, i'll have to look at implementing this once i get my upgraded rig but no promise.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:19:34 am by gameblabla »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic