normally I try to make some kind of rolling updates for my games, so that you sometimes even get an update per hour if I work constantly on a game.
However with my Prototype of Hase I ran into three problems
- Some people didn't get, that it was meant as a prototype and that every release placed value on a specific fact. The first release was about the gravitation calculation, the second about networking. So they started criticizing some misbehavior, which exists, but was not the goal of the release...[/*]
- Secondly some people here and in the open pandora board didn't get, that the goal of the project was to make a (gravity based) Worms clone. So in Worms you have teams, different weapons and stuff like that. Instead they made some suggestions about game play changes, that didn't work at all for Worms and make in fact a totally different game. Often even the idea of gravitation physics didn't have anything to do with the game ideas...[/*]
- Thirdly some people made suggestions, but never tested the actual game.[/*]
So I spend the last weeks to make maaaany improvements for Hase and decided to cut the "Prototype" as pretty much nobody sees as difference between a Prototype and a released game. Maybe it was a bad idea to already release the prototype to the repository. However giving a Prototype such a bad rating is not very nice. :\ So with today Hase is no prototype anymore.
To avoid, that people still make suggestions, that doesn't fit in a Worms like game I implemented the very important basics of Worms, so now you have
- Teams with different hares,[/*]
- a global health bar for every team and[/*]
- different weapons[/*]
In fact you have only 6 different weapons and you will be quite disappointed about the repertory, but you will get the idea.
I did one little change in comparison to worms. Weapons will consume weapon points. Every turn you have 3 weapon points and depending on the power of your weapon it will use 1,2 or 3 weapon points. These are the 6 weapons I implemented for now
- Classic carrot bazooka as you already know. Costs 3 WP[/*]
- Smaller carrot bazooka, with the same flight properties, but a smaller detonation hole and lower damage. Costs 2 WP[/*]
- Smallest carrot bazooka, with the same flight properties, but the smallest detonation hole and lowest damage. Costs 1 WP[/*]
- Build tool. You can build a circle everywhere if you want! Of course this new circle has gravitation as well! Costs 2 WP[/*]
- Choosing the next hare in the team. Costs 1 WP[/*]
- Choosing the previous hare in the team. Costs 1 WP[/*]
With this you could e.g. first try to hit an enemy with the smallest bazooka and if you hit, you send a second bigger one after it. Of course the damage is a LITTLE bit less than sending the biggest bazooka in the first place. Or you hit an enemy with a very weak weapon, but afterwards hides behind self build environment. Or you choose the previous hare, because he was quite near to a nearly death enemy and it is easier to change the hare than to jump to the enemy somehow.
Also I made the aiming harder. It was to easy in the last version, especially if you used full power. Now you have to trust your feeling, but afterwards you will see the trace of the bullet.
A big problem was the main window, which was made for networking games, but was quite unhandy for creating a local game. So I have a main menu now for creating a local game or joining or creating a network game. Furthermore there is a little help (not very helpful atm) and an about window.
For that I made a new approach for the "windows" inside the games with feedback functions and stuff. Made a bit work, but you will see no real difference. However I had to tell you, that this made a lot of work. ^^
I also changed the controls. (A) is now used for "OK" in menus and jumping in game. (B) is used for "Cancel" in menus and shooting ingame. You will adjust the power of the weapon (or the distance of the built circle) now with the shoulder buttons. For zooming you have to hold pressed (Y) and press the shoulder buttons. Furthermore the zoom "locks" in. Also you can watch around now with the D-Pad if (Y) is pressed, which may be quite handy. With (X) you select your weapon.
On the visualization front I added a particle effect, made a new health bar and improved the font for the GCW.
Here is a video of the recent version:
Download as always here:http://ziz.gp2x.de/hase/hase.opk