• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: gngeo port (neogeo emulator)  (Read 64570 times)

pepone (OP)

gngeo port (neogeo emulator)
« on: August 31, 2013, 02:02:53 pm »
Hello

I've done a quick port of gngeo, my neogeo emulator. It run surprisingly well without any optimization at all. I didn't test it very much, so please report any issue here.
Use Start+Select to quit, Select to insert coin and Start to start. You need a neogeo bios (neogeo.zip) inside your rom folder.

Opk available here
http://code.google.com/p/gngeo/downloads/list

The compatibility list can be found here, you must look at the gen68K column (pink mean it's not tested, might work or not)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuNKTLRzlFiKdGg5TnQteU9tb2NTUVF6d1c2dHdDRmc&usp=sharing&authkey=CKL2moEK

PS: It can be a little complicated to found a good romset for gngeo, but roms that work with fba shoud be ok.

Edit:
Thanks to Yoshi41, here is a .dat file for gngeo. It can be useful :)

Here's the DAT file with corresponding test results for the Pandora version 0.8.4.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydEFaUlZzMW5rc3Q2UWlnYXhlaFNRSVE

Should be the same for the GCW0.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:31:42 pm by pepone »

fosamax

Re: gngeo port (neogeo emulator)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:12:16 pm »
Nice work !

Hopefully I could try it soon (need to get my zero first...)

GhostWarrior

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:19:50 pm »
PS: It can be a little complicated to found a good romset for gngeo, but roms that work with fba shoud be ok.

That seems to be an understatement.  No matter what I try, I keep getting an error saying, "Mabe the romset you're using is too old."  I'm starting to think this emulator is from the future since everything is too old.

fosamax

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 05:03:07 pm »
Maybe searching for Caanoo GnGeo 0.7 ROM Pack but i can't tell for sure.  :-*

pepone (OP)

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:07:29 pm »
I forgot to say, this is a port of gngeo 0.8, which is really different from gngeo 0.7

gngeo 0.7 is really outdated, and the romset used for it will not work with gngeo 0.8

You need a romset made for a moderately recent mame version, or as I said, fba.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »

That seems to be an understatement.  No matter what I try, I keep getting an error saying, "Mabe the romset you're using is too old."  I'm starting to think this emulator is from the future since everything is too old.

Same issue, Unless i'm putting roms/opk's/BIOS etc in the wrong folder's.

Ok 2nd attempt got stuck on decrypting then crashed back to emulator screen
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:20:06 pm by 318197 »

pepone (OP)

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:17:11 pm »

Maybe a wrong bios. Could you paste the content of you neogeo.zip, with CRC32 for each file (it's easy under linux, don't know how you can do it on win)? Can you do the same with the rom you try?

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:29:09 pm »

Maybe a wrong bios. Could you paste the content of you neogeo.zip, with CRC32 for each file (it's easy under linux, don't know how you can do it on win)? Can you do the same with the rom you try?

Not sure if this is what you mean, these are the files within the zip... sorry i am kind of new to all this, i have only ever used Caanoo and played roms on PC

sm1.sm1
sp-j2.rom
usa_2slt.bin
000-lo.lo
sp1.jipan.1024
sp-s.sp1
vs-bios.rom
asia-s3.rom
sfix.sfx
sp-e.sp1
sp-s2sp1

Hylian

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »
So far it has played a good chunk of the games I have tried on it. I do like the fact that I can load a new game without exiting out of the emulator but FBA can play more games n general. That being said I think I will still keep gngeo installed for the moment so I can play a few games that FBA doesn't play correctly.

hi-ban

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 05:46:33 pm »
So far it has played a good chunk of the games I have tried on it. I do like the fact that I can load a new game without exiting out of the emulator but FBA can play more games n general. That being said I think I will still keep gngeo installed for the moment so I can play a few games that FBA doesn't play correctly.

Which games does FBA not play correctly?

Hylian

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »

Which games does FBA not play correctly?

The only one I have found so far is Garou - Mark of the Wolves. With FBA it starts to load up but than just crashes (and I have tried multiple versions) but with gngeo it plays just fine. There may be some other games but so far that is the only one that I have found that FBA doesn't play but gngeo does play. (and I am using the smae neogeo bios zip for both emulators)

Juan

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 06:08:58 pm »
Good release, gngeo is a lovely neogeo emulator ;)

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 06:13:03 pm »
Ok think it was the game that was not loading correctly, tried king of fighters 2002 loads with sound during menu & options but no sound during actual game play.

hi-ban

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »
i have kof2002 and kof2003 and they run without issues in FBA.
However, the Kof2003 version which works in FBA is "kf2k3bla.zip" (bootleg set 2)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:28:43 pm by hi-ban »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 06:31:59 pm »
Nice, many thanks for the release! I'll test it ASAP.

hi-ban

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
Just tested Neo Turf Masters and Super Sidekicks 3. Both have graphic bugs.

EDIT: graphic bugs are fixed when enabling raster effects.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:57:30 pm by hi-ban »

GhostWarrior

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 03:16:39 am »
Well, I did finally get it working and so far it works great.  The error about the romset being too old was misleading.  The problem was partially fixed by moving everything to the /data/local/home/.gngeo directory.  Once I did that, I started getting a different error dealing with the bios.  So same roms, but different directory and different bios and now it works.

yoshi41

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 09:35:41 am »
Thanks Pepone.  8)

Here's the DAT file with corresponding test results for the Pandora version 0.8.4.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydEFaUlZzMW5rc3Q2UWlnYXhlaFNRSVE

Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

pepone (OP)

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »
Thanks Pepone.  8)

Thanks Yoshi! Very good work, especially the .dat
The result is almost the same between the pandora and the gcw0, but since there is some bug in the 68K core used by gngeo on the gcw, there is still some difference (viewpoint dont work for example :( )

I'll edit the first post and add your link to it, if you don't mind of course :)

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 01:40:13 pm »
What 68k core does it use? FAME?

Post a new topic