• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Daphne (Laserdisc Emulator)  (Read 30900 times)

David Knight (OP)

Daphne (Laserdisc Emulator)
« on: May 10, 2015, 12:56:53 am »

Daphne is an emulator which plays classic arcade laserdisc games from the 1980's. Probably the most famous of which was Dragons Lair. Original author Matt Ownby. Thanks to Xaijiqq for testing.

http://www.daphne-emu.com

This port uses a much faster rendering method in order to allow the games to run at full speed. This causes occasional flickering of text on a few intro screens but doesn't affect gameplay.

In order to get the roms to run you will need to convert the video files (.m2v) I have included a comprehensive guide on how to do this in the manual accessible from the gmenu. Please read and confirm you have followed the below instructions before posting that you can't get a game to work. Untested games are Space ace, dragons lair 2, firefox, star rider/blazer and singe. All other games are confirmed as working at least as far as level 1. If you get any of the untested games working please post instructions!

Controls
--------
D-Pad: Directions
A: Button 1
B: Button 2
X: Button 3
Y: Tilt/Swap vertical controls (for flight sims)
L: Insert coin (player 1)
R: Pause
SELECT: Quit emulator
START: Start game (you must have inserted a coin first)

How to run games
----------------

Daphne does not come with any built-in games so you are going to have to find them.
The first place I'd suggest looking is on the daphne homepage as you may find some useful links there ;).

To use Daphne you are going to need four files:
gamename.zip (zipped rom file)
gamename.txt (frame file)
gamename.ogg (audio file)
gamename.m2v (video file)
You will also probably have a gamename.dat file but you won't be needing that so DON'T copy this file across to your gcw0.

Once you have the above files, you will need to convert the video file to the correct resolution. A converted video is typically around 200MB.
An unconverted video will create the wrong .dat file, cause a greenscreen and major slowdowns.
If you accidentally run Daphne before converting the .m2v file you will need to delete the .dat file and start again.

Place all four files into the same directory (eg $HOME/daphne/bega/)
Run Daphne. Press "Y" to create a new dat file (takes around 15 seconds)
The game will now start.

If you get any problems check the log file in $HOME/.daphne/daphne_log.txt

How to convert the .m2v file
----------------------------

Probably the easiest method using Windows is to use ffmpeg, available here:
www.ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and download the latest static build.

Once unpacked, place the .m2v file you want to convert into the "bin" directory.
Then run "ff-prompt.bat". A command-line will pop-up.

Now type the following depending on which game you are playing:
Code: [Select]
Space Ace
ffmpeg -i ace.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 ace.mpg
ffmpeg -i ace.mpg -vcodec copy -an ace.m2v
(currently untested)

Astron Belt
ffmpeg -i astron.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 astron.mpg
ffmpeg -i astron.mpg -vcodec copy -an astron.m2v

Badlands
ffmpeg -i badlands.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 badlands.mpg
ffmpeg -i badlands.mpg -vcodec copy -an badlands.m2v

Bega's Battle
ffmpeg -i bega.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 bega.mpg
ffmpeg -i bega.mpg -vcodec copy -an bega.m2v

Star Blazer
ffmpeg -i blazer.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 blazer.mpg
ffmpeg -i blazer.mpg -vcodec copy -an blazer.m2v
(Currently untested)

Cliff Hanger
ffmpeg -i cliff.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 cliff.mpg
ffmpeg -i cliff.mpg -vcodec copy -an cliff.m2v

Cobra Command
ffmpeg -i cobra.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 cobra.mpg
ffmpeg -i cobra.mpg -vcodec copy -an cobra.m2v

Dragon's Lair
ffmpeg -i lair.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 lair.mpg
ffmpeg -i lair.mpg -vcodec copy -an lair.m2v

Esh's Aurunmilla
ffmpeg -i esh.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 esh.mpg
ffmpeg -i esh.mpg -vcodec copy -an esh.m2v

Galaxy Ranger
ffmpeg -i galaxy.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 galaxy.mpg
ffmpeg -i galaxy.mpg -vcodec copy -an galaxy.m2v
(Galaxy ranger also requires the astron bios files. If you get ROM errors then unzip the astron rom and place all files into "galaxy.zip".
The files then need to be renamed to galaxy.zip, galaxy.txt, galaxyr.ogg and galaxyr.m2v)

GP World
ffmpeg -i gpworld.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 gpworld.mpg
ffmpeg -i gpworld.mpg -vcodec copy -an gpworld.m2v

Interstellar
ffmpeg -i interstellar.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 interstellar.mpg
ffmpeg -i interstellar.mpg -vcodec copy -an interstellar.m2v

Dragon's Lair 2
ffmpeg -i lair2.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 lair2.mpg
ffmpeg -i lair2.mpg -vcodec copy -an lair2.m2v
(There are multiple versions of this romset. If you get crash errors then try renaming the .zip and .txt files to one of the following:
lair2.zip, lair2_319_euro.zip, lair2_319_span.zip, lair2_318.zip, lair2_316_euro.zip, lair2_315.zip,
lair2_314.zip, lair2_300.zip, lair2_211.zip)

M.A.C.H. 3
ffmpeg -i mach3.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 mach3.mpg
ffmpeg -i mach3.mpg -vcodec copy -an mach3.m2v

Road Blaster
ffmpeg -i roadblaster.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 roadblaster.mpg
ffmpeg -i roadblaster.mpg -vcodec copy -an roadblaster.m2v
(in my version I also had to rename the files to rb.ogg, rb.m2v, roadblaster.txt and roadblaster.zip)

Super Don Quix-ote
ffmpeg -i superd.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 superd.mpg
ffmpeg -i superd.mpg -vcodec copy -an superd.m2v

Thayer's Quest
ffmpeg -i tq.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 tq.mpg
ffmpeg -i tq.mpg -vcodec copy -an tq.m2v

Us vs Them
ffmpeg -i uvt.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 256x240 uvt.mpg
ffmpeg -i uvt.mpg -vcodec copy -an uvt.m2v

Source code:
https://github.com/DavidKnight247/Daphne

Opk:
UPDATE 2015/05/13
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYi4RGX-HSaYVN2RXVHdHlCUEU/view?usp=sharing
I have removed copyright assets from the opk. This means that sound effects will not work as these were sampled from the original games. If you wish to add them follow the instructions below which are also reprinted in the manual.
Sound files can be obtained from a regular pc installation of Daphne. Copy all files from the sound folder and place them in the $HOME/.daphne/sound folder. All games should play fine without sounds of course but I recommend you use them as they add atmosphere to the games.

Have fun :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:58:39 am by David Knight »

Xaijiqq

Re: Daphne (Laserdisc Emulator)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 01:58:44 am »
"Space Ace
ffmpeg -i ace.m2v -b:v 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -filter:v yadif -s 320x240 ace.mpg
ffmpeg -i ace.mpg -vcodec copy -an ace.m2v
(currently untested)"

space ace works :)

incredible release!  ;) congratulations on the port i'll never grow tired of this

AskaLangly

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:18:39 am »
I wonder if this does straight LD videos...

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:42:45 am »
I wonder if this does straight LD videos...

No, just the games. Convert you laserdisc videos and use FFplay.

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »
UPDATE
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYi4RGX-HSaSFo2UlFSaDVjcU0/view?usp=sharing

I have removed copyright assets from the opk. This means that sound effects will not work as these were sampled from the original games. If you wish to add them follow the instructions below which are also reprinted in the manual.
Sound files can be obtained from a regular pc installation of Daphne. Copy all files from the sound folder and place them in the $HOME/.daphne/sound folder. All games should play fine without sounds of course but I recommend you use them as they add atmosphere to the games.

Bender

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:14:51 am »
Thanks so much!!!!
I've been hoping for this since the announcement of the GCW
I have a very specific project in mind and this piece of software is the last piece missing
can't wait to try it out this weekend

Cheers Mr. Knight!

Bender

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:51:46 pm »
It's been a few years since I've set up daphne on a PC, but I remember there being multiple Mpeg files.
I own the Digital Leisure DVD set of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and DLII, and ripped them right from there, but when I look in my folders I have many files of each: .txt, .m2v, .ogg, not just one of each.

any advice on how to convert these to use with Daphne for the GZW0 would be much appreciated

Thanks!

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:55:31 pm »
It's been a few years since I've set up daphne on a PC, but I remember there being multiple Mpeg files.
I own the Digital Leisure DVD set of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and DLII, and ripped them right from there, but when I look in my folders I have many files of each: .txt, .m2v, .ogg, not just one of each.

any advice on how to convert these to use with Daphne for the GZW0 would be much appreciated

Thanks!

See here. Basically install the Daphne-loader onto a pc then insert your DVD when prompted. It will then download the compatible versions of DL1/2 and Space Ace. DL1 and Space Ace are confirmed working. Let me know how you get on with DL2.

Bender

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:17:47 am »
David Knight

Thanks so much for the quick response!
I'll borrow a PC and try it out

Elaphe

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 03:42:55 pm »
How much space does Dragon's Lair take? I'm a bit short of room with the internal storage.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 07:24:24 pm »
How much space does Dragon's Lair take? I'm a bit short of room with the internal storage.
for me after converting the video file the total space it takes is 486MB.  before converting came out to 878MB

Bender

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 03:20:11 pm »
Anybody get Dragon's Lair II running?

I got Space Ace and Dragon's lair to work but no luck with Dragon's Lair II
Daphne loader leaves me with mutliple files of the .m2v and .ogg maybe we have to resize All of the .m2v files
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:22:09 pm by Bender »

Elaphe

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:26:09 pm »
Can I have Dragon's Lair with indicators? I'd like my kids to enjoy it so they need it easier.

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 07:12:11 pm »
Anybody get Dragon's Lair II running?

I got Space Ace and Dragon's lair to work but no luck with Dragon's Lair II
Daphne loader leaves me with mutliple files of the .m2v and .ogg maybe we have to resize All of the .m2v files

I haven't tested Dragons Lair 2 but there's no reason why it should not work. You do need to resize all the .m2v files as per the documentation.

If it doesn't work post the contents of the log at $HOME/.daphne/daphne_log.txt and we'll go from there.

guydebored

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 11:51:38 am »
Hi there,

noob issue:

I've followed all the steps suggested so far, but when I try to convert a game in ffmpeg (in this case 'Astron Belt'), I enter the code and after some activity, I get a red error message that reads "astron.mpg: No such file or directory".

Can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Xaijiqq

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 01:22:45 pm »
Hi there,

noob issue:

I've followed all the steps suggested so far, but when I try to convert a game in ffmpeg (in this case 'Astron Belt'), I enter the code and after some activity, I get a red error message that reads "astron.mpg: No such file or directory".

Can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
have you had success getting any other games working?  i'm wondering if there is a mistake with how the batch files were created or maybe the game version.  the astron belt files i use are:

astron.zip
astron.txt
astron512.ogg
astron512.m2v

FFMPEG Encode.bat
ffmpeg -i astron512.m2v -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -deinterlace -s 256x240 astron512.mpg
erase astron512.m2v

FFMPEG DEMUX.bat
ffmpeg -i astron512.mpg -vcodec copy -an astron512.m2v
erase astron512.mpg

hopefully this helps

guydebored

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:27 am »
Thanks for your help! :)

Those are the same files I'm using. I also tried with Cobra Command, but I received the same issue "cobra.mpg: No such file or directory"

ffmpeg spat out error msgs for the encode and demux too! I think it's ffmpeg, or at least how I'm using it. arrggh!

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 06:42:02 am »
Thanks for your help! :)

Those are the same files I'm using. I also tried with Cobra Command, but I received the same issue "cobra.mpg: No such file or directory"

ffmpeg spat out error msgs for the encode and demux too! I think it's ffmpeg, or at least how I'm using it. arrggh!

Looks like your ffmpeg code is incorrect somehow. Can you c+p the code you're using along with all the filenames.

guydebored

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 02:12:11 pm »
Thanks for your help - here's a screen grab of my ffmpeg window and my files:

In the C:\ ffmpeg folder:

* astron.m2v
* ffmpeg.exe
* ffplay.exe
* ffprobe.exe

Xaijiqq

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »
made a ffmpeg daphne video converting step by step guide, tried to make it as user friendly as possible along with snapshot images to go along with each step ;) should be helpful to those that been having trouble converting the video files.  you can download it here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/98y427

Thanks for your help - here's a screen grab of my ffmpeg window and my files:

In the C:\ ffmpeg folder:

* astron.m2v
* ffmpeg.exe
* ffplay.exe
* ffprobe.exe

guydebored, the files all look correct but i convert everything in the 'bin' folder, not sure if that really matters.  also there should be 2 files included inside that folder: 'FFMPEG Encode.bat' and 'FFMPEG DEMUX.bat'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once the batch files commands are copy and pasted over its really only a matter of drag and dropping the video files onto each batch file for converting, aside from changing the game's name and in some cases the resolution each time
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:42:54 pm by Xaijiqq »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic