• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Adamant Armor Affection Adventure (2016-10-22)  (Read 3844 times)

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
Adamant Armor Affection Adventure (2016-10-22)
« on: October 21, 2016, 08:06:35 pm »
So, I've completed my port of this 3d third-person stealth adventure game by Quasist and Don Miguel that won second place in the RIOT Tag-Team Coding Competition in 2011.

You can read the OPK manual for more details. (Please do read it before playing, it can be read on your GCW.)
Haptic support is fully coded, but will not be enabled until the GCW gets a firmware fix for it.
This port should be on the official repository soon.

What I changed: (detail on github)
  • Haptic feedback support for Linux/Mac platforms
  • Commandline options (resolution, joystick selection, fullscreen setting)
  • G-Sensor support for GCW
  • Disable glFog for GCW
  • Keymapping and text for GCW
  • Save file handling for GCW
  • Game manual in OPK for GCW
  • Cleaned up some of the source code

Github repository here
Download OPK from here

Screenshots:

gameblabla

Re: Adamant Armor Affection Adventure (2016-10-22)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:27:20 am »
I discovered a bug : if you go to the options and select "Reset Game" then all the modes except Tutorial are locked.
Even if you finish the tutorial, none of the modes gets unlocked.
Either you should remove "Reset Game" from the options or fix it so it doesn't lock the game modes.

The port itself is great and the game runs smoothly, with some exceptions...
The G-Sensor in this game is completely useless : either the camera looks at  the ground even if you move your gcw0 all the way up
or worse... sometimes the camera gets stuck looking at the sky !
But maybe it's because i did some funky things with my gcw0 i don't know.
Either way, it should be disabled by default.

Now, let's talk about the game itself.
The graphics are probably the best part of this game : they look great, it runs smoothly and it's not too pixeleted considering
the GCW0's low resolution is generally unsuitable for 3D Games.
My only complaint is that the draw distance is way too low, it should be increased.
Seriously, it's impossible to see enemies far away.

What kills this game is the gameplay...
I want to love this game but almost everything about it is horrendous.
The level design by Quasist is awful and they are either maze-like or have a huge empathis on platforms,
the latter is pretty bad because our character jumps way too low and loses momentum as soon as its head hits something.
The maze-like levels are pretty bad too because they can consistenly respawn enemies and you have no idea where to go.
The enemies are complete madness : as soon as you kill them, they respawn, making it pointless to kill them in the first place.
Some of them are very difficult to kill, like the dinosaurs. They are almost impossible to kill without dying once.
Due to this, i was unable to finish even a level...
That was the "Mission" mode, there are several other modes too.

There's "Autism" mode, where it's basically Minecraft Classic except it is even more boring than Crafti.
Then there's the "Frag" mode, where you have to kill enemies in a single level. It's pretty boring and brutal.
Then there's the extreme mode, which i have not tried because the "main" game itself is already difficult.
There's also a "Fantasy" mode where you can go around RPG-style but i have no idea how to even attack.
How are we supposed to get weapons ?
And finally, the zombie mode.
I'm not sure what you're supposed to do because you have nothing to protect and you have infinite lives...

Did i mention this game has a hiralously bad english translation at the introduction ?
I bet none of you can understand it !

I also forgot to mention that the third-person view could have been better because you can't see what's coming
on the sides.
There's a first-person view but you can't shoot in first-person view, what's the point ?
You can also zoom-in with the L shoulder button, like any shooter out there, but why are there two lasers ?
It just makes things confusing...

And that's it. I can see Quasist put a lot of efforts into it but he should have made the levels less frustrating.
The respawning enemies are defintively bad tho, that's not something i miss from the NES days.

I'm puzzled why com64 chose to put all of his efforts porting this game :
Maybe he knows how to play this game ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:32:16 am by gameblabla »

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:32:20 am »
I discovered a bug : if you go to the options and select "Reset Game" then all the modes except Tutorial are locked.
Even if you finish the tutorial, none of the modes gets unlocked.
Either you should remove "Reset Game" from the options or fix it so it doesn't lock the game modes.
My mistake: the gamemodes are supposed to be all locked at first, I copied the wrong save file into the opk. You're supposed to unlock them by playing the game and collecting discs (important part), so no strange operation here. Switched the OPK with the right one, thanks for pointing it out (kind of).

The port itself is great and the game runs smoothly, with some exceptions...
The G-Sensor in this game is completely useless : either the camera looks at  the ground even if you move your gcw0 all the way up
or worse... sometimes the camera gets stuck looking at the sky !
But maybe it's because i did some funky things with my gcw0 i don't know.
Either way, it should be disabled by default.
Make sure you read the readme, reset the gsensor either by holding it at the right angle at startup, or by using the power switch.

I'm puzzled why com64 chose to put all of his efforts porting this game :
Maybe he knows how to play this game ?
Because it reminds me of the GP32X days.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:41:51 am by com64 »

gameblabla

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:49:04 pm »
Make sure you read the readme, reset the gsensor either by holding it at the right angle at startup, or by using the power switch.
Okay, i got it to work properly now. But now it gives me motion sickness, how do i fix that ? lol

Because it reminds me of the GP32X days.
Hhmm, i see. (even though i have not heard of this game a lot in the old GP32X days)

Could you consider increasing the draw distance ? or that would make the game too slow ?
It would help anticipating some of the enemies in some levels because it seems they can shoot farther
than you can see.

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:47 am »
Could you consider increasing the draw distance ? or that would make the game too slow ?
It would help anticipating some of the enemies in some levels because it seems they can shoot farther
than you can see.

I can't actually do it because of the way it was programmed. It's all hard-coded, not as easy as changing a couple values.