• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: [Quick Port] Exult / Ultima 7  (Read 10593 times)

trashHeap (OP)

[Quick Port] Exult / Ultima 7
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:38:58 am »
I picked up Ultima VII The Black Gate, The Silver Serpent and all the expansions from Good Old Games during their sale the other week. So I decided to give porting Exult to the GCW a try.

GCW OPK Package is available here.

Ive only tested it against the GOG's version. My default configuration asumes that the "ULTIMA7" and "SERPENT" folders from "C:\GOG Games\Ultima VII - Complete" are copied to /media/sdcard/u7/ and that the zipped "All In One Audio Pack" from the Exult Website is extracted to:
/media/sdcard/u7/audio

You can change these paths yourself by providing a configuration file named ".exult.cfg" in the home folder, or modifying the one that gets copied there the first time you launch the game.

Mouse emulation will have to be turned on.

I don't know how playable it will turn out to be on the GCW without a keyboard, I have not played it before. I know it is possible to get past the character name entry screen without typing anything, though.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:23:00 am by trashHeap »

TimeDevouncer

Re: [Quick Port] Exult / Ultima 7
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:56 am »
Thanks for your work, but i have a problem:

I put the OPK in the apps folder, but I can't see the icon.

Any help? Thanks!
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

trashHeap (OP)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »
I put the OPK in the apps folder, but I can't see the icon.

Is it appearing in the launcher without an icon? Or is it not appearing in the launcher at all?

Can you also tell me the filesize of the OPK? Its a little big it should come in around the 40MB mark.

I must confess this is my first app for the GCW, I may have botched something somewhere. It does work on my system.

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »
No, doesn't appearing in the launcher.

The size of the OPK is 20.313KB, I will download it again. Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:51:55 pm by TimeDevouncer »

trashHeap (OP)

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:55:04 pm »
The size of the OPK is 20.313KB, I will download it again. Thanks.

Yeah it sounds like you got an incomplete file. If you have further trouble and are prepared to compare file hashes, the MD5 for the file should be 740e5d663c4b92ba4c3f35ac07cc7410 .

zephyrus

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:17:32 pm »
Ok, works fine so far :) cannot say much about game play, got past the character screen but without keyboard it seems you only can quick save, save points require a name. It would also be fine if there would be a gamepad mode.

Bug: you cannot edit the config file. Everytime you load the game it replaces the config file by the default one. Please correct this issue.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:19:34 pm by zephyrus »

trashHeap (OP)

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »
Ok, works fine so far :) cannot say much about game play, got past the character screen but without keyboard it seems you only can quick save, save points require a name. It would also be fine if there would be a gamepad mode.

I have been searching through the Exult documentation for some sort of gamepad or keyboard only mode, and or an on screen keyboard w/ little luck.

Bug: you cannot edit the config file. Everytime you load the game it replaces the config file by the default one. Please correct this issue.

I think I was able to fix this. New OPK uploaded, same URL. New MD5 Hash: eacaecf53067c26082c93e677ba709b5
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:52:26 pm by trashHeap »

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:40:57 pm »
I think I was able to fix this. New OPK uploaded, same URL. New MD5 Hash: eacaecf53067c26082c93e677ba709b5

Nop, same problem for me :(, the game replaces the config file.

trashHeap (OP)

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:06 pm »
Nop, same problem for me :(, the game replaces the config file.

It is working over here for me. I can edit it by hand w/ nano from telnet or change options from the title screen, and they persist even after exiting and reentering the game. I was able to test this and verify it pretty quickly just by disabling audio.

I also checked and the MD5 sums for opk I have on my GCW and the web server match.

Can you delete the .exult.cfg in the home folder so its starting fresh. If the problem still persists can you verify the md5sum of your opk file?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:42:49 pm by trashHeap »

Chiba3010

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:38:49 am »
Ok, the title screen loads up just fine but I can't move the cursor, nor get any input of any kind to register. How do I enable mouse emulation? Other than making sure mice-in-joy is running, I got nothin'. Any solutions to help a newbie?

Chiba3010

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 06:20:29 am »
N/M about the mouse emulation, figured that one out. I still can't get audio working on this game and can't get past the character name screen.

zephyrus

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:35:00 am »
config file is working now, thx. game runs smooth even with bilinear scalers :)

trashHeap (OP)

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »
N/M about the mouse emulation, figured that one out. I still can't get audio working on this game and can't get past the character name screen.

What path have you extracted the audio package to?

You should have a few .flx files in the u7/audio folder on the root of the SD card and then a whole bunch of .ogg files in u7/audio/music when you are done.

You should be able to skip the character name screen by using the dpad and start button to skip name and sex and then select "Journey Onward"

iball

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 04:10:34 pm »
Followed the instructions in the first post and it runs fine.
I just wish the mouse was little slower or had more fine control over it.  Too jerky really...

trashHeap (OP)

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 04:13:32 pm »
Followed the instructions in the first post and it runs fine.
I just wish the mouse was little slower or had more fine control over it.  Too jerky really...

Agreed, thats a problem with the mouse emulation all together on the GCW, at the moment I fear.

Chiba3010

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 10:30:32 pm »
Thanks, I have everything working now! I made a mistake editing the cfg which accounted for the lack of sound. :-[

Chiba3010

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 10:41:08 pm »

I found a loophole for game saves. When prompted to type a name for your save, disable mouse emulation and press the Y button. It will enter a "space" (the only key entry I could find that registers as text) allowing you to save your game once you turn mouse emulation back on. Sure, your save files will all appear blank, but it works and since they'll appear in chronological order, you'll know which is your most recent save.

Dejunai

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:58:17 am »
Rise oh Zombie topic....

er... uh....

Well, I had trouble getting Exult to work... So I came here... and still had trouble... and well figured it out, and thought it important to clarify how and what I did... since I mostly didn't follow the conversation within the topic...

So, er ... um....

If you dont have sound, the .exult.cfg in the root of the /apps/ folder needs to have an entry pointing to /yourpath/audio/music/... I had it set to just point to /yourpath/audio/...

For whatever reasons I could NOT pass the name/sex screen until the /music/ path was fixxxed properly.... Now I can start a 'New Game' using DPAD and Start...

WooT WooT

And last but not least... The Power+B mouse option for the DPAD is too fast and essentially breaks the game. HOWEVER... Recently, and the reason I have ReZdDedderTopix is that AntiCat in support of his version of OpenXcom, has released a repaired version of JohnnyFlame's  "Mouse in Joy" and titled it "Mice in Joy" which makes it a bit harder to find when looking for the repaired file...

"Mice in Joy" working version of "Mouse in Joy" for current firmware 8-20-14:
Can be found http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-games-and-homebrew/mice-in-joy-9024/

iball

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 03:25:45 am »
Hate to de-zombie this one but the original download link is dead. 

Can someone re-upload it somewhere?

Thanks!

Post a new topic
Post a new topic