Author Topic: Tutorial to remove white specks/dust from behind GCW Zero screen!  (Read 6806 times)

SkySword7 (OP)

This is a simple guide with tips to remove dust and those pesky white specks from under the GCW Zero screen. Before I begin the source of the tutorials I used:

fosamax: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-general/gcw-zero-disassembly-and-d-pad-mod-tutorial/

GCW Zero Disassembly: http://wiki.surkow.com/GCW_Zero_Disassembly

The rest of this tutorial will be my contribution using my own photos. When disassembling your GCW Zero just know that I am not liable for any damage that might occur to your unit. I give anyone permission to use my photos for making guides of their own as long as they source.

===========================================================================================================================================

THINGS YOU NEED:

1) A clean work space
2) A good light source
3) Double sided tape

4) Eye glass cleaner

5) Eye glass cleaning cloth

6) Compressed air (multipurpose - always keep can upright)

7) Sewing needle

8) Tweezers (plastic suggested)

9) Screwdriver set (with magnetic tip)

10) Led flashlight

===========================================================================================================================================

First I would recommend using fosamax's tutorial in conjunction with this one. Use my guide if you get stuck and for extra tips, as well as removing dust/debris from screen. I would like to note in fosamax's tutorial he added a JST connector to be able to plug/unplug the battery. It's a smart idea if you have the skill in soldering and the equipment, but not necessary to clean the screen. In addition, the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the PCB doesn't need to be removed, unless the screen needs replacement.

TIPS/TUTORIAL:

1) Use double sided tape to place screws and small items

2) Use tweezers to remove rumble motor from plastic shell (be gentle and wiggle it side to side until it comes out)

3) It might be necessary to file down the top of the power button with a flat head screw driver to remove it (place a barrier in front while pushing it out with a philips screw driver, but be careful of it flying out)

4) Another photo of the power button (the thickest part of the clamp on top was filed slightly)

5) When placing the power button back, simply push it in with the big clip pointing up

6) The left and right shoulder buttons can be removed by pushing the button while pulling up (be gentle and take your time)

7) When replacing the shoulder buttons place the PCB first in the plastic slot

8) Angle the shoulder button against the rubber piece and push forward and down into place

9) The grey border for TV-OUT and HDMI is easy to get out with the right angle (slightly pinch the sides to make it easier)

10) Don't worry if the speaker grill comes off, just place it back and adjust it with a sewing needle when putting the system back together (if you're afraid of piercing the speaker than you can remove it for this part)

11) Before being able to remove the screen to clean, detach the analog nub using flat head screw driver (it takes barely any pressure to remove)

12) Replacing the analog nub is easy as aligning and pushing it down onto the surface

13) Once the plastic front panel is separated from the PCB you can examine the amount of dust and white specks

14) Spray eye glass cleaner on cloth only and then apply to screen and plastic shell (use your index finger and move gently left to right while picking up dust and specks)

15) Using an led light check the surface while cleaning and using compressed air (use compressed air on shell and PCB to make sure all of the white specks are gone)

16) An over head light can be used while placing the GCW Zero back together to check dust

17) Use the double sided tape on the back of the battery to replace it to the back shell (the battery should not be free floating in the GCW Zero)

18) While putting the rubber stoppers back in make sure the hollow end is facing down (Use side of philips screw driver to push down)

19) Start system and check for dust/white specks, and input/output (use a game such as Earthbound)

20) Find an anti-reflective screen protector (optional)

21) GCW Zero soft case not recommended to be used, cloth attracts static electricity and dust/pet hair

22) Find alternative case (this was my old case for a Nintendo DS Light)

Quickman

Re: Tutorial to remove white specks/dust from behind GCW Zero screen!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:12:14 am »
 Great stuff! Awesome job! Thank you for the information!

SkySword7 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 01:39:56 am »
Thanks, I tried to make it as informative as I could!

Mar8

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »
 Thank you for this! I look forward to using this tutorial along with replacing my D pad/buttons simultaneously.

SkySword7 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:25:37 pm »
You're welcome!

Jutleys

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:06:24 pm »
There's no need to remove the power slider button.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic