Author Topic: Rollback nighty build firmware / can't activate boot mode?  (Read 3784 times)

kudos (OP)

Rollback nighty build firmware / can't activate boot mode?
« on: December 12, 2020, 08:53:57 pm »
I installed the 2020-12-08 GCW-Zero nighty build from https://zcrc.me/opendingux/2020/10/13/we-have-nighties.html, and everything worked fine. Only, I've realized now that I don't like it. The biggest problem is that the thumbstick doesn't seem to be recognized anymore.

I'd like to roll back to the old 2014 GCW Zero firmware, but I can't figure out how to do it. Running the old updater OPK just gives me the message, "ERROR! Unable to update RootFS. Do you have enough space available?"

I've gotten the OpenDingux Rescue Disc v0.3 from this forum up and running, but now I can't seem to get my GCW-Zero to start in boot mode. It doesn't do anything when I hold down SELECT and then try to power it up (or when I hold START, for that matter). So the Rescue Disc just can't detect it.

Can anyone help??

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: Rollback nighty build firmware / can't activate boot mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 08:56:19 pm »
Try with a different USB cable and/or a different PC.

kudos (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 07:55:26 pm »
I've tried another cable, didn't make a difference. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another PC at the moment. I'll see what I can do about finding more cables.

How is boot mode supposed to work? Does it only activate when you've plugged the GCW Zero in via USB? Or should it be able to go into boot mode without being plugged in?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:42:29 am »
Try to press the reset switch while pressing SELECT, it will get into boot mode.

RetroVibe

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 05:46:53 am »
I can confirm that. Once you install the new firmware, you can't enter boot mode to use Recovery CD. It's not cable or button combination problem.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 01:09:03 pm »
I can confirm that. Once you install the new firmware, you can't enter boot mode to use Recovery CD. It's not cable or button combination problem.
The USB boot mode is a feature of the boot ROM. The firmware has no say to how it works.

gain91

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 08:50:15 pm »
Hello,
I encountered this problem too. What I did to rollback to the 08-2014 firmware was booting the device with the last RootFS and Kernel by pressing (power+x+y) and install the previous update from May 2014, after the the device has that firmware and you can install the 08-2014 update.

I tried to install the 08-2014 firmware with the old kernel(08-2014) and old rootFS but only the rootFS will be installed and the it will still load the kernel from the nightly build by default which will result in a broken state, in this case you just need to load with old kernel by pressing (x+power). I think the system won't install the same kernel twice(makes sense!) so to overwrite the new kernel you need to install an older kernel.

I hope this can help others who wants to rollback from the nightly builds.

Edit: this work only if your last working kernel and rootFS is from the 08-2014 like in my case else you need flash the device
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:57:51 pm by gain91 »

Post a new topic