• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Requesting help with downloading latest GCW Zero Firmware  (Read 4185 times)

jeremyjase (OP)

Hi all,

I am new on the forum and just purchased a GCW Zero off of ebay (I think it is a Kickstarter version with firmware dated July 22, 2013). There is no Network icon under the Apps section, so I am trying to download the October 2013 firmware onto a Micro SD Card, however, when I try to download it, my Windows 10 laptop only allows me to save it as "HTM." I did a lot of googling and did not have much luck figuring out what I needed to do to download OPK files onto the Micro SD Card in my laptop. I think I am missing necessary drivers but could not figure it out. I would be grateful for any help with setting up my GCW Zero. My GCW is basically a brick right now due to me being a newb at this.

Separately. I did try to connect my GCW Zero via USB to my Windows 10 laptop and it is not recognizing it. I searched everywhere and did not find it in Device Manager (no yellow exclamation point and nothing called Remote NDIS) so I struck out there as well. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me figure out what I need to do.

hi-ban

Re: Requesting help with downloading latest GCW Zero Firmware
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
The latest firmware is from Oct 20 2014. Here is a link:

http://www.gcw-zero.com/files/gcw0-update-2014-08-20.opk

jeremyjase (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »
Thank you for the helpful link. When I right click it and press Save As, it only allows me to save it as an "HTM"
File. Do you know what I need to do in order to save it as an "OPK" File. I am running Windows 10 on my computer so perhaps I am missing a driver, but I am not sure. Thank you again!

hi-ban

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:10:51 pm »
Thank you for the helpful link. When I right click it and press Save As, it only allows me to save it as an "HTM"
File. Do you know what I need to do in order to save it as an "OPK" File. I am running Windows 10 on my computer so perhaps I am missing a driver, but I am not sure. Thank you again!
You don't need any drivers. Dont right-click it. just normal click and it should download just fine. I got win10 too, and i have no issues.

What i suspect is you're using Microsoft Edge. Please, never use Edge, it's the crappiest browser of history. Use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, and your problems will be solved forever.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:19:49 pm by hi-ban »

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:37:40 pm »
It appears more people had issues with Windows 10.

There are three ways to access your GCW Zero:
- Transfer files via USB
- Transfer files via Wifi
- Move files onto an external micro SD card

All you need to do is download the .opk file to an micro SD card (to a directory called /apps/ on the card) and then place the micro SD card in your unit. An icon will appear and the firmware update can begin.

jeremyjase (OP)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:58 am »
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to both of you. I followed your advice and I got my system to work perfectly (Microsoft Edge was a big source of the problem too - and Chrome came through great). Can't thank you both enough as it really is an awesome system. Now only if I could replace this D-Pad as the up motion does not register the best on my system. I see that there are sellers that have made replacement 3-D directional pads that fit better, but I am way too nervous to open my system up being the non-techy that I am.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:44 am »
https://munchluxe63.github.io/gcw/gcw.html

Individual running this site offers repairs... be sure to check it out.

8)