• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Power button press/release issues, firmware 2013-09-13  (Read 1900 times)

Nebuleon

Power button press/release issues, firmware 2013-09-13
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:49:39 pm »
Four users so far have been having problems with the Power button deciding to activate at random times, or not to activate, or other randomness. I am starting to think there is an odd bug in pwswd, the Power switch handler daemon.

I first encountered a problem whereby holding Power and issuing a quick press of D-pad Left/Right did not change the brightness, but only long presses of D-pad Left/Right worked after a third of a second. This was after I tested the Reboot combination for the benefit of the GCW Zero Wiki's Power button combinations page. I think the daemon got stuck because Power was raised during boot. Using the /Settings/Reboot item in gmenu2x instead the Power button combination makes everything work fine.

Then you have JohnnyonFlame, who reported a bug to pcercuei related to the Power switch sticking in the raised position. I don't remember the problem exactly.

And then you have these two posts users in the ReGBA thread:

I'm having a weird problem in alpha 3 where the audio lowers by itself. I thought the audio dropped completely but I was able to turn it back up. It does it every couple of minutes.
I'll try and recreate it then. I was playing the English patched version of Mother 3. I don't think it does it with any other applications but I'll check, as well.

No, I wasn't holding down the power press combo.

I'll keep you posted.

I've reproduced this bug testing my Sonic Robo Blast 2 port today. It will happen after you press power + x buttons.

Post about your issues and findings here for the benefit of all :) Make sure you're using the most recent firmware first.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:55:25 pm by Nebuleon »

Nebuleon

Re: Power button press/release issues, firmware 2013-09-13
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:35:25 pm »
I have confirmed the existence of this bug myself today in ReGBA, and it is indeed caused by Power+X. Though it would occur similarly in any application, not all applications have all keys bound to an in-application action. That's why I used ReGBA.

Here's my test setup.

a) Open ReGBA alpha 3. It has Rapid A and Rapid B bound to Y and X.
b) Open Pok?mon Emerald. (Any RPG with menus will do, but hey, I like Pok?mon.)
c) Raise Power, press X, lower Power.
d) Walk around on the map using long presses of the D-pad. [Expected: the character walks around the map, and nothing else gets the button press. Actual: the character walks around the map and some Power button functions are activated.]
e) Get into a Pok?mon battle, wild or against a trainer.
f) Press A to enter the FIGHT menu.
g) In the FIGHT menu, press D-pad directions, quickly or long presses. [Expected: the move selection changes, and nothing else gets the button press. Actual: the move selection changes, long presses send X to ReGBA and exit the FIGHT menu because Rapid B is bound to X, and some Power button functions are activated.]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:38:03 pm by Nebuleon »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:26:00 pm »
Yeah I can reproduce the bug. Once you trigger it pwswd will eat all the CPU it can, continously. I'll see what I can do.

Nebuleon

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:50 pm »
As tested today after pcercuei reported that pressing some power button combinations prevented the ReGBA Main Menu from appearing with the Y hotkey, this bug still occurs in firmware 2013-10-04.

Post a new topic