Author Topic: I think I broke my power switch...  (Read 2866 times)

TheChristoph (OP)

I think I broke my power switch...
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:02:20 am »
I got the 3d printed d-pad and installed it today. It was pretty easy disassembling and reassembling the unit. I'm not a complete novice to this sort of thing; I've swapped a GBA SP case, stuff like that. But I think I broke my GCW Zero...

The switch now has no resistance when I raise or lower it. There was no spring or anything of the like that fell out; I don't know what happened. The wiki says that the electrical switch is easy to break, but I can't visually tell what happened. The photos on the wiki don't help and I couldn't visually see anything that attached the slider to the power switch in the first place...

So can anyone recommend a course of action here? Anything obvious that I may have overlooked?

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: I think I broke my power switch...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:08:36 am »
The power switch can be replaced with basic soldering skills. Any generic PSP style power switch will do.

Quickman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:09 am »
 Man, that really sucks I'm so sorry!
This amongst many other reasons is why am so weary to upgrade or modify my zero since it was so hard to acquire one.

However, if there are any administrators seeing this, it should be moved to the top of the "Help" category.

Or  The original poster should copy and paste it in the help category.

People are usually quick to respond there! Hope you're able to get it fixed soon buddy!

Edit:  while I was writing then posting this, an administrator  must've chimed in at the same time.  sorry
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:10:50 am by Quickman »

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:12:46 am »
Moved the topic as per suggestion.

Note: even with a broken power switch, you can still turn on your unit with the reset button.

TheChristoph (OP)

I think I broke my power switch...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 02:48:22 am »
Oops, didn't think about the help section. Sorry guys.

Surkow: Thanks for the pro tip about the reset button. Didn't know I could power on with that. Since I can power off in software, all is not lost if I can't figure out how to fix the switch.

Any suggestions on how to extend the Reset button to make it more accessible?

Also thanks for the link to that other thread. The photos there help out a lot. I don't have any experience soldering but perhaps it's worth trying.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:50:06 am by TheChristoph »

TheChristoph (OP)

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 02:33:19 am »
Oh, crumbs. Now it won't turn on at all unless it's plugged in to a charger. Time to order a GPD XD I guess.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
Oh, crumbs. Now it won't turn on at all unless it's plugged in to a charger. Time to order a GPD XD I guess.
Perhaps the battery is disconnected? Fragile wires all around sadly enough.

TheChristoph (OP)

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 08:08:01 pm »
Yeah, the battery wires came right off their solder points after I took the back cover off for the second time. Didn't even notice it.

I broke it due to carelessness and I will accept that, but whose bright idea was it to solder the battery to the mainboard? That's really questionable design.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 10:03:51 pm »
Perhaps with newer production batches we'll finally get JST connectors. Your unit can still be salvaged - I'd recommend you to find someone with soldering skills.

BMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »
Long time reader, first post. The same identical thing happened to me while also putting in my new D-Pad and buttons. I was able to pick up a PSP switch on ebay for $1.30 USD. I had a friend solder it on for me yesterday. Works perfect.

jaildesigner

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 12:30:03 pm »
I broke my GCW aswell after trying to replace buttons. Why there is not a simple guide of how to do this on the same page they SELL the buttons to you?
Worst console I've bought :(

Aeter

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 06:01:23 pm »
If you buy a handheld like this and wreck by lack of knowledge how to install new buttons, it's kind of your own fault for not educating yourself  on how to do this. You don't start working on car engines if don't know anything about it. 
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Post a new topic