Author Topic: GCW-Zero USB connector repair  (Read 1252 times)

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
GCW-Zero USB connector repair
« on: July 18, 2020, 02:50:54 am »
Problem
My USB connector no longer works

Background
So a few months ago I was using my GCW-Zero, which is pretty much always connected via USB to my PC.
I plugged it in and pushed my USB connector in a few mm beyond where it normally should stop.
Great!
I opened it up and sure enough it had completely come off, I soldered it back on but found that as the connector had slid up along the mother board it had removed the little SMD/SMT (whatever) they are.
So, my USB is in place but it cannot work as these tiny little components are missing.

Question
What are these little components just above where the USB port connects to the motherboard? I see there are other numerous tiny whatever these are scattered around the board.

Senor Quack

Re: GCW-Zero USB connector repair
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 04:06:54 pm »
Can you post a pic of the damage?

If you look here, there's a admittedly small closeup pic of the area   https://steward-fu.github.io/website/handheld/gcw0/uart.htm

Looks like some of the components aren't populated on his board, but looking at my prototype unit, they are fully populated.

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 11:38:44 pm »
Yes of course, a photo of my actual board with possible missing components.

First photo is my actual working (except for USB) GCW-Zero; the board is still in the case.

Second photo is a bare dev board. The board works I've booted it up and it goes into some early version of Dingux.

Note in the second photo there are tiny components just above the USB port and on my working GCW-Zero they are missing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:52:00 pm by slaanesh »

Senor Quack

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 03:30:43 am »
I don't think you're missing any components, comparing your pic to Stewart's photo I linked to. Some SMT components simply weren't populated from the factory on later units.

I think the problem is a damaged port and/or pads, and a poor soldering job.  I'd order a new SMT mini USB port, take it to someone skilled in soldering with magnification tools, flux, hot-air station, etc. They might have to add bodge wires to bypass damaged pads on D+/D-/ID pins on the USB port, but best to worry about that later.  Someone skilled needs to remove that trashed port and do a PCB cleanup and damage inspection.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:39:24 am by Senor Quack »

slaanesh (OP)

• Slaanesh Dev
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:39:41 am »
Hmmm yes, I think you are right, there isn't anything missing, my comparison with the dev board was inaccurate.

To be honest, I don't want to take it anywhere to get fixed, it's probably not worth it. It would cost ~$150 based on other equipment I got fixed and ... well... I've got a spare GCW-Zero.

I just wanted to mend this one as it's kind of my "buddy" system, the unit I use the most for devving. The USB port is handy as it's so much quicker than wifi.

So, armed with a case of false confidence, I'd still like to try and fix it myself. Are the pads directly above ("TWS", "TD0", "TDI", "TRS" and "TCK") anything to do with the USB port? Test points?