Author Topic: Annoying analogue stick  (Read 7635 times)

Optimus (OP)

Annoying analogue stick
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:03:51 pm »
I never use the analogue stick in games, but something happened and it now registers movements without touching it. And so it works on the menu, moving fast through all the icon, having a hard time to make it stop and select the application I want only with the dpad.

Does anyone has this issue and is it a problem that can be fixed? I got this GCW0 from a friend who must have opened it.
Also, can I at least disable the analogue on the menu? I don't want to use it on the menu, the dpad is enough for this.

Cooper

Re: Annoying analogue stick
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:33:11 pm »
Hi! It seems to be a quite common issue. There is a number of topics here covering it. The reason is the poor pcb design - the analog pcb is held only by the soldering points, the support on the back plate is not tall enough. First i recommend to open the back and apply approx 2mm of tape layer on the analog pcb. Close the unit, put all screws. Repeat the procedure until analog behaves normally. At some point it may become dificult to move or even stuck - then remove the mainboard and apply a couple of tape layers on top of the analog assembly (to give some support towards the front panel). And dont forget to inspect the soldering points of analog before all the operations - the might be damaged already.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:36:41 pm by Cooper »

rolimattos

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:40:22 pm »
I have the same problem with my analog stick, annoying as [email protected]&*!
Is there any way to disable it WITHOUT having to open the device?
Thanks in advance.

Mar8

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:34:05 am »
@zear  Would the devs be willing to implement a global off/on switch within the GCW menu for the analog controls?? I feel like this would be a very good quick fix for most people who have these issues.

Nebuleon

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:20:57 am »
I'd like to add my voice here, as my SE's analog nub also moves constantly to the left. My input tester reports (-1.00, +0.18) when the nub is centered.
The Cloud is nice, but not if it decides to rain on your parade.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:18:49 am »
Hi,

We want to add a global ON/OFF switch but it's not that simple, because of the way input is handled in OpenDingux.

The main problem is that the face buttons and the analog stick use two different kernel drivers, and appear as two different devices to userspace applications. Since that confused a lot the games (which expect the buttons and analog sticks to be on one joystick device), we added "linkdev", which is a kernel driver that merges the input and create a single joystick device. It also handles translation of key codes to emulate either a keyboard or a gamepad.

The problem is, if you disable the joystick driver, "linkdev" won't start, so the face buttons won't work either...

The fix that we want to attempt:
- Patch SDL1 / SDL2 to emulate one gamepad from various input devices,
- Handle switching between keyboard mode / gamepad mode by reconfiguring the hardware (using devicetree overlays),
- Use a devicetree overlay for the analog stick, so that we can enable/disable it at runtime.

But FW development is going a bit slow these days, as we are more focused on getting all the drivers upstream. So this probably won't happen anytime soon.

Mar8

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:52:24 pm »
@pcercuei  either way, thank you so much for the detailed explanation! 
I know you guys always have your hands full! Thank you :)

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:38:34 am »
@pcercuei
Would it be possible to adjust the analog sensitivity slightly then?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 06:22:24 pm »
We'll find something ;)

Jutleys

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 06:11:53 am »
I have this problem on my GCW too any other fix?

com64

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:27:00 am »
The wipers/pads inside the joysticks can wear out, or the contacts might be poorly soldered, making a poor connection in some cases. Mine would arbitrarily register values on the opposite end of the axes under a certain threshold until I replaced it.

I do offer a replacement service for joysticks now... contact me if you're interested.

Swarmadd

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 10:48:15 am »
Oh yes, this stick is very annoying !

For mine, it goes left like crazy at boot sometimes, until I wiggle and push it a bit... You can temporarily fix it by spraying a bit of contact cleaner inside, but after some time it will revert to "annoying" mode  :-[ So, in the best case this is clearly a contact/solder issue, more than a damaged potentiometer wiper/track issue.
Next time I'll open it my soldering iron will be on the desk ^^

Jutleys

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 11:04:40 am »
I noticed one thing if you push down on the stick quite firmly it will work fine for a while since your pushing the contacts together again.

com64

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:46 pm »
Oh yes, this stick is very annoying !

For mine, it goes left like crazy at boot sometimes, until I wiggle and push it a bit... You can temporarily fix it by spraying a bit of contact cleaner inside, but after some time it will revert to "annoying" mode  :-[ So, in the best case this is clearly a contact/solder issue, more than a damaged potentiometer wiper/track issue.
Next time I'll open it my soldering iron will be on the desk ^^

Yeah, there definitely is an issue on how the analogue stick is kinda hanging in there by the contact pins; it might also help to add something in behind the stick to act as strain relief for the contact pins.

On another note, I wouldn't recommend actually opening up the joystick assembly and manipulating the wipers since it's not very easy to reassemble due to the centring spring inside.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:16:21 pm by com64 »

Post a new topic