This is a topic split from the update thread.
I am sure that many of us here are excited to see the working bootloader. We are very thankful for the progress made by our development team and it makes us eager to start shipping these consoles. However, now that our production console is awake we noticed a few unexpected issues that did not exist on the early units. These issues prevent us and the development team from being comfortable with delivering the consoles. Our biggest concern is a persistent audio "stutter" issue that needs to be corrected. We are trying to assess whether this issue could be solved with a firmware update or worse, it could be a problem with the kernel.
Seeing the console boot up was a light at the end of the tunnel for ourselves as well, so we want to keep up the momentum. If the problem turns out to be related to the kernel, then it will become a much more complicated fix for an average user. We are trying to avoid this as first impressions are lasting ones.
The issue we are experiencing is a very recent one so it is still a mystery to all of us. Justin and I have agreed on a preliminary plan to approach the problem. We will be communicating with the development team as they assess it. Once we have enough information to understand the scope of the issue and how to resolve it, Justin and I will then confer and make a judgment call on whether we can flash and release the units now or if we need to wait for an adequate solution. Again, this is an early plan for an unexpected problem but our goal remains unchanged- we intend to deliver a complete product as quickly as possible.
Most of all, we want to make sure you are satisfied when enjoying your favorite games on the Zero for the first time. Those who have been able to experience the Zero know this feeling and it would be a major disappointment for everyone involved in this project if we worked so hard but our fans were soured by technical issues.
Our plan still involves two shipments for each Special Edition order. Once we get the consoles out, we will start asking for your shirt sizes.
Now we will start to disagree.
As a core member of the official GCW Zero development team, I have to say I'm against yet another delay for such a tiny issue.
You make it look like the "audio stutter" issue is a critical bug that has to be fixed ASAP. But it's just a software bug. It will be fixed in time by a software upgrade.
Also, you say that "the issue we are experiencing is a very recent one so it is still a mystery to all of us".
To this, I will respond that it's been weeks that we are aware of this bug, it appears only on a couple of units (the 512 MB v1.1 prototypes?), and we didn't even start to try to debug it. It is not a "mystery" as we have yet to start to look at the cause. And maybe it can be fixed in a couple of minutes, who knows.
Finally, while I agree the OS should be polished for the KickStarter units, the people who bought the Special Edition units did so through this forum, or similar places across the Internet, and won't be afraid by seeing the kernel booting with lots of random text instead of a nice animated logo. There is a point where you have to stop trying to make the best product and release the damn thing.
EDIT: I also really hate the fact that you announce the "audio stutter" issue as critical to the public while nobody ever told us, the dev team, to consider it as a high priority task. It would have certainly been fixed already if you told us. Actually, neither you or Justin ever mentioned that issue to us; only qbertaddict and zear reported it. Next time, it would be good to inform us instead of announcing yet another delay.