Author Topic: Radio application for GCW  (Read 2500 times)

marcos.souza (OP)

Radio application for GCW
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:20:21 am »
Hi guys!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24snvhxorfs0gb1/radio_player.opk

I ported the radio of A320 to GCW, and I hope this works great in your device!

Any problems, just tell me!

See ya!

kuwanger

Re: Radio application for GCW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:14 am »
Thank you for porting the radio app.  Any chance of (1) allowing the option to move left/right through channels, (2) lowering the search threshold (using fmscan, the highest station I can find is only ~12.5% strength), (3) having a updating strength signal so one can get some idea if they've found a good signal strength spot, and/or (4) releasing the source code (either the original one or your version, presuming there's a difference) so those of us who were too lazy to getting around to making our own radio app can piggyback off your efforts? :)

Seriously, though, thanks for the effort.  Unfortunately, having to use headphones as an antenna really does suck and doesn't seem to grant much in the reception category.  So, I'd really only want to use the gcw0 for that in an emergency.  Hence the above requests, precisely because even a very bad radio is better than nothing. :/

Wild Penguin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:27 pm »
I believe it is physically (somewhat) impossible to have proper FM radio reception without an antenna - so the Headphones are required. That's a requirement all portable devices with FM radio I have (or ever had / have seen) worked (like my Sandisk MP3 player and Android smartphone).

But there sure exists some improvements that could be made! I've already commented on Google+ and IRC, I'd add to the wishlist:

* Documentation / settable range for FM search (I believe it varies on different continents / parts of the world)
* Memory slots (I believe this is what kuwenger wants);
* Show the frequency when scanning
* Manual tuning (This is a must feature to have in situations where the signal is bad - but receptable).
* RDS  (IMO low priority, if this is even possible)

Also, source would be nice indeed! Thanks for the Radio application in any case!
My Hocoslamfy highscore: 107. Also try Freedroid for GCW0!

zear

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:58:01 pm »
Source code of marco's tool can be found on his github account: https://github.com/marcosps/gcw_radio

Pliskron

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:04 pm »
Thanks, this is pretty cool.

theweirdn8

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:35 pm »

I'm amazed.

Downloading now.

IS the antenna inside of system or do headphones need to be plugged in?

Nebuleon

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:33 pm »
There is some built-in reception, but headphones act as a better antenna. I've failed to scan for frequencies in my area without headphones in, but if I scan with headphones in I can take the headphones out and stay on the frequency, but get mostly static.

See #2 by Wild Penguin.

Nelugamer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 12:19:58 pm »
Hi, someone has the previously posted .opk's? all are unavailable now...

I'm just checking if it works on a rg300 too...

Thanks...

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 11:52:41 am »
Well the RG300 does not have a FM radio chip...

Post a new topic
Post a new topic