• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: How long still - ITS HERE!  (Read 9626 times)

Yertle

• !
Re: How long still
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 01:05:41 am »
Just to be fair, I wrote a PM to Justin on KS page a couple of days ago, asking when my unit will ship. I got the answer with an estimation within the next hour or two. Naturally, I will inform folks here whether the estimation was accurate. But Justin does currently give answers on personal shipment dates.

He has been called out a few times to answer how many units have shipped and he still refuses to do so.

Prophet

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:09 am »
Sorry to say this, but Yertle warned us ages ago.

Yertle - you were right.

Goose

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 07:22:42 pm »
Another week without a single update (nothing of value at least) via email or on the KS page.

I'm seeing more and more threads about units being sold, they will be back in stock at Thinkgeek on the 28th etc.
Feels great having backed this project just to see others take advantage of the project funding.

I have at this point lost all faith in this project and I share Prophets viewpoint on this whole debacle. I spend some time looking back at the communication, broken promises, the Atari "purchase" and so forth and deep down I think a lot of us knew what was coming.

To anyone else who has not gotten their units, please reply to the thread so that we can at least get something sent to Justin as a group rather than individuals standing bowing our heads in shame asking for a simple update for a product we paid for months ago.

Justin, if you ever read anything on this forum, please do the right thing and get the units shipped to the people who helped fund this project. I understand that this seems very low on the priority list but just get this done so we can put this whole thing behind us.

Agrajag

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 11:04:42 pm »
Still waiting for mine.  And judging by what I've been reading lately, I have a horrible feeling that if it ever does arrive I'm going to be disappointed with it.  The dodgy speaker wiring and sticky controls should have been caught and fixed at the factory before full production started, and any other issues should have been spotted when the flashing was done.

Maybe I'll be lucky and mine will actually be OK.  If not, I'll just have to remind myself that I didn't buy a mass produced commercial product from a big company, I donated some money to a man with a dream who was doing this in his spare time, and chalk it up to experience.

I feel sad writing this, as it seemed like a great project and I was proud to be backing it, but it's all gone a bit sour.  Much respect though to the devs who have supplied the Zero with a nice OS and library of software.

Orb

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 05:35:26 pm »
Unfortunately, the expression "lipstick on a pig" seems to be appropriate with this item.  As they are, at the root level, a fairly typical example of low-cost Chinese mass-produced handheld game consoles, they have the same QC and design issues inherent to those types of devices.  One can specify custom screens, processors, support hardware, etc...but in the end, implementation of those specifications are ultimately in the hands of the same factories grinding out these, often times, marginally performing products, by the thousands daily.

One can hope that eventually the issues with the units will be corrected, but ultimately, if it requires extra work from the factory, with no extra payment, they will continue to ship what they deem acceptable for the price paid, and the quantity of units likely to be ordered.  My estimation is that both of these numbers are fairly insignificant in the scope of their average production, so further investment will likely be required to address these issues.  And from my experience, the Chinese throw away nearly nothing.  They tend to throw marginal items, at a certain "allowable" percentage, in with the good ones, and expect the purchaser to do the weeding out.  This is something an experienced importer will expect, and consider in the costs.

These are things the Pandora project dealt with on the first run of their console, and they ultimately gave up on the Chinese production, and moved it elsewhere....at a fairly significant cost.

In the end, you get more than what you pay for with Chinese manufacturers, which is still quite good.  But any company expecting to not have to deal with small issues and/or product fallout which can affect the reputation of the product, is naive or fooling themselves.  Yes, many a large company has high quality product made in some of those same factories.  But to do so, they invest huge amounts of money, place blanket orders for extremely high quantities of units, and are involved on-site on a daily basis.  This just isn't going to happen with a unit like this one, unless adoption is high enough to change the nature of the business relationship between the two companies, allowing for more investment and direct involvement at the production end.  Unfortunately, if it ever reaches this scale, functionally identical knockoffs will likely follow.  It's a hard game to win.

Juan

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »
To anyone else who has not gotten their units, please reply to the thread so that we can at least get something sent to Justin as a group rather than individuals standing bowing our heads in shame asking for a simple update for a product we paid for months ago.
Here's a reply. Hope it helps you.

Zoel

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 06:33:38 pm »
I agree with all of Yertle points made several months ago. It just this forum would often spin anything negative about Gcw Zero is trolling. I mean I got my SE a long time ago but it has a faulty d pad leaving 50% of the games unplayable and Justin also gave the wrong colour gcw. When you try tell him on pm about it he just makes all kinds of excuse and say hey look the nvidia shield screw up too etc... And when you tell that him to something about it, he just shrugs it off that he doesn't care.

Pliskron

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 12:25:21 am »
This is all just too bad because the GCW is such a good product. I predict that this project is going to run out of money and go tits up. If that happens I just hope Dingux gets ported over to something else.
There's only 1600 KS backers. If you can't handle that you probably shouldn't be CEO of a company.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:54:22 am by Pliskron »

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 01:57:51 am »
It's anybody's guess though with communication being so poor.

I think shipping was turned out to be a lot more then he bargained for (pricing, logistics, etc). I hope he sells a tonne to think geek and the other retailers.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:11:12 am by Scoobysnaxx »

lemmywinks

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:47 am »
This is all just too bad because the GCW is such a good product. I predict that this project is going to run out of money and go tits up. If that happens I just hope Dingux gets ported over to something else.
There's only 1600 KS backers. If you can't handle that you probably shouldn't be CEO of a company.

I think it was mentioned on the KS that the money was already gone, save for the shipping funds for outstanding orders. It could well be that the Zero never actually makes it into a proper production run which I agree would be unfortunate for the people who have put their hard work into OD and for those who have financed the project up to this point. Seeing as GCW have already pretty much exhausted every financial source the future looks bleak. I would say if anybody wants one then make sure you pre order with one of the resellers who are awaiting units, you might not get another chance.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Pliskron

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
This is the point where you go on Shark Tank and make your pitch. "Look at all the pent up demand. I'll give you a 25% stake in my company for $100,000."

ZeroBoy (OP)

Re: How long still - ITS HERE!
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »
OMG - Santa came early this year - Yep the Zero has landed and it was TOTALLY worth the wait - The reviews have not done it justice at all!

My limited views
* Some reviews claim it was very plastic - Yes made of plastic but so stylish - love the form fator
* Some reviews claim it was very light - I think it is not light at all - sits comfortably in my hand (I can feel there is something there, and not worried it will just up and fall off .. it has weight presence)
* But yes, you have to be into opendingux fully to appreciate it, or should be inclined to get to know it :)

My unit
* D-Pad PERFECT - No sticking at all, free movment - in fact all buttons are
* Screen perfect no scratches / no dead pixels - fingers crossed :)
* Sound perfect through both speakers

Not tested any thing else (ie earphones, video out wifi etc) but will in time!

My advice to anyone still waiting, communicate directly through the kickstarter page (Justin always answered very quickly!!)

NICE NICE NICE

theweirdn8

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 06:23:13 pm »

Ah nice!

You got the shirt too and a cup!

retroman

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 05:33:26 am »
Congrats!