Author Topic: How about a contest? To shake the things here.  (Read 17111 times)

grizzly

Re: How about a contest? To shake the things here.
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 03:03:28 pm »
How about making ps1 emulator contest? It is much more important for many of us) i could donate 10$
Only thing i want - PS1 emu for GCW!

Optimus

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »
How about making ps1 emulator contest? It is much more important for many of us) i could donate 10$

Wat! I guess this was just a joke?

zear

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »
And have 5 shitty psx emulators. Great idea!

theweirdn8

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:08 pm »

I agree with zear.

Let's make gcw-zero make the android app store look like trash.

RodrigoCard (OP)

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 05:47:52 am »
So...

Only Original Games or Apps: 27.8%
Original Games/Apps, Ports and Emulators in separate categories: 66.7%
Anything, all in the same bucket 5.6% (that would never work anyway)

I've reached my goal. Know if the interest in a competition with only original games was high enough.

after seeing these results, I wonder if at least half the people who have ZERO care about original homebrews.  :-[ :-[ :-[
That's not what the poll asked or necessarily implied. And, it's okay to want both.

Yeah, of course! It just cant be implied with this poll's results. That is why I am wondering....

theweirdn8

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

There is no more emulators to make but, crappy PSX and N64 ones.

Let's not waste time on this contest with those...

Kloppix

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 03:02:18 pm »
I want to remind everyone that at the gp32spain/Wiz Contest of 2010 were also two categories.

After the contest about 20 new games and 3 new emulators were published, along an emulator that was significantly improved (by the original author). From the 3 new emulator, 2 emulated new devices. Of course, they also collected more than 3000$!

That's why I proposed collecting the money here in Dingonnity before launching the contest. A donate button will do the trick.

Ziz

• http://ziz.gp2x.de
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 03:15:30 pm »
I know, that some of the GCW emulator are "just" dirty recompilations of dingoonity emulator. So a good made amiga or atari st emulator would be a good entry. Or as mentioned a PSX emulator. I don't see, why this shouldn't be possible, I thought 3D acceleration is possible now?

However there were many contests with different categories, most of the time even more than two! But an application category may maybe not fit for the GCW as it fits for the Pandora. ;)

Just have a look at the RIOT digital competition or one of the plenty contest on the pandora board of the last few years.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. Wash

Dnilo

• Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
Is there any 'official' update on this? Donation-wise, rule-wise, category-wise

ker

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »
I want to remind everyone that at the gp32spain/Wiz Contest of 2010 were also two categories.

After the contest about 20 new games and 3 new emulators were published, along an emulator that was significantly improved (by the original author). From the 3 new emulator, 2 emulated new devices. Of course, they also collected more than 3000$!

That's why I proposed collecting the money here in Dingonnity before launching the contest. A donate button will do the trick.

I'll not be easy achieve that goal. I don't know how many GCW0 are out there, but I think they are not many.

I know, that some of the GCW emulator are "just" dirty recompilations of dingoonity emulator. So a good made amiga or atari st emulator would be a good entry. Or as mentioned a PSX emulator. I don't see, why this shouldn't be possible, I thought 3D acceleration is possible now?

However there were many contests with different categories, most of the time even more than two! But an application category may maybe not fit for the GCW as it fits for the Pandora. ;)

Just have a look at the RIOT digital competition or one of the plenty contest on the pandora board of the last few years.

I agree with you. Two categories: emulators and homebrew.

RodrigoCard (OP)

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »
No "Official" word yet. Just collecting opinions :)

I was thinking about TWO categories:

1- Original Software
2- Ported Software (Game or emulator ports made with minimum care and some other criteria, simple recompile wondnt be accepted)

And split the prizes between both.

What you think?

Beerman1138

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »
No "Official" word yet. Just collecting opinions :)

I was thinking about TWO categories:

1- Original Software
2- Ported Software (Game or emulator ports made with minimum care and some other criteria, simple recompile wondnt be accepted)

And split the prizes between both.

What you think?

Seconded. 

theweirdn8

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »

You should not be financially rewarded for making an emulator.

IT goes beyond the realm of ethics.

dcervi

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 08:16:47 pm »

You should not be financially rewarded for making an emulator.

IT goes beyond the realm of ethics.

Why not?

I bought my GCW Zero mainly for it's emulation capabilities, and I'm almost sure it wouldn't brought the same amount of interest if there weren't emulators for it.

Emulating another machine usually requires a lot of work and code optimization, and most of the time, a good emulator allows hundreds of gaming gems from our chilhood to be played, sometimes giving even a better gaming experience than the original hardware (better battery life, portability...)

So, in my opinion, a good emulator deserves it's prize as any other game.

Dnilo

• Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2014, 03:50:32 am »
I think original software should get a bigger reward than a port or emulator, like 70/30% respectively for each first place, or something close to that. Other than that should earn honorable mentions, period.

This way, anyone interested in creating something will aim high.

theweirdn8

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 04:26:05 pm »

There is a huge lack of original software on the zero, while emulators are flourishing.

Original Software needs a bailout, not the creation of psOne, n64 and dreamcast emulation....

RodrigoCard (OP)

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »

There is a huge lack of original software on the zero, while emulators are flourishing.

Original Software needs a bailout, not the creation of psOne, n64 and dreamcast emulation....

I agree, but this poll shows interest in these emulators anyway, so....

I think original software should get a bigger reward than a port or emulator, like 70/30% respectively for each first place, or something close to that. Other than that should earn honorable mentions, period.

This way, anyone interested in creating something will aim high.

...this should be a good solution. Better rewards to new software. :)

AtariHERO

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2014, 07:39:54 pm »

There is no more emulators to make but, crappy PSX and N64 ones.

Let's not waste time on this contest with those...

Amiga and Atari ST still are VERY green... :'(

theweirdn8

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:31 pm »

The emulation happy people are gonna dev them anyway, the original apps; not so much...

Ziz

• http://ziz.gp2x.de
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 09:22:33 am »

The emulation happy people are gonna dev them anyway, the original apps; not so much...
Will they?
Emulators don't grew on trees!
There must be people with
  • Knowledge
  • Interest
  • Spare Time
At least the second point we can encourage!
Please, just have a look at the Pandora scene. After YEARS new Emulators came out:
  • Nintendo DS
  • Mame with online Highscore
  • QEMU
  • Some wine attempts

Don't lie to yourself. Like the GP2X, the Caanoo, the Dingoo, the Wiz, the Pandora the GCW Zero is MADE for Emulators. Homebrew is funny and I myself produce it with pleasure. But the majority bought and uses this device for emulating older devices. ;)

Greetings
Ziz
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. Wash

Post a new topic
Post a new topic