Author Topic: How about a contest? To shake the things here.  (Read 17111 times)

Kloppix

Re: How about a contest? To shake the things here.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 07:20:27 pm »
This has been tried before and it went no where.... http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-general/fundraiser/

How about trying again?   ;)

I also agree with having two categories. However, I read the thread Yertle posted and I must say Zear has a strong point of view against ports & emulators.  He basically said it will lead to messy code, competition instead of collaboration and will not guarantee any updates in the future.

But what if we only accept open source emulators?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 10:49:43 pm »
The problem if ports are allowed (emus and games, I make no difference there) is that it is *much* less work to port something rather than developing from scratch, so it doesn't reward the people who worked hard, but people who just took the work of other people.

RodrigoCard (OP)

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 02:16:53 am »
I preffer something like a game-jam but not so short in time and with original entries.

Ports can be difficult to judge. Even if you only accept a "good port" or something ported and "improved", how can you define what is "good" or "improved"?

Obviously if someone write a MIPS dynarec for a Mupen64 port, that would be instantaneously declared "good" by most people. But if someone port a game, make a few changes and release it? The amount of work cant be measured correctly. The "merit" of his/her work also is different. I know by my own experience on a past competition, that caused me headaches....  :'(

On the other hand, The Zero is awesome and really needs some love, some incentive.... that is why I created this topic. I know well done ports have a pretty good value and should be accounted in some way.

Maybe some other way to incentive?

The problem if ports are allowed (emus and games, I make no difference there) is that it is *much* less work to port something rather than developing from scratch, so it doesn't reward the people who worked hard, but people who just took the work of other people.

THIS!

Beerman1138

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »
So why not both?  Why not a contest for each -- with a larger reward and longer runtime for the original content?

Aeter

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 01:20:21 pm »
A bounty for ports and/or emulators makes more sense.
A bounty for ports results in unmaintained projects. Just recompile a program and receive a bounty, while dedicated developers that worked on proper ports for much longer will miss out on any sort of reward. This is not a race. After a quick win these people are unlikely to actually be able to contribute anything to the emulator/program itself.

I'd suggest more of a focus on original software and games.
I don't really agree with you here.

If emulators are ported by just recompiling, any sane person would not vote for that, because to earn something you need to put effort in it.
If a lot of effort is put into porting an emulator and it actually is being actively developed on, optimizing it for the GCW0 and such, I would definitely support it.

A good comparison is ReGBA vs. the guy ported MedNafen to GCW0.
ReGBA is being actively developed and has a bunch good and dedicated programmers working on it.
The MedNafen emulator is just a buggy and cheap port, that was created by recompiling it.

All I'm saying is, anyone can decide for themselves if a project is worth the effort or not and I think the general mass will vote for the projects that took hard work and effort to create instead of cheap ports.

And at all those who say effort and hard work can't be measured, I call bs.
If someone works hard and puts a lot of effort in it, they WILL show it by showing progress and updates to their projects frequently, because they want to show people that they work hard, show people what they can do, have accomplished and want to receive acclaim for their work (although they might not say that out loud, but when it comes down to it, everyone likes a little feather up their pooper every now and then).

Now all this talk about cheap ports, makes want to go have a drink. ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:26:13 pm by Aeter »
~cucullus non facit monachum~

surfi80

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »
should reward originality and detailed effort of dev  :-\
Habitus non facit monachum
Spartans!  quod est opus vestrum job! AUUUH AUUUH AUUUH
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:29:14 pm by surfi80 »
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

Aeter

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 01:58:49 pm »
Habitus non facit monachum
Habitus, cucullus, why not both?
Might as well modernise the whole proverb and make it: Vestis non facunt homo.
(Yes these words are proper Latin and are not to be confused with their English swear word counterparts, it is kind of ironic how modernising an old Latin phrase causes this. Perhaps this is what's meant by Vulgar Latin).
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Dnilo

• Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 02:22:40 am »
I made a mistake and voted for 2, but I support 1.

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »
I think a problem is we still need someone trusted to volunteer to hold the price money. Someone not participating in the contest.

And some rules would have to be decided. Contest length? Voting, who can vote? Etc...

jxv

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »
I think a problem is we still need someone trusted to volunteer to hold the price money. Someone not participating in the contest.

So, we need someone who is trustworthy because s/he has been involved and won't submit an entry.
Maybe mth, Surkow, pcercuei, zear, Nebuleon, you, or a donor?
(I'm interested in competing, btw)

And some rules would have to be decided. Contest length? Voting, who can vote? Etc...

Contest length: 2-8 weeks depending on the requirements and/or rewards

Two categories of equal or non-equal weight:
- Donors
- And everybody else, including fellow competitors (who can't vote for themselves)

zear

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »
Maybe mth, Surkow, pcercuei, zear, Nebuleon, you, or a donor?
(I'm interested in competing, btw)
Nope, I'm interested in competing as well, as long as there are no emulators/ports in the same category as my homebrew entry.

Ziz

• http://ziz.gp2x.de
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »
I would compete with something, too. ;)
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. Wash

theweirdn8

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »

Yeah,

Emulators already dominate the system so we need more original content.

surfi80

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 02:49:20 pm »
many words but little action...if someone goes through with this, has my full support  8)

ker

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »

I offer myself to hold the price if you think I'm a reliable volunteer. This console needs a push.

surfi80

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »

I offer myself to hold the price if you think I'm a reliable volunteer. This console needs a push.

ker, I will support whatever it takes and I am willing to donate
Si te escapas con la pasta voy a tu casa eh jajajaja ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:07:57 pm by surfi80 »

theweirdn8

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 03:37:51 pm »

Make the contest last from June through August and get that gamejam page up.

RodrigoCard (OP)

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 04:09:18 am »
Emulators already dominate the system so we need more original content.

That is what I think! But I would also love any PC port that pushes the hardware limits... Just to impress other people and tell them to buy the Zero :)

RodrigoCard (OP)

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:21 am »
So...

Only Original Games or Apps: 27.8%
Original Games/Apps, Ports and Emulators in separate categories: 66.7%
Anything, all in the same bucket 5.6% (that would never work anyway)

I've reached my goal. Know if the interest in a competition with only original games was high enough.

after seeing these results, I wonder if at least half the people who have ZERO care about original homebrews.  :-[ :-[ :-[

jxv

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:13 am »
So...

Only Original Games or Apps: 27.8%
Original Games/Apps, Ports and Emulators in separate categories: 66.7%
Anything, all in the same bucket 5.6% (that would never work anyway)

I've reached my goal. Know if the interest in a competition with only original games was high enough.

after seeing these results, I wonder if at least half the people who have ZERO care about original homebrews.  :-[ :-[ :-[
That's not what the poll asked or necessarily implied. And, it's okay to want both.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic