Author Topic: Great things about this GCW:Zero. Go!  (Read 18897 times)

patrick81

Re: Great things about this GCW:Zero. Go!
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »
I see a couple different 64gb ones.  This one for mobile.  Will this work?  http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007UXTSTE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=price1153-20

It will work as long as I see "MicroSDXC"?

SNESFAN

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »
^those are what I use, yes they work

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »
Duke Nukem 3D! God I love this game. Many thanks to whoever ported this. I thought the controls would take some getting used to, but they are GREAT.

I have put hours and hours into this game  :)

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2013, 10:33:20 pm »
Duke Nukem 3D! God I love this game. Many thanks to whoever ported this. I thought the controls would take some getting used to, but they are GREAT.

I have put hours and hours into this game  :)

Is that on the OPK depository?

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 11:28:30 pm »
Yeah, Eduke32.

You need game files for it. I am running Duke Nukem 3d Atomic Edition. It runs GREAT. I don't know whats missing for it to not be officially released, but i have zero complaints.

Deagle275

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 01:15:19 am »
Yeah, Eduke32.

You need game files for it. I am running Duke Nukem 3d Atomic Edition. It runs GREAT. I don't know whats missing for it to not be officially released, but i have zero complaints.
Joke intnended or not?

zear

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 05:16:03 am »
I don't know whats missing for it to not be officially released, but i have zero complaints.
I need to port it over with the latest mainline code.

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 05:19:48 am »
Yeah, Eduke32.

Joke intnended or not?

Um no? What am i missing?

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 05:28:16 am »
I don't know whats missing for it to not be officially released, but i have zero complaints.
I need to port it over with the latest mainline code.

Awesome I can't wait! I honestly find myself making time for it each time I fire up my zero on the way to work.

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2013, 01:12:20 pm »
Yeah, Eduke32.

Is there a trick to using it?  I have the edukr32 opk in my apps folder, but it doesn't show up on my zero (I have the game files too)

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 01:48:35 pm »
No. I setup like anything else.

/media/data/apps/eduke32.opk
/media/data/local/home/.eduke32/DUKE3D.GRP

Shows up under the "Games" tab

opt2not (OP)

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »
Wow, this thread has gone so off topic...  :o

Another thing I love about this device is the reaction from people I show it to.

"it looks like a PSP, but a bit smaller"

"Do you have x game from my childhood?  You do!?  I can't believe it, this thing is like a star trek device!"

"It's so light!"

"The screen looks amazing!"

All in all, people I show this to are very impressed by the build quality, which I have to agree with. It feels great to hold, and after the initial "breaking-in" of the controls, it plays great too!

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 08:55:07 pm »

"Do you have x game from my childhood?  You do!?  I can't believe it, this thing is like a star trek device!"

"It's so light!"

"The screen looks amazing!"

These comments never happen to me, usually I get "nice gameboy..."  and then they run in the opposite direction. :(

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2013, 01:09:15 am »
I have caught people looking (especially those playing 3ds or vita), but have yet for someone to ask me about it.

alyinsanfran

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2013, 02:30:20 am »
I have caught people looking (especially those playing 3ds or vita), but have yet for someone to ask me about it.

Totally reminds me of a flight 10+ years ago to Japan. I was playing Up n Down on my GP32 and the guy next to me was fascinated but too shy (or had no English) to query the unit.

Speaking of which, I cannot wait for Mame!

Deagle275

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2013, 02:43:29 am »
Yeah, Eduke32.

Joke intnended or not?

Um no? What am i missing?
ZERO complaints ;)

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2013, 03:02:17 am »
ZERO complaints ;)

Haha - Thanks! I am a little slow ;D

Another thing that I love about the zero is that it keeps getting better! I like to check the board each day to see if anything new has been released

Yertle

• !
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2013, 04:44:56 am »
I gave my SE to a good friend of mine that has never had anything like this before. I gave it to him preloaded with thousands of games. I'm pretty sure he has ran the battery down every night since he has had it and that's not easy to do. He says it was the best gift he's ever gotten.

It's fun to share such a great device with friends!

opt2not (OP)

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2013, 10:19:11 am »
Another thing that I love about the zero is that it keeps getting better! I like to check the board each day to see if anything new has been released
^^ Yes! This.
It's really early in it's existence, but so far I've got a ton of value out of it. Well worth the wait!

I've had this thing for almost 2 months now, and I've played it practically everyday since. Not sure when I'll stop.  8)

vonzippenstein

• vonzippenstein.com
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 10:44:34 pm »
It's great for first person shooters. I got the full versions Doom, Doom 2, Duke 3D, Rise of the Triad, and Quake 2 patched in from my Steam library and haven't stopped since it arrived. Mostly Quake 2.

One issue that I worked around was the "Computer Update" on Quake 2 that requires you to hit F1 and get mission info. If you don't acknowledge it there will be a flashing computer icon at the bottom the whole game. Couldn't figure out how to work in a button for that so I opened the pak0.pak file, found the image "i_help.pcx", and cleared it out with pure white, which comes up transparent in game. Then slapped that pak into the OPK and never saw it again. Which brings me to another great thing about the GCW-Zero; modifying, packaging, and transferring files is so easy, especially with FTP.
[update] Vato says when he used GIMP2 the color was #9f5b53 and not pure white for transparent.

Also, I like how customizable the controls are. Here's the control scheme I've been using:

B and A are swapped out for different functions between games, like Run and Open for Doom and ROTT.

I can't wait to play some original Quake. Anyone got a link to the project page or thread?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:44:05 pm by vonzippenstein »