• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Got my Zero 10 minutes ago... Screen Bezel Issue SOLVED  (Read 4294 times)

Yrx (OP)

Got my Zero 10 minutes ago... Screen Bezel Issue SOLVED
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:02:26 pm »
BIG EDIT! THERE IS A SECOND SCREEN PROTECTOR UNDER THE OBVIOUS ONE. Thank you, zear!

I got my Special Edition Zero about 10 minutes ago, booted it up to make sure everything was fine, looks good! So I turn it back off again and start looking for emulators, I notice that the screen protector is really scuffed up, there's a line in the bottom corner of the bezel (luckily where it's just the border), and there are a couple of pinprick dots in the middle of the screen. I kind of assumed it was just a protective film like they put on most glossy electronics.

So I take the garbage looking screen protector off, and wipe the screen with my shirt, same as I've been doing for every handheld I've owned since the original Gameboy. INSTANTLY, there are now noticeable scratches on the screen, after a single wipe from a regular old t shirt. Then I took a plain kleenex and tried to see if maybe it was just something I could buff away, but now there are tons of micro scratches all over the screen. I just got this thing and I haven't even played a single game on it.

I'm sharing this for two reasons. First, obviously I'm unhappy and venting, especially after everything that happened to get to where we are today. Second, do NOT remove the screen protector when you receive your unit, no matter how terrible it looks or if it looks like a film you're supposed to remove. The plastic on the bevel is disgustingly soft for use on something like this, and I personally find it unacceptable. I REALLY don't want to ask for a refund after all this, but I'm definitely going to be emailing Justin and asking about my options. I REALLY hope that the standard Kickstarter units used a different plastic in the bezel, otherwise I can imagine this is going to be the first commercial revision they make. I thought this was an issue that was already brought up and fixed...

(Other than that, everything looks awesome. I'm just incredibly ticked off right now.)

EDIT: I just sent an email to the "gcwnow" address... Hopefully this can be resolved somewhat painlessly...

mod edit: removed annoying yellow text formatting
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:49:31 am by omgmog »

zear

Re: Got my Zero 10 minutes ago... Screen Bezel Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:17:00 pm »
That sounds like another screen protector. Since what you described is EXACTLY like the screen protectors we had on our prototypes. It might not look like a screen protector at first, but try to pry it at the edge of the screen. We were using our units for months before we figured out it wasn't a shitty bezel, but a hard to notice thin removable layer of plastic. I have not a scratch on my unit since.

captainron

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
There's definitely a second screen protector, just peel it off.

Yrx (OP)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »
That sounds like another screen protector. Since what you described is EXACTLY like the screen protectors we had on our prototypes. It might not look like a screen protector at first, but try to pry it at the edge of the screen. We were using our units for months before we figured out it wasn't a shitty bezel, but a hard to notice thin removable layer of plastic.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! You're exactly right! The screen is beautiful... ;D

Prophet

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »
While scary to read at first, it's good to know in advance about the secondary protector.

Justin needs to offer those for sale so we can replace them if needed.

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:22 pm »
I'm glad this worked out, it had me slightly worried.  :)

zear

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »
That sounds like another screen protector. Since what you described is EXACTLY like the screen protectors we had on our prototypes. It might not look like a screen protector at first, but try to pry it at the edge of the screen. We were using our units for months before we figured out it wasn't a shitty bezel, but a hard to notice thin removable layer of plastic.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! You're exactly right! The screen is beautiful... ;D
Now since you owe me that one, I wouldn't mind if in return you made a quick review of the hardware/software for us (I can't be the only person here dying of curiosity) ;D

Yrx (OP)

Re: Got my Zero 10 minutes ago... Screen Bezel Issue SOLVED
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:39:04 pm »
Those little pinpricks are still there, but they don't look nearly as bad and I can live with it. I will have to order some kind of high quality protector for this since I removed the one it came with...

zear: Will do! May be a little while. So far, all I have to report is that down on the d-pad sticks sometimes. The tolerance is a little tight. Most likely it will loosen up over time.

Now, how the heck do you change the volume in-game?

zear

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:40:56 pm »
Hold the power button in up position, then use d-pad up/down to change the volume or left/right to change the screen brightness. Just watch out to not hold the power button by itself for more than 3sec, or it will poweroff the device.

Power + select is another important button combination. It kills the currently running game and gets back to the game selection menu. This might be useful if the game freezes or something and you can't get out.

johnnyonflame

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:50 pm »
Like I told somebody else on IRC, the D-PAD needs to be used for a while to "get in shape", but after that its all love.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »
Just watch out to not hold the power button by itself for more than 3sec, or it will poweroff the device.
3 seconds without pressing another key, that is (pressing power+button for more than 3 seconds is fine).

AztroZombie

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:50 pm »
Like I told somebody else on IRC, the D-PAD needs to be used for a while to "get in shape", but after that its all love.

Good to know because the "up" on my d-pad feels different than the other directions, all other buttons feel nice and really responsive. Analog nub is a bit tight, but that's comparing it to a DS. It will either loosen up or I will get used to it. Is there a headphone jack? I only see a "TV OUT" port that looks like one...

Is there a button combo to get back to the main menu? I got stuck in an application/game and had to hit reset because I couldn't get out of it.

zear

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:33 pm »
Is there a headphone jack? I only see a "TV OUT" port that looks like one...
That's the one. It doubles as a headphone port :)

Is there a button combo to get back to the main menu? I got stuck in an application/game and had to hit reset because I couldn't get out of it.
Power + select is another important button combination. It kills the currently running game and gets back to the game selection menu. This might be useful if the game freezes or something and you can't get out.
Also, what game? Is it powder by any chance? I'm already working on a fix for freezes in Powder.
You should never EVER press the reset button unless you are stuck at a kernel panic. Doing a hard reset too often might result in filesystem corruption.

AztroZombie

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:59 pm »

Also, what game? Is it powder by any chance? I'm already working on a fix for freezes in Powder.

I think it was UMG, I held power and the screen went black but the sound was still on  ??? But please keep in mind that I have no f-ing idea what I am doing.

zear

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »

I think it was UMG, I held power and the screen went black but the sound was still on  ???

How long did you hold it? If you held it for 3+sec without any other button pressed, it triggered a poweroff command and then the system was probably waiting for the game to terminate.

Edit:
I am able to replicate your issue in UMG. It happens when you try to poweroff the device while UMG is running. Thanks for spotting a bug! :)
We added the poweroff with the power button just few days before the flashing, so it wasn't properly tested. For now I suggest to shut down the device via the menu icon. That one is known to work properly.

ace9094

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:01 pm »
Just curious but where in the world do you live?

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Yrx (OP)

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
I actually live in Illinois. I think I might have been one of the first people to fill out the address confirmation form, because that's the only reason I can imagine I got it so fast.

zear, I wrote some impressions like you wanted. ;) They're in the videos and reviews thread.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic